Hotel Continental Barcelona

Murphey

Ok...I'm on the fence with this hotel! Is it in a safe place? We are going to be staying 2 nights....coming in on Saturday morning & want to rest up before going to the fountains in the evening & then spend Sunday sight seeing before our Monday cruise. Is it easy to get to from the Aerobus?

It's a very safe place. And very easy from the Aerobus. When you get off the bus walk about 1/2 block (albeit a long block) on La Rambla and it will be on your left. (It has a white awning that says Continental on it. We didn't stay there, I gave our reservation to our friends who went with us at the last minute and needed a place, we stayed on the corner. I liked their place much better. The guy who runs it is very nice. My friends who stayed there were very happy with it. Get a room with a balcony...

Ok...I'm on the fence with this hotel! Is it in a safe place? We are going to be staying 2 nights....coming in on Saturday morning & want to rest up before going to the fountains in the evening & then spend Sunday sight seeing before our Monday cruise. Is it easy to get to from the Aerobus?

We have stayed at this hotel twice and will be staying again in a couple weeks. When you get off the Airport bus walk with your back to Ingles across the Placa Cataluyna. Look for the Hard Rock Cafe and go a block past that to get to Las Rambles. Keep on the left on Las Rambles and look for the white circular awning. Always use the elevator because one time we saw a vagrant sleeping in the stair well. We wouldn't be staying here for a third time if we didn't feel safe.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked along with several from our Liberty TA Roll Call in both the Hotel Continental and Hotel Continental Palaceta 4 blocks away. This will be our 1st time in Europe and have had 2nd thoughts about staying here and considering a newer Hotel. We will be there 3 days Pre Cruise.

We are booked along with several from our Liberty TA Roll Call in both the Hotel Continental and Hotel Continental Palaceta 4 blocks away. This will be our 1st time in Europe and have had 2nd thoughts about staying here and considering a newer Hotel. We will be there 3 days Pre Cruise.

I'm not sure if you've read the reviews on Tripadvisor, but if not, I would recommend reading through a number of them to see what people like and dislike about the hotels. This should give you a good idea of whether it's appropriate for you or not.

We stayed at the Palacete for 2 nights pre-cruise and I liked the location, but wasn't enthused about our room. It was very small, very pink, hard beds, and I thought the Rubbermaid style night tables/dressers were a bit unusual.

On the plus side, it was quiet (inside room), clean and the food was good for breakfast and snacks.

I wouldn't say that I'm sorry we stayed there, but I would try another hotel upon our return to Barcelona.

After posting above, I had a look at the posts on page 1, and saw AndynApril's photos ... and it brought back another memory, and something I mentioned in my review on Tripadvisor. The beds seemed short, and I wondered if they were even 6 feet long as my DH's feet hung over the end (just as Andy's are in the photo.) :) (DH is 6' tall.)

Susan, most reviews I have read other then the pink, are very good, regarding the service, food and location. My original thinking other then our 1st day after flying all day and night from So Calif, we will be touring the City on the 27th, relaxing more the 28th and leave for our ship on the 29th. so cost might be a factor to move to a larger hotel. Presently our Oct 29, 2011 Roll Call some #35 of us has the Hotel Continental booked & filling up the Palaceta. Rest will be scattered, or those coming from nearby will come in day of cruise.

DC: You mentioned you were having second thoughts in your earlier post, but if it was only because of the pink, then you'll be fine. I thought there might have been other concerns, hence my thoughts above.

If you only care about location, then this place cant be beat. We would not stay there again however.

After booking a year in advance, we were told they were oversold and we had to move to another hotel. After insisting that we would not move, we got a standard room instead of our balcony room. Couldn't figure this out as many others in our group booked way after us and werent asked to switch hotels.

The free buffet looks much better on the website than in person. I did enjoy the free sodas and beer, the wine was undrinkable.

You have to get buzzed into and out of each floor for security reasons. The floors above the hotel (4 and 5) are hostels, some very interesting folks staying there:rolleyes:.

Like I said the location is awesome, but be prepared for very small pink rooms.

• 1 month later...

I thought the buffet would be better, like someone else said, not sure what most of it was. Free drinks were nice, and the computer in the lobby was helpful. Interesting rooms, but nothing I would do again, not for that price.

Happy cruising....Joanne

I thought the buffet would be better, like someone else said, not sure what most of it was. Free drinks were nice, and the computer in the lobby was helpful. Interesting rooms, but nothing I would do again, not for that price.

Happy cruising....Joanne

Totally agree. The buffet was nearly empty when we were there. A couple of pieces of fruit and that was about it.

Pre cruise we stayed at the Hotel Jazz for 101 E/night. The rate had risen significantly there post cruise, so we decided to stay at the Continental. NO comparison in the two rooms.

Hotel Continental was very clean, but TINY, no where to put your suitcase, and hardly any room to get by the bed to get in. One night was enough - a real experience, but enough.

We have stayed there twice and have had 2 completely different experiences. The first time was in Nov of 2007. We had a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas and thought things were great. Buffet was very good and we managed to overlook the pink decor.

So, when we returned to the Med in Nov of last year, we booked again without hestitation. This time it was a nightmare! It seems that the hotel had undergone what they proudly called a renovation but did nothing to improve the hotel. Our room was so small we literally jumped from the door into bed. Our so-called balcony led onto a cement walled-in space that just send my claustrophobia into overdrive and the buffet was so pitiful, we went elsewhere for breakfast. Staff was friendly,but even that did not make up for the inadequacies of the place.

Have not stayed at the Palacete,but will definitely not be staying at the Hotel Barcelona again! shelly:)

I was at the Continental Barcelona the last week of April. They were still doing "renovations." If they actually did anything from November, I sure couldn't see it. It looks very tired and worn. The only reason I stayed there was because the 2 friends I was traveling with made the reservations. I'm used to staying at much better places (Westins, local 4 stars), and I was pretty uncomfortable when I walked in there. I've walked out of places like that in the US, but I couldn't do that this time. I made the best of it. It was clean and I had a balcony single room, so I could at least have the doors open. I'm glad we did so much walking around day and night that I didn't spend much time in there at all. The best part of the hotel was watching the Champions League semi game between Barcelona and Lyon there. A local TV station was set up there to film the crowds after the game. They had a TV set up in the little dining area and we all could watch the raw feed come in - it was really like being there. Sat there, ate the stuff we picked up at La Boqueria market that day, and drank the wine and beer and had a good time with the TV crew.

Unless you are comfortable staying at 2 star hotels in the US, I would stay away from the Continental.

We stayed at the Hotel Continental last year (loved it) but the elevator broke down one evening/into morning. Seems like I've read other comments about the elevator being down and having to hike up/down the stairs. Anyway, we're staying again this November and since husband is in wheelchair this year, am concerned about it -- he can walk but not all those stairs. Does anyone know if there is a freight or rear service elevator that can be used in emergencies?

Thanks for your help.

When did you stay at the Jazz ? I can't believe your rate of 101 E a night unless it was many years ago. Who did you book your room through ?

They just quoted me 216 E for Sept 2011.

Totally agree. The buffet was nearly empty when we were there. A couple of pieces of fruit and that was about it.

Pre cruise we stayed at the Hotel Jazz for 101 E/night. The rate had risen significantly there post cruise, so we decided to stay at the Continental. NO comparison in the two rooms.

Hotel Continental was very clean, but TINY, no where to put your suitcase, and hardly any room to get by the bed to get in. One night was enough - a real experience, but enough.

When did you stay at the Jazz ? I can't believe your rate of 101 E a night unless it was many years ago. Who did you book your room through ?

They just quoted me 216 E for Sept 2011.

We stayed there May 25 and 26 of this year before our Med Cruise. Others in our group were there on the 24th, too. Booked online directly with the hotel.

Thanks for the quick reply. How far ahead did you book ? Did you book initially and then cancelled and rebooked as the price dropped ? This is what I have heard others have done.

We stayed there May 25 and 26 of this year before our Med Cruise. Others in our group were there on the 24th, too. Booked online directly with the hotel.

Thanks for the quick reply. How far ahead did you book ? Did you book initially and then cancelled and rebooked as the price dropped ? This is what I have heard others have done.

We booked about 6 or 7 months ahead. The price never went any lower, so there was no need to cancel and rebook.

Archived