Russia cruise--AMA, Viking or Uniworld

grandpa cruiser

We are planning our 2011 cruise. Have all the brouchures but very hard to decide. Since the intinerary is very similar --any suggestions as to which cruise line may be best? We have heard that Russia is a very different market and that the best line on the European routes many not be necessarily the best there. We have cruised extensively and will be going on our first river cruise this summer.

Thanks for all your info and suggestions!!

Hi there -

I don't think that Uniworld is doing Russia anymore. I know that Viking and AMA waterways still travel there.

Another player (given that you are in Ontario) is Collette Travel. We are looking at them as the price is quite good. Don't know that the amenities would be as good as on the new AMA ship, but are choosing to consider this as "upscale camping" - as it is the experience is what we are going for.

I do have last year's brochure - but visiting collettevacations.ca would get you the information you are looking for. Now - their trip is a little shorter - don't know how long you are wanting to go for.

Where are you going this summer??

We did Uniworld on the Danube last year and loved it, but, alas, they are not doing Russia. We investigated both AMA and Viking, both with very good reputations and decided on the Viking Surkov for our trip this coming June.

There are lots of factors to consider, and I can't recall the final difference that convinced us, but we did do a spreadsheet of the pluses and minuses of both companies and read extensively on many of the Cruise Critic boards.

Hope this helps, even a little.

BTW, do investigate specifically what land excusions are included on each itinerary, how LONG they take you to each place and whether they are included or optionals. That might help in your decision making.

We are doing quite a few land excursions through PRIVATE tour operators in both Moscow and St. Petersburg. The more you read these boards, the more you will find that is what most people find the most enjoyable, most in depth experience and much less expensive that the ships' excursions.

Mickie

We went with Viking Surkov and would recommend the trip highly! Ship was very comfortable, guides were excellent and the excursions were all worth doing. Almost all the companies make the same stops between St. Petersburg and Moscow, so it is really which ship/company sounds best to you.

I did Amadeus and if I had to do it again, I would not choose them. When comparing notes with those who went with Viking and Grand Circle - I actually wish I had not chosen Amadeus.

There are several things that Amadeus did that seemed to waste a lot of time in port and some slight adjustments to the schedule which would have greatly enhanced the trip that they choose not to do.

I would look very carefully at the itinerary and pick a ship that spends the most time in St. Petersburg and Moscow as those are definitely the highlights. For example - on Amadeus website it listed Moscow to St. Petersburg itinerary and it appeared that they spent 3 days in Moscow. There was a notation that the itinerary operates in reverse for opposite sailings. Well - it turned out we arrived in Moscow at 1 pm one day and then had one more full day (so I thought we were getting 3 days and ended up with 1.5 days instead).

I had done a land trip to Russia in 1988 and did the river cruise a few years ago. I do have to say that I much preferred the land trip when only visiting Moscow and (then) Leningrad over the river cruise as the ports in-between were ok but not as enjoyable for me as the two main cities.

We are planning our 2011 cruise. Have all the brouchures but very hard to decide. Since the intinerary is very similar --any suggestions as to which cruise line may be best? We have heard that Russia is a very different market and that the best line on the European routes many not be necessarily the best there. We have cruised extensively and will be going on our first river cruise this summer.

Thanks for all your info and suggestions!!

Uniworld is not in Russia at this time because they were not satisfied with the quality of the ships they were leasing. They will rejoin the Russian market if they can make contracts with better ships.

Uniworld is not in Russia at this time because they were not satisfied with the quality of the ships they were leasing. They will rejoin the Russian market if they can make contracts with better ships.

That may be difficult. I think there is some weird law that the ships must be built in Russia and maybe stay in Russia. This prevents the new European cruises built and that sail in Europe to coming to Russia for the summer.

Avalon was going to have a ship a few years ago (Anastasia) and my guess is something was delayed (in the building or renovations - it was not really clear) and all the sailings were cancelled and the ship was never mentioned again. They marketed this as the best ship in Russia.

I think right now, Viking's renovated ships seem to be the best bet for Russia.

having done a bit more research, I've come across a company called "Orthodox Cruise Company" they seem to have an extensive line up of cruises. Anyone every heard of them??

again, many thanks for all your advice.

I haven't heard of them but I had to laugh at some of the pictures. It is amazing how so many of the Russian River boat ships look so alike! The sun deck and the cabins look almost identical to the Amadeus Tolstoy I was on.

In Russia, when the ships dock, you have to walk through a few ships often to get to your ship and from the outside, many of them look identical. It is like they were all built at the same time with the same layout, looks, etc... One time in Moscow, they moved our ship and we had one heck of a time finding it as there were probably 30-40 plus ships and they looked so similar.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

We went with Viking Surkov and would recommend the trip highly! Ship was very comfortable, guides were excellent and the excursions were all worth doing. Almost all the companies make the same stops between St. Petersburg and Moscow, so it is really which ship/company sounds best to you.

We are going on the Surkov in June with another couple and wish we could find others who are going too. The ship is sold out and there has not been any response on the roll call to my posting.

Mickie

Florida

Some of the Russian ships have "Russian Showers"--I've read that these are hand held spray nozzles attached to the sink and everything in the bathroom gets wet because you simple use them as a shower with no shower curtain or other protection to stop the water from spraying everywhere in the bathroom. Can someone confirm (or hopefully deny) this information.

Many thanks!

Some of the Russian ships have "Russian Showers"--I've read that these are hand held spray nozzles attached to the sink and everything in the bathroom gets wet because you simple use them as a shower with no shower curtain or other protection to stop the water from spraying everywhere in the bathroom. Can someone confirm (or hopefully deny) this information.

Many thanks!

I had also read that and that is one reason I didn't book with Viking (they had not refurbed their 2 ships yet and I don't know if that is still an issue). Amadeus had real showers that seemed quite large compared to what I expected.

Many thanks!

Viking Surkov showers are normal, enclosed showers. Very good, actually!

Archived