15 miles from Labadee !!!!

aprilfool

According to a post by John Weiss Associate Vice President of RCCl,Thousands of people are now pouring into Cap Haitian seeking medical care,shelter,food and water.Cape Haitian is 15 miles from Labadee.

A gymnasium has been turned into a makeshift hospital there and according to Mr Weiss Rccl has gone through Labadee giving up any extra lounge chairs,bedding and mattresses to be used in this make shift hospital.

He goes on to say,despite this the condition are relatively calm at this point and the local authorities and the UN have the situation under control.

I have been following all the threads on Labadee and most people seemed to feel that RCCl was right to continue going to Labadee since it was far from the trouble at Port Au Prince.

Now that thousands are arriving 15 miles from Labadee with no food water or shelter does this change anyones thinking?

I am on the 1/30 sailing of the NOS and have been having conflicting emotions about our stop there before this information and now I really don't know if it is safe.

April, I am sure that they are monitoring the situation minute by minute. They will not stop there if it is not safe. They are out to make money, not get their passengers hurt. Frankly, there is no point in panicking right now because the situation is going to change by the time you go on your cruise.

If you are that worried, then don't get off the ship, or cancel your cruise all together. We are not there, so we don't know what's happening. Getting nervous right now is not going to do you any good. They will make sure you are safe and if it's not safe, they won't stop there.

I feel empathy and sympathy for the people affected. I however, feel no "guilt". It's not my fault nor will my not going ashore make any difference to those that have been affected by the earthquake. Guilt makes it about you.

I can't understand why people think it would be improper to go to

Labadee, but would have no problem lounging on a beach on the next island.

Don't you see that depriving these people of employment is the last thing we should be doing right now?!

Go, enjoy, and tip generously.

My brother is a TA and spoke with Royal yesterday. They told him they were revising itineraries for the next couple weeks by changing labadee to a day at sea.

Interesting as on the website it says they are not changing anything and the same info from reps.

Now that thousands are arriving 15 miles from Labadee with no food water or shelter does this change anyones thinking?

Where do you get this? Mr. Weis did not say this. Cap Haitian is a working port city not damaged by the earthquake. Cargo and relief shipments continue to arrive there so food and water should not be a problem. They also have a small airport. Those refugees from the south who make it there will be far better off and they would have no reason cross another mountain to get to Labadee.

Yup, I don't know how accurate it is, or who he spoke with... but that's what he told me.

Well frankly I will believe my eyes on the website and the info on the cruisingpower site that says NO changes are being made.

I would not be surprised if they start using the docks at Labadee for supplies to get in. I'm sure that if asked, RCCL would gladly do it. Realize that is 100 miles...

I'm not sure of the logistics but it might make sense to get to the other villages or areas that more is needed. I'm sure that they have looked at it.

My brother is a TA and spoke with Royal yesterday. They told him they were revising itineraries for the next couple weeks by changing labadee to a day at sea.

Tell you what..if they put me out at sea for an extra day they will be refunding a large amount of money. I would have a hard time believing they could not find another port to call on! They could tender in if they could not dock.

Tell you what..if they put me out at sea for an extra day they will be refunding a large amount of money. I would have a hard time believing they could not find another port to call on! They could tender in if they could not dock.

They don't refund money normally, and I think its only $10 port fees. As long as it was going to Haiti they can have the money.

Its just not that easy to find another port that has the spots. There are a lot of ships right now in the Carb..right now. Also, if you read the contract that you agree to they can change the itinary anytime due to ....well anything.

They don't refund money normally, and I think its only $10 port fees. As long as it was going to Haiti they can have the money.

Its just not that easy to find another port that has the spots. There are a lot of ships right now in the Carb..right now. Also, if you read the contract that you agree to they can change the itinary anytime due to ....well anything.

They could find a spot! The Caribbean is a very large place..they would find a spot!

Ever taken a look at how often the ships miss Grand Cayman due to waves? And guess what its a SEA DAY!

I've taken about 15 cruises and missed maybe 3 stops and guess what its a SEA DAY! I really like SEA DAYS so it was OK for me.

Ever taken a look at how often the ships miss Grand Cayman due to waves? And guess what its a SEA DAY!

I taken about 15 cruises and missed may 3 stops and guess what its a SEA DAY! I really like SEA DAYS so it was OK for me.

Same with us - we missed Grand Cayman several years ago and enjoyed a day at sea. No refunds except port fees. I think we got a bottle of wine with dinner or some similar compensation. I also like sea days because they're relaxing - no pressure to get up and get ashore.

They could find a spot! The Caribbean is a very large place..they would find a spot!

It's not that easy. You just don't call ahead to Grand Cayman and say, "find us a spot. We'll be there at 7 a.m."

There are all kinds of liability, harbor master, security, the port's pilot, port agent, excursions to arrange, fuel allocation, weather and tides, time to next port, approval from Miami of all the above, and more.

Rick

My point was that if Labadee were to become unstable then RCL would have to find another port. Weather / "waves" are a little different than anticipating a problem on an island that just had a Major Natural Disaster where THOUSANDS of people have just perished! They have a responsibility to anticipate and develop a game plan if issues were to arise on Hatti. Just to say “oh well it will have to be another day at sea”, is NOT an acceptable response to this situation! And I’m sure anyone else that is on my cruise would think the same way!

My point was that if Labadee were to become unstable then RCL would have to find another port. Weather / "waves" are a little different than anticipating a problem on an island that just had a Major Natural Disaster where THOUSANDS of people have just perished! They have a responsibility to anticipate and develop a game plan if issues were to arise on Hatti. Just to say “oh well it will have to be another day at sea”, is NOT an acceptable response to this situation! And I’m sure anyone else that is on my cruise would think the same way!

That is not how it works. If something happened that made it likely that Labadee could not be used for an extended period of time, Royal would likely revise itineraries. If it is something impacting a small number of sailings, in all likelihood it would mean an extra sea day (and no substituted ports). This is the industry standard. There would not be compensation (aside from possibly $10 in port fees or a token gesture such as $50 OBC or a free cocktail hour). Probably 98% or so on your cruise would understand this and find it acceptable.

That is not how it works. If something happened that made it likely that Labadee could not be used for an extended period of time, Royal would likely revise itineraries. If it is something impacting a small number of sailings, in all likelihood it would mean an extra sea day (and no substituted ports). This is the industry standard. There would not be compensation (aside from possibly $10 in port fees or a token gesture such as $50 OBC or a free cocktail hour). Probably 98% or so on your cruise would understand this and find it acceptable.

Would you not think this would be an example of something that would end up being "extended period of time". If this wouldn't be then what would be? This is an unusual and catastrophic event.

No. Not many people will go ballsitic about skipping a port. It happens quite often, especially in the Caribbean during hurricane season. But who knows if the line will opt to forgo Lab for a sea day or exchange it. Unfortunately, that cruise contract is filled with many disclaimers. I remember when we didn't get into Grand Cayman because of that harbour and a couple on board couldn't get married. They had pre-arranged something at a hotel on Seven Mile Beach and couldn't do it. I felt so sorry for them.

Archived