Fuel Supplement UK passengers refunds

uktog

I was picking up our tickets for our cruise at the end of the month from the ta who no longer is my premier choice. When I paid the final invoice the fuel supplement was still charged even though it is no longer in place. Now this has happened to me before, this agency saying their arrangement with RCL being that you get it back as on board credit and indeed on our August Azamara trip this was the case.

So when collecting my tickets I decided to ask for some paperwork in case I had problems on board. (At the time I paid I was told it would come back as OBC) Anyway the young lady at the TA first of all tried to tell me the supplement was only removed for new bookings so on challenging that myth she phoned X UK. I was fully expecting the confirmation that we had OBC but the girl on the other end of the line (it was speaker phone so I heard) was adamant no we will get a refund in sterling and they have a massive backlog on these refunds but it would be issued in the next two months :confused:

Can anyone tell me is this correct or is it a call centre tale.

I would hate to come home having not had the OBC to find it was supposed to be OBC and there is no sterling refund. I am also not exactly impressed if it is a refund at the fact X as holding onto my money for so long

I have tried calling X UK but they have said as my query relates to payment they cannot discuss it with me and have send me back to the last choice saloon

There is no fuel supplment on cruises at this time. I was of the understanding that they were all automatically removed but perhaps your booking fell through the net.

You should get your TA to contact the OSU dept at X UK and ask for them to remove the fuel.

If they do not do this then check you have the code QFUL on your invoice from X - this is the code that confirms you will get the fuel back as OBC in US$ onboard.

Not sure if this helps, but as RCI is the same company I would assume they do it the same. We have just done 3 cruises on RCI in the last 2 months. All, at time of booking, had a fuel supplement and we were notified 5 or 6 months before we went that all refunds would be in the form of OBC. Sure enough, on all 3 cruises the OBC appeared on our account within a day or so of the start of each cruise. The only issue we had was the exchange rate. At the time of booking, the exchange rate was up around $1.90, but at the time of sailing it looked like it would be around $1.60 (which it was). Before we went, we phoned RCI and were assured that the 'booking' rate would be used. Bet you can't guess the next bit? The ship used the current rate, and no amount of arguing on our part would change their mind, so we were out about $80 each in OBC. Now when we originally phoned about how the fuel supplement would be refunded, we were offered the option of a refund there and then, or the OBC at the booking rate. We thought the OBC would be better, but now know that if this happens again we will go for the instant refund.

Simon

Thanks yes we had a rate disadvantage applied on our Azamara fuel refund but did get it as OBC. Albert the position is that X told FC today they have a big backlog of invoices to reissue (must be really big our cruise is next week so you know how long ago our final payment was and the surcharge was removed when??!!) the only invoice we have which was reprinted again for me today shows the fuel surcharge on it. Its not about getting it removed from the invoice, its about getting the money back as I have been told categorically today (ie overheard the rep tell the TA) we would NOT be getting it as OBC. I fear I see £85 disappearing down a big black hole

... the only invoice we have which was reprinted again for me today shows the fuel surcharge on it. Its not about getting it removed from the invoice, its about getting the money back as I have been told categorically today (ie overheard the rep tell the TA) we would NOT be getting it as OBC. I fear I see £85 disappearing down a big black hole

The invoice just needs to have a separate line, saying QFUL and you are OK.

No QFUL = No OBC.

No QFUL :( - but then it is a reprint of the one dated over a year ago when we booked, no one seems able to generate a more up to date invoice. Thanks for the clue for what to look for - do you know is there any way you can have a new invoice prepared and sent direct to you if you are booked through a TA; even if they do reprint one, its not going to get to us before we leave next week

So I will just enjoy the cruise, drink my way through my fuel supplement and either pay for it with OBC or my credit card bill will have a contribution from a refund cheque that will be waiting for me when I get home - you will understand I am ever the optimist

No QFUL :( - but then it is a reprint of the one dated over a year ago when we booked, no one seems able to generate a more up to date invoice. Thanks for the clue for what to look for - do you know is there any way you can have a new invoice prepared and sent direct to you if you are booked through a TA; even if they do reprint one, its not going to get to us before we leave next week

It's very difficult. All TAs have access to something called CruiseMatch where they just enter your booking number and press the 'print invoice' button. I kid you not!

Thanks Albert

You will understand why they are my ex TA

They have not even noticed that no cruises have been booked through them for over a year (this was the last one that I booked in May 08) and you will see from my signature they had a LOT of business from me in the past

Archived