Hotel Continental Barcelona

Murphey

Thank you in advance. I am looking for some recent experiences with this property. I found it through CC where it has been recommended. However, I have run across some dreadful reviews (Trip Advisor), but still trust the personal opinions of this website. If it wasn't for being responsible for travel companions, I would be less concerned!! :o

In addition, could anyone let me know what the cab fare might be from the port. Thanks sooo much....

Sorry, didn't stay there but at least can tell you that the location is really good. I agree that sometimes the reviews on Trip Advisor should be taken with a grain of salt, especially from people who have only 1 post.

I found taxis to be very reasonable in Barcelona so I'd guesstimate 10euros or so which is about $15 but it also depends on how much luggage you have as they charge extra for more suitcases.

When I was there I stayed at the Onix Rambla Hotel.

It is not fancy but quiet rooms, clean bathrooms, and decent breakfast buffet on a very pretty street.

We truly enjoyed out two night stay at the Hotel Continental last February after our 21 day cruise on the Jade! We had a balcony room overlooking Las Ramblas and the free buffet turned out to be all the food we needed after "pigging" out for 21 days on the ship!! The included beer and wine were great for sipping out on our balcony and watching the action on the Ramblas! Our room and bath were small, but clean. We had no complaints. Oh yes, they have free internet access available! Just one computer, but we had plenty of time on it to check our flights home and other email. We actually walked from the ship to the hotel the morning of disembarkatin rolling our suitcases there. We were not the only ones either! On the morning we left for the airport we just rolled our case around the corner to the Airport Bus. Very easy and convenient!

We are staying there in March. We aren't too worried about all the reviews. ;)

I found this website to be helpful:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Based on the info there, we will be walking to the end of La rambla and then getting on the 'Blue Bus" or possibly walking the whole way.....

Hope this helps.

In August 2009, the cab fare was E$23(excluding tips) for 4 adults with 5 large suitcases & 4 handcarriers. We had to wait for an SUV type of cab to fit all the suitcases.

The hotel was extremely conveniently located but dated & run down. I would not stay there again. The so called all day buffet was ok if you do not want to spend any $ on food. I would eat elsewhere. Yes, indeed the free internet was convenient for (flight)checking in on line.

Have a great cruise !

Yes, indeed the free internet was convenient for (flight)checking in on line.

We'll be staying here in the fall. I didn't think they offered a printer in the lobby. How does one check in for flight without a printer? Will they run it off for you at the desk or something. I'd prefer checking in for our flight at the hotel if that is possible.

You check in on line BUT in most of Europe you have to get your boarding pass at the airport. In my experience IF you print it at the hotel you STILL have to check in at the airport and get an "official" one there.

Thanks. Ugh. What advantage is there to checking in online then?

We'll be staying here in the fall. I didn't think they offered a printer in the lobby. How does one check in for flight without a printer? Will they run it off for you at the desk or something. I'd prefer checking in for our flight at the hotel if that is possible.

The hotel receptionist printed our check in papers FREE of charge the night before our flight ! We still had to check in at the airport (on line counter for those who already checked in - this line is much shorter) because we (4 people) had 5 large suitcases.

Have a wonderful cruise !

Thanks. Ugh. What advantage is there to checking in online then?

We did not fly directly home after our cruise & short stay in Barcelona. We flew to Amsterdam and stayed there for 5 days. We were not given seat assignments for the short flight from Barcelona to Amsterdam. We all wanted aisle seats.

Have an awesome cruise !

I think it is always a good thing to check in on line if allowed so that you are officially in the computer early as "checked in". It always makes me feel more comfortable but don't know if it actually does anything good. Perhaps it makes it less likely that you would be bumped as you would be one of the first checked in??

I think it is always a good thing to check in on line if allowed so that you are officially in the computer early as "checked in". It always makes me feel more comfortable but don't know if it actually does anything good. Perhaps it makes it less likely that you would be bumped as you would be one of the first checked in??

Yes, this is so true ! We have been bumped years ago! We were at the airport 3hrs prior to departure time and it happened to us ! I had to make a scene & a case before our family of 5 got onto the plane. It was the only flight we did not have seat assignments.

We have assigned seats already, though I've heard of folks even being bumped from those. I guess, between bumping possibilities, and 'hopefully' a shorter line, it would be best to check in at the hotel online for our flights. Thanks for all the info. Having never done this overseas, I'm a bit green behind the ears yet on details. Thanks folks.

FYI: There are two Hotel Continental's. One is right on La Rambla & one is a little further down. Still in a good location & not too far.

We stayed at the one a little further down (can't remember the name at this moment).

Here is my opinion:

If you are only staying there one night or need a budget property, then this is an ok place to stay. Our room had two really hard twin beds pushed together. The room was all decorated in bright pink. Our window had a view to the plumbing pipes & airconditioning. We could hear the water run down the pipes when the people above us flushed the toilets. I know one of the advantages of this hotel is the free buffet. Let me just say this. I'm a pretty adventurous eater & I would not even try about 80% of the mystery food in the buffet. There was some fruit, etc. I would only condsider this for snacking & wouldn't count on it for meals. The on tap beer & wine was pretty cool. Maybe the food appeals more to European travelers? Anyway, not trying to be a downer. Just be prepared. The people there are very nice & the location is very good. As I said it's very adequate for one night or if you need a budget place to stay. If your budget allows I would upgrade to a nicer place - JUST MY OPINION. Hope this helps.

andynapril ~ Thanks for posting those pictures. We're staying at the Continental for three nights next September and after seeing your pics are greatly encouraged! We, too, had read some discouraging remarks on Trip Advisor and wondered what we were getting into. For European standards the bedroom and bath are quite large and I'll just overlook the fru-fru decor.

Ok - now I AM confused. Looking at thier web site it appears that the two hotel names are: Hotel Continental Palacete and the Hotel Continental Barcelona

So, which one is "walking distance" from the pier as mentioned above and which one has the pink rooms in the pictures?

I beleive that Hotel Continental Barcelona is the one that is closest to the pier. We stayed there this past December.

Be very aware of your surroundings while in Barcelona. Try not to carry a handbag. There are lots of pickpockets there. To enter the hotel, there is an alcove that is recessed from the sidewalk, you enter an elevator and go up 1 floor to sign in at the desk.

One couple that was staying there for 1 night before the cruise had their wallet stolen out of their handbag in the elevator. When they entered the elevator there were 3 men in it. One of the men sprayed something on the ladies coat. Another man pretended to help her wipe it off. When she got to the desk, she discovered that her wallet was missing from her handbag.

Another lady staying 1 night before the same cruise, got out of the taxi from the airport and had her purse taken while collecting her luggage from the taxi to go into the hotel. Someone who works at the hotel saw this happen.

This happened to both parties on the same day in Dec prior to the TA on the Azamara Journey. This was also the same day that we arrived.

We will be there again in May and are undecided as to if we will be staying there again.

I also agree with the previous poster about the buffet not being so good.

Ok - now I AM confused. Looking at thier web site it appears that the two hotel names are: Hotel Continental Palacete and the Hotel Continental Barcelona

So, which one is "walking distance" from the pier as mentioned above and which one has the pink rooms in the pictures?

The Hotel Continental Barcelona is the closer one - on La Rambla. I'm not sure about "walking distance". I guess if you took the shuttle from the ship to the port entrance you could walk, but you would have all you luggage? Not worth it to me. The taxis in Barcelona are really reasonable. You can walk right off the ship & grab a taxi (we only waited a few minutes) and it probably wouldn't cost you more than about 10E. Just my opionion.

The Hotel Continental is the "walking distance" hotel. It is more than a mile and more than most cruise passengers will want to walk with their luggage. La Rambla is crowded with people and not the place I would want to be dragging luggage.

The round trip walk from the shuttle drop off point without luggage was delightful.

Archived