"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

If they do that to me it will be our first and last cruise on Royal. Stupidity.

As petty as it sounds, those are the rules and you are now aware of them. If and when yours is confiscated, you can hardly blame RCI for it. Try to enjoy your cruise otherwise.

As petty as it sounds, those are the rules and you are now aware of them. If and when yours is confiscated, you can hardly blame RCI for it. Try to enjoy your cruise otherwise.

I was referring to having my sunscreen checked for alcohol... way over top top in my opinion and indicative of deeper running attitude problems.

Now I wasn't planning on smuggling any contraband... but I will let others do the flaming.

I think this is more of a Grandeur/Tampa thing. I have heard this before about the Grandeur when she sails out of Tampa.

I know they dont care on the Monarch or the Freedom since we normally take a bag with nothing but beer and not once has it been an issue.

Actually, if you look at it this way - they call you down to the room and make you open the suitcase and take the alcohol out - It could be worse - they could rummage through your bags, take it out, send the bags to your room, and keep it. you could be served your alcohol sometime during the week. or the crew could have one nice party. what would you do - go to the desk and say that someone stole the alcohol you were smuggling - i don't think so!!!

I remeber the last time I packed any alcohol in my luggage - I'm not talking large quantities but one 1/2 pint and 1 mini bottle because I thought it would be nice to have the particular items for drinks on the balcony. I was sooooo stressed waiting for our luggage and then we never even mixed drinks in the room.

I don't even bother now.

My mother, who is 76, just got off the Grandeur. She went to the naughty room to retrieve her bag over 2 miniature (ie. 2oz) bottles of rum. Now that's getting petty.

It's totally ridiculous. I was the one who pretty well assured her she would never be caught - especially with that piddly amount, and she's hauled in over 4 oz of rum. So she hobbles down to the pursers desk (she was in a handicapped room having just had a knee replacement) and they ask her for the booze. Nice.
YOU deliberatly disregard the rules you are well aware of and RCL is ridiculous?

I am not sure I understand the arguments being made in this thread. Royal Caribbean has a rule prohibiting people from bringing alcohol, and some are mad that Royal confisicated someone's alcohol? Sounds like they did what they are supposed to do. I do not get it. :confused::rolleyes:

What part of "No alcohol is to be brought onboard" don't you understand?

Maybe you should be asking RCCL that question, instead.

Unless they enforce it consistently, which they have never done, I guess we'll never "understand." Are WE to take the rules seriously when the cruise line does not?

When I smuggle a box of wine on board, it does not equate to an equal amount of unsold RCCL wine. It just means my wife can enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony without venturing out to find it in one of the bars. Without her box of wine, she'd just have none until dinner. Because of this, my "smuggling" causes RCCL no damages and I certainly don't feel any guilt over it, and I'll continue to do it until I'm stopped.

The uniformity in enforcing is not a good argument. I think it's obvious that the same people are not at every single port, therefore, the attention span of the people reading the scanners will vary. The policy set forth by the cruise line is 100% uniform, but can only be enforced by the individuals at the numerous embarkation piers.

Example....state law says speeding is illegal. However, every cop enforces it differently.

I'm sure RCI staff have heard every excuse under the sun when pax are called down about alcohol that has been smuggled.

For some people playing stupid comes naturally and they are probably much harder to catch because they are so believable.;)

Wow!

You seem to have a low opinion of your fellow cruisers. Must be great being you.:rolleyes:

The primary purpose of inspecting baggage should be safety. Calling people down over tiny airplane bottles and their sunscreen speaks of an unhealthy and unsafe fixation with finding alcohol. Would they fail to notice twelve sticks of dynamite in someone's bag because it didn't look like alcohol?

I would hope they are watching for truly dangerous and evil things and are not too preoccupied with petty alcohol.

I would hope they are watching for truly dangerous and evil things an not preoccupied with petty alcohol.

I've seen the naughty table. Believe me, they catch a lot more than just alcohol. The table had irons, knives, and even a sword. Yes, a sword.

The primary purpose of inspecting baggage should be safety. Calling people down over tiny airplane bottles and their sunscreen speaks of an unhealthy and unsafe fixation with finding alcohol. Would they fail to notice twelve sticks of dynamite in someone's bag because it didn't look like alcohol?

I would hope they are watching for truly dangerous and evil things and are not too preoccupied with petty alcohol.

Why would searching for one preclude the other? If they are having success at finding small bottles of alcohol, that would make me more confident that they are doing a good job scanning for potentially dangerous contraband as well.

The uniformity in enforcing is not a good argument. I think it's obvious that the same people are not at every single port, therefore, the attention span of the people reading the scanners will vary. The policy set forth by the cruise line is 100% uniform, but can only be enforced by the individuals at the numerous embarkation piers.

Example....state law says speeding is illegal. However, every cop enforces it differently.

So let's illustrate using your example...

Let's say the OP had been driving her car at 150MPH down the same road every day for years, traveling alongside state troopers while doing so, and she's never even been acknowledged by any law enforcement, then one day her mother gets stopped and ticketed on that same road for driving 1MPH over the limit. You wouldn't think that would be worth questioning, or calling "ridiculous"?

Let's say the OP had been driving her car at 150MPH down the same road every day for years, traveling alongside state troopers while doing so, and she's never even been acknowledged by any law enforcement, then one day her mother gets stopped and ticketed on that same road for driving 1MPH over the limit. You wouldn't think that would be worth questioning, or calling "ridiculous"?

I think you are twisting his words. Do you really not understand the point that he was making? Think of it this way - most people who drink and drive do not get caught. Does this mean that someone who is busted for drinking and driving should (instead of taking responsiblity) be upset at the police officer or at the law, because the other 25 times they drank and drive they got away with it?

Royal cannot catch everyone, every time they smuggle. When someone is busted, they should acknowledge they broke the rules rather than try to justify their behavior (i.e. because of their age, the amount of liquor, how many times they have done it before and got away with it etc.) and/or blame the cruise line.

I think you are twisting his words. Do you really not understand the point that he was making? Think of it this way - most people who drink and drive do not get caught. Does this mean that someone who is busted for drinking and driving should (instead of taking responsiblity) be upset at the police officer or at the law, because the other 25 times they drank and drive they got away with it?

Royal cannot catch everyone, every time they smuggle. When someone is busted, they should acknowledge they broke the rules rather than try to justify their behavior (i.e. because of their age, the amount of liquor, how many times they have done it before and got away with it etc.) and/or blame the cruise line.

I admit to the twisting :-)

I happen to think, though, that this policy is enforced selectively. Do you think the policy is enforced exactly the same on a 3-day spring break cruise as it is on a long cruise with mostly older pax? Even by the same staff? If so, then we'll just have to, as they say, agree to disagree.

It's a rule that turns people off, and naturally RCCL doesn't want to turn off too many people. So they do just enough of it to illustrate that they're making an effort at it. Or maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

It's a rule that turns people off, and naturally RCCL doesn't want to turn off too many people. So they do just enough of it to illustrate that they're making an effort at it. Or maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?
You're exactly right. They're going to give the bags a quick search, and they're going to find SOME alcohol. Judging from these posts, the majority of it gets through.

I've brought a small amount of alcohol on every cruise. I'm going to continue bringing a small amount of alcohol. If it's ever found, I won't be upset, and I won't be a bit embarassed to go pick up my suitcase. There's really no downside; you're going to get it back at the end of the cruise.

You're exactly right. They're going to give the bags a quick search, and they're going to find SOME alcohol. Judging from these posts, the majority of it gets through.

I've brought a small amount of alcohol on every cruise. I'm going to continue bringing a small amount of alcohol. If it's ever found, I won't be upset, and I won't be a bit embarassed to go pick up my suitcase. There's really no downside; you're going to get it back at the end of the cruise.

I concur with this. Some people try and smuggle a fully stocked bar onboard, but I do not. If I get busted I'll face the music and I try to figure out a better way to do it the next time. It's not like I'm trying to smuggle heroin in to Turkey and sooner or later the law of averages catches up to everybody.

I just hope it doesn't happen this sunday.:eek::eek:

i would have opened both minis in the naughty room and chugged them, then handed them the empties and burped.

Hell Yea! :D Just what I would have done too.. this is extream and rediculous.

Although we really enjoyed our Radiance Cruise, I am looking at Celebrity for the future. I dont like the feeling of being treated like a child. Right down to the mini bar's having no alcohol in them...:rolleyes:

I admit to the twisting :-)

I happen to think, though, that this policy is enforced selectively. Do you think the policy is enforced exactly the same on a 3-day spring break cruise as it is on a long cruise with mostly older pax? Even by the same staff? If so, then we'll just have to, as they say, agree to disagree.

Your last paragraph is probably somewhat true. About more stringently enforcing the rules during Spring Break - that is also probably true. I live in a resort area with 3 major motorcycle events per year - trust me - certain laws are more stringently enforced during those 3 weeks than the other 49 put together. That is the nature of the beast when trying to control what could possibly be a very difficult situation.

Like Gonzo said, you really twisted my words unfairly.

But that being said, you went on later to say that it was not enforced uniformly. Whether or not you realize it, you said almost the same thing I did.

Archived