Tipping for room service on Carnival ?

WouldBeCruiser

This is my first time cruising on Carnival.

From reading the other threads, I'm assuming that the tips are automatically added to my bill for the cruise ( to my onboard account).

On my previous cruise, ( Holland America) the only person we tipped personally was the room service waiter who brought coffee and tea to our room each morning. Is this the usual procedure on Carnival too?.

I like the automatic system - it saves me from worrying about how much and who to give to.

Also - as long as I agree with the total on my account, and assuming that everything is correct, will it automatically be charged to my credit card without my having to go and stand in the long lineup to pay?

I sure hope so. I love the idea of the automatic "check-out", as I am always impatient and hate waiting in line if there is no reason.

Keep in mind, that a little extra tipping, upfront, goes a long way for getting great service. Now Im not syaing you wont have good service, lol, just that lil extra almost guarantees "great" service. We tip a lil to our room steward the first time we see him and our waiters in the dining room. Always the room service, small amount as others have said.

Thank you all for your speedy replies. I was pretty sure that I had it right - but wanted to check JIC.

You will also be able to keep track of how much is charged to your S&S account through the interactive TV in your cabin. And you can book all of your shore excursions through the TV also, the tickets will be delivered to your cabin the night before the excursion, so much easier than standing in line at the desk.

I usually keep a small stack of $1 in the top drawer of the dresser to tip the room service people with. I will also tip my room steward extra if I've asked for some kind of special service at the time of service, but not usually up front.

I've always received excellent cabin service regardless of tipping extra or not.

Keep in mind, that a little extra tipping, upfront, goes a long way for getting great service. Now Im not syaing you wont have good service, lol, just that lil extra almost guarantees "great" service. We tip a lil to our room steward the first time we see him and our waiters in the dining room. Always the room service, small amount as others have said.

Agreed.

If someone is getting up at 5AM in the morning to be available to lug a tray of food/coffee/what have you from the kitchen to my private cabin so I have the leisure of laying in bed until the instant I am ready for having a sip of coffee - I think he/she is deserving of a tip. And a bit more than a dollar, at that. IMHO.

This is my first time cruising on Carnival.

From reading the other threads, I'm assuming that the tips are automatically added to my bill for the cruise ( to my onboard account).

On my previous cruise, ( Holland America) the only person we tipped personally was the room service waiter who brought coffee and tea to our room each morning. Is this the usual procedure on Carnival too?.

I like the automatic system - it saves me from worrying about how much and who to give to.

Also - as long as I agree with the total on my account, and assuming that everything is correct, will it automatically be charged to my credit card without my having to go and stand in the long lineup to pay?

I sure hope so. I love the idea of the automatic "check-out", as I am always impatient and hate waiting in line if there is no reason.[/quote

You are correct on all counts. The person who brings your room service order needs a little extra ($1-3) depending on how much they had to deal with. Just don't make the mistake I did. I ordered room service the night before for coffee in the AM & slept past the time. The server woke me with a knock on the door. I did not have a tip ready & dug through my money in the dark not wanting to wake up others in the room. As he returned to the hall I saw I had mistakenly given him a $20. For the next few days there was a parade of servers bringing stuff I didn't order or just stopping by to see if there was anything I needed. I finally talked to the purser (guest services?) about the situation - we laughed, & the unwanted attention stopped. Lesson learned, now I always have the tip out & ready in the light.

The server woke me with a knock on the door. I did not have a tip ready & dug through my money in the dark not wanting to wake up others in the room. As he returned to the hall I saw I had mistakenly given him a $20.

Great advice - I've done that before, but not to the tune of $20. Now, I put away singles and fives for weeks before my cruise to make sure I have enough small bills for tips.

Agreed.

If someone is getting up at 5AM in the morning to be available to lug a tray of food/coffee/what have you from the kitchen to my private cabin so I have the leisure of laying in bed until the instant I am ready for having a sip of coffee - I think he/she is deserving of a tip. And a bit more than a dollar, at that. IMHO.

you will find your cabin steward awake and in the halls by 5am- you tip him 3.50 a day. and he/she does a lot more then brining you breakfast

Serene,

I understand your point, but there are those who order meals other than breakfast and order a lot at a time. If you ordered sandwiches, salads, desserts, iced tea for 2-4 people, do you think $1 is enough? I don't and I think that's what the poster was trying to say. Sorry you took offense.

Something I've always wondered about:

A lot of people reccommend tipping a small amount for a small order (a dollar for coffee and pastry) from room service, and a larger amount for a larger order (two dollars for a couple of sandwiches).

Doesn't it take just about the same time and effort for the delivery person to bring coffee and pastry as it does to bring a couple of sandwiches?

Why tip less for the smaller order?

I think I'll tip $2/$3 regardless of the size of the order.

Something I've always wondered about:

A lot of people reccommend tipping a small amount for a small order (a dollar for coffee and pastry) from room service, and a larger amount for a larger order (two dollars for a couple of sandwiches).

Doesn't it take just about the same time and effort for the delivery person to bring coffee and pastry as it does to bring a couple of sandwiches?

Why tip less for the smaller order?

I think I'll tip $2/$3 regardless of the size of the order.

My thinking is it is like an expensive restaurant it takes them just as long to bring out an expensive steak as it does something from a cheaper restaurant but you tip more at the expensive since the meal costs more. Even though the room service is at no cost you still loosely base it on what the tip would be as if you had to pay for it.

Serene,

I understand your point, but there are those who order meals other than breakfast and order a lot at a time. If you ordered sandwiches, salads, desserts, iced tea for 2-4 people, do you think $1 is enough? I don't and I think that's what the poster was trying to say. Sorry you took offense.

no offense taken at all. I only post that information really for new cruisers who think they are going to have to tip like 5 bucks for a meal delivery and it is not the case- Tipping is suggestive. You tip what you feel comfortable with.

The person who is delivering your tray--is only delivering it- they do not prepare it. but they do carry it. Sometimes you will notice the people who deliver are asst waiters in the dining room.

When you look at tipping a delivery person comparing to tipping the cabin steward or the dining room waiter --it kind of puts it in a perspective.

Archived