Do-It-Yourself Ponta Delgada

Trubey--what's the biggest ship you've seen there?

Mary

The biggest ships are normally Grand Princess and Star Princess.

But the port cand deal with bigger ones !!!

In April 18th we had RCI Legend of the Seas and HAL Rotterdam together.

+ 3800 passangers

• 3 months later...

trubey....We will be on the Century arriving in Ponta Delgada on Saturday 10/22/05...what are your feelings on renting a car......what side of the road do you drive on......do you know if car rentals can be delivered to pier...any recommendations....Thanks

My first thought is that you really do not want to rent a car. That being said, the car rental company that I prefer is:

http://www.tourilhas.com/rates.htm

I just checked quickly and they can arrange to have your car at the dock. There are a number of car rental companies, but we have had problems with the way they do business.

On the plus side of renting, according to the Cruise Ship Calendar, you will be here for one full day. That would make a rental car option quite an inexpensive way to see the island. However, there are drawbacks. The first being that although we drive on the right, driving is not simple here. There are many curves and hills, all along two lane roads. It is not unusual to come around a curve and find a truck or a car blocking your lane. You learn just to go around it. Cows are frequently moved from one field to another and getting passed them can be difficult. Tractors move along at about 20k per hour and always need to be passed. The biggest minus is that the driver never really gets to enjoy the scenery. When we moved here we made a rule for ourselves, that unlike in America, we would never eat a hamburger, sip on a soda, or check the backseat of the car. Too much happens too quickly.

So, there are minuses. But on the plus side, you would see many things that tour bus people would miss. But you do have to like driving. And although the island is probably only about 80k in length, going from one end to the other, takes about 3 hours.

Oh, and don't forget to ask about an automatic shift if that is necessary for you.

susana.

• 8 months later...

We will be there on the ship Splendour of the Seas this month. Was wondering if we should get Euros before we arrive or if the taxi will take USD?? Trying to decide how much we will need in money if we do need to exchange it or if we wont need to at all.

thanks for any info on this

There are many ATMs in Central Ponta Delgada, however, there are not any on the port. Assuming that you will want to spend some time walking around the city after your taxi tour, just ask the driver to let you off where there is a machine.

I would never assume that a taxi driver outside the United States has any need or use for American dollars. I may be wrong on that, just IMHO. susana.

I jsut know that in some places we have been they didnt care if it was USD or thiers, some would exchange it over for a better rate (for thier money) and have us pay in USD. That way they made a profit on what we paid as I understood. Not a worry other then if we need money in advance or not. We dont have an ATM card, never had any use of one or want of one, so we will pick up money before we leave on the trip.

Thanks for the info

Hello Susan, just got your bumping posting. We regret missing you when we were there on the Prinsendam in May 2004 (I think the date is correct). I think that Lane had to go to France for medical reasons. I hope that this finds you two in good health. My wife Pat is just passing her 6th year of remission from Ovarian Cancer. I hope that the reading material that we collected was useful. We have sold our home last October and moved to Hunt Valley just north of Baltimore. We are hoping to take another transatlantic visit, maybe in 2007. Anyhow, we hope to hear from you someday.

Regards, ruffinready@comcast.net

Hello Susan . . .

Regards . . .

How nice to hear from you and that you both are remaining in good health. Serious illness does teach us to enjoy our days, doesn't it? Lane is doing much better after some surgery in the US. I hope after he stabilizes again, we can go back to using our doctor in Paris. It gives me a chuckle to have to say: No, sorry, I can't do that. We will be in Paris that week at the doctor's.

But I was sorry to have missed you. And I did enjoy getting my English-language magazines from you. We read the Smithsonians several times and the other woman who came—she was Mary for Texas (but I don't remember the exact screen name) left some paperback mysteries.

The transatlantic crossings are really great, aren't they? And you get to stop in Ponta Delgada! This year the only HAL ship we get is the Nordham (and we'll be having an informal cc get together downtown), but we love watching the ships come in and asking the tourists about their cruises. This year we seem to have many P & O cruises as they do the Azores as part of an Atlantic island cruise.

Hope to see you in 2007!!! susana.

trubey, thanks so much for the very informative thread! I'm usually content to just wander when I visit a big city, particularly one I will probably visit many times. However I don't anticipate passing through the Azores very often, so I wanted to be armed with SOME information before arriving. We are passing through on the 13th of May (are things generally open on Saturday?) on RCCL Voyager of the Seas (I'm told it's her first transatlantic voyage since she was originally delivered). I was toying with the 'crater lakes' tour, but will heed your advice to wait until we check the weather. Thankfully, we are in port "all day" (until 5pm), so at least we don't have to dash to return to the ship at 1pm. It also appears that we are alone in port, or alone as we can be on a megaship like Voyager!

Looking forward to seeing your island home!

. . . However I don't anticipate passing through the Azores very often . . .!

Hello, IMNiles

I didn't expect to make my this island my home until I came here, so one never knows!

As for a Saturday arrival, I'm glad you asked this specifically. All downtown, except the most touristy of shops, is just plain closed and empty on Saturday afternoons. If you can arrange to walk around the city in the morning and take a tour in the afternoon, you will be much happier.

As for being the only ship in port, yes, you will be the only cruise ship. We rarely have more than one ship in port on a day. In fact, the cruise ship trade is really just starting here. So there are not many ships at all. Except for P&O, most of our visitors are doing a transatlantic.

Glad I could help. It's fun to be the self-titled "CC Official Ambassador" of the Azores. susana.

Dear Susana & Lane,

Your posts are wonderful & we all appreciate the time & effort that you have give to us travelers. I was on the Noordam 10 days ago & was trying to get on the Transatlantic crossing. Just got confirmed. Are there any other companies besides the ship shore excursions that go to the Lakes? We are arriving on a Sunday so I'm assuming that the shops will be closed. Look forward to meeting you at the CC get together in town if time permits. Thanks again for your thoughtful help in visiting your island.

Regards,

Cory Lynn

I second that, your posts and information are terrific. Thank the cruise Gods for people like you on this site.

We will be in port on Sat. May 6, from 10-6 on the Norwegian Jewel, and you're right, on a Transatlantic. Can you offer some suggestions? I did just notice in your other reply that you said that it would be better to shop or visit the town in the morning? We are a party of 4, possibly 6.

We would love to see whatever we can within reason, this will be our first port after 5 days at sea.

Thanks in advance! Linda

. . . in your other reply that you said that it would be better to shop or visit the town in the morning? We are a party of 4, possibly 6 . . . Linda

Saturday morning is a lively shopping time in the city. However, at about 12 or 12:30, most shops will close for the rest of the day. There will be very little to see or do. So, I am suggesting for those who have a bit of leeway in their schedule, that it would be better to visit Ponta Delgada in the morning and go off into the country for the afternoon.

Of course, after saying this, I would like to warn you that if there is gorgeous morning weather and then rain all afternoon: I am not responsible!!

When we come in on our cruise 4May if we have some books (see what will fit in bags) where can we leave them?? I read lots and after always try to find someone who wnats them. Have to see what will fit inthe bags before we pack those but I am sure there will be a few.

When we come in on our cruise 4May if we have some books (see what will fit in bags) where can we leave them?? I read lots and after always try to find someone who wnats them. Have to see what will fit inthe bags before we pack those but I am sure there will be a few.

Thanks for the very sweet offer. But I am lucky this year that we have a number of books on the shelf ready to be read. We were in the United States in the fall and able to bring some back. My husband is currently there now (for doctor's appointments) and will be bring more. And my daughter will be visiting in June and bringing more.

So as much as I really do appreciate your kind offer, I really can't ask you to lug books in your suitcase.

But it does make me feel good to know that there are people out there who feel the same way I do about books. There are only two reasons I regret having moved—one is missing my grandchildren growing up and the second is the public library. susana.

trubey - A quick google says that I should expect temps in the upper 50s or mid 60s in Ponta Delgada in May. Do you concur?

Thanks! Only 11 days until we set sail, and about 17 or so until we reach Ponta Delgada! (no offense, but I'm kind of hoping he first 11 will pass quickly, and the next 6 much more slowly ;) )

It's really hard to determine the temperature. Actually our winters stay in the 50s and the summers in the 70s. Spring could be anything from a cold, damp 59 to a beautiful and sunny 72. I guess that's the way it is most everywhere in the world.

Start with slacks and a short sleeve t-shirt. Then add some sort of light overshirt and have a rainjacket to leave in the bus. If you don't need the jacket, you're in luck and if you do, you are in luck.

Last year in the Canaries, I had not brought a rainjacket and when it was time to ride the camels, I about cried. Luckily for me, my seatmate decided to sit that one out and gave me his coat and his hat to go with it.

susana.

We will also be on the Voyager on May 13. Since the ship doesn't arrive until 11:00 AM would it be possible to hire a taxi for three hours and make to to see Sete Cidades. How long of a drive is it, does anyone know. Thanks for all the great information. Janice

The ride would be 30 to 45 minutes away. There shouldn't be any problem with doing this by taxi.

Getting there is half the fun. Usually the drivers appear to enjoy these excursions. It's a beautiful ride and I do it frequently just because I love it. There are gardens to walk around in and just a pleasant ambience.

However, one word of caution. It is rarely sunny in Setes Cidades. Not being a professional weatherperson, I can only guess that this is because the volcanic circle traps the clouds. susana.

I was walking around downtown Ponta Delgada this morning and came across a few things I wanted to post. I'm being lazy here by not doing my own research, but I think in one of my earlier posts (written over a year ago) I might have mentioned that my favorite cafe for sidewalk sitting and people watching is the Cafe Central. Today, I realized that it closed.

Another item to mention is that I noticed a new cybercafe. Their sign said that they burn cd's etc. which might be useful to travelers. Directions: From the square which has the city gates, cross the street to the north, take the first left (a pedestrian walkway) and it will be on the next corner of the next block.

There was one more item I was going to mention, but I forgot it now. Maybe it will come to me later.

I did get a bit angry with some cruisers today, however. Although I didn't say anything, I thought I'd scream. I chose a restaurant because it had some outside tables and as I was alone, I thought it would be pleasant. I went in to get my food and on my way out, I realized that the place had gotten jam-packed—all with cruisers. And as I was going out, they were coming in and had made sure to have one person of each group save a table. So, I was stuck inside. Grumble, grumble, gripe, gripe. susana.

(Actually gloating because they have to return to their everyday hum-drum lives and I will still be here to try it again.

Archived