Do-It-Yourself Ponta Delgada

We did the long walk and roll, wheelchair, into town back in 2005 with friends and will be returning this April 25th. Yup, soon! Yea, to the new port. I love the ancient mosaic style sidewalks but the bum gets sore after too many bumpety bumps. Any known wheelchair accessible taxis, the little buses, etc? If not, we may try an early lunch. Thanks so much for the food and cafe tips. And I'll pick up that picture frame carved from black lava at the shopping center this trip.

Oh, on our last visit a cruising friend of ours, may she RIP, took the ships tour to the two lakes. Seems just as they rounded the bend to see them the guide explained that due to fertilizers both lakes were now green. It had been a very bumpy long, she mentioned cows, ride and she was livid. We all laugh as we relive our cruises with her as she was always so mellow on cruises until that day. Might want to warn people if that is the one thing they want to see.

I have seen several mentions of a holiday on April 25th at various sites and, if so, will it close down the town? It's only a week after Easter this year so it's not the larger festival you already mentioned.

My daughter and I arrive in April 28th, via the Voyager of the Seas from 12 noon to 7 p.m. We originally booked a ship tour, Furnas Lake Walk Tour, but they have now canceled it.

Should we try for a taxi or is there another tour available?

• 4 weeks later...

If you're wondering what there is to do in Ponta Delgada while you are in our port please visit www.expatislandguide.com - this new site is full of information completely in English. I created this site because I know first hand how little there is online about Ponta Delgada and the island od Sao Miguel. Many sites are in Portuguese and what does exist is scattered and difficult to find. My goal with eXpat is to offer a one-stop site that covers everything you need to know. The site is still a work in progress and a new section focused on Ponta Delgada with a subsection created especially for those coming on cruise ships - including a downloadable walking tour of the city - will be added in the next few days. Restaurant guides, shopping guides and other sections are complete, including a download page where you can print the Restuarant Guide, maps, bus schedules and more. I also offer personal guide services for the city and other arrangements. Check out the site and feel free to contact me and tell me what you think.

Susan, thank you so much for putting me in touch with Lisa Ringelberg! We were on the Independence Transatlantic and landed in Sao Miguel on April 19th. Lisa arranged for 2 vans for 16 members of our group. She and Pedro were wonderful tour guides. Best of all, Lisa worked with me to come up with the best tour to meet our interests.

What a great value! I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your assistance in connecting me with Lisa! ~ Lorna

• 4 months later...

I already posted under the wrong thread.

We are going to be there on a repositioning cruise on Sunday October 18th.

We have 9 hours in port and we are trying to figure out best things to do.

From reading here in seems as if hiring a taxi is the best way to go but we are concerned that we are on a giant ship and we would hate to miss out if they all went (I don't know how many other ships are in port that day).

What would be the best route for spectacular views (assuming it is not raining)?

Any recommendations re companies to book with in advance - assuming that it might be best to do that if several ships are in port (does anyone know the link to follow to check ships in port?)

Thanks

CruiseReport.com says Ruby Princess will be the only ship in port that day. Is that the ship you will be on?

http://www.cruisereport.com/Default.aspx for ship in a port

We were in Ponta Delgada last April on the NCL Gem. We were the only ship in port. She holds 2376 passengers. The Ruby holds, I think, 3080.

We took our time getting off the ship. Well, we were slower than that, even.

We had no trouble getting two cabs for our large group. I would not book in advance. Make sure your driver can converse in English (or your language.) See older posts in this thread for what to see.

Rich

• 2 months later...

I am so happy to have found this blog. I am new to cruising and was hoping to get recommendations of ships that port in Ponta Delgada.

I heard that you can arrive at port and stay there for a week picking up the next portion of the cruise (on the same ship) on it's next trip to port

Has anyone done this?

I heard that you can arrive at port and stay there for a week picking up the next portion of the cruise (on the same ship) on it's next trip to port

Has anyone done this?

Never heard of this. I don't see how it could be done. Most, if not all, of the ships that stop there, do so as part of a trans-Atlantic cruise. They don't return for another 6 months, if then.

Rich

Are all cruises to Ponta Delgada transatlatic? I was unaware of that but I am new to cruising and am learning as I go. Thanks for the information.:D

"All" can't say that for sure. 'Most' Yes, I checked Jan, Feb, Mar & Apr 2010 and the ones I could find were.

You can go to http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php and search ships in port for most any given month and see what you can find.

Rich

• 3 months later...

My Mother & Stepfather will be there on the Voyager TA on April 27 from 12 noon to 7 p.m.

I have copied all of your suggestions from the beginning and was just checking if you had any updates to your original info.

Thanks,

Susan from Texas:D

• 2 months later...

I feel a wee bit guilty. As my own cruising days are over, I have not checked this site to see what has been happening on this thread. If anyone would like answers, you can email me. Just take out the stars.

s*_*trubey*@*yahoo*.*com

susan.

www.azoreantours.com is the home site of Gary Travassos who operates a taxi tour business in the Azores. We toured with Gary and a had a GREAT time. He is knowledgeable and takes pride in his island and will share it with you. The tour is whatever you decide when you get in the car and he will not talk your head off. He has his favorite spots that NO ONE will take you too!!!!Enjoy

• 7 months later...

Wanted to bring this thread back as there is some good info here even though it is not new.

Trying to decide between a couple tours or just renting a car (even though I know it has not recommended here ;)).

If we did rent a car there is Sete Cidades to the west and Furnas to the east. Is it better to do one first and then the other for any reason?

Any other towns worth a visit besides Ponta Delgada?

We'll be on the Ruby Princess from 9-6 this October.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You can spend a nice and free time in Ponta Delgada, you don't need to spend all your time and money runing. Do it your self is the best way to stay, if you decide your own tour, you just have to negotiate the price with any taxi before you go. If you decide walk here you can find all explanations for a nice and free walk. No crime problems in Ponta Delgada :) Things to do in Ponta Delgada

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread, and glad it's stayed alive. Trubey, I know you don't read this any more, but thanks so much for all the information. Sorry your cruising days are over.

We'll be there for the day in November 2013. I'm hoping that I can find some people who have relatives in Toronto. There's a huge connection between San Miguel and Toronto--we lived in Portuguese neighbourhoods for over 20 years, and got used to some of the festivals--I remember the one with the coloured sawdust on the streets, but can't remember when it is (June I'm thinking.)

Love Portugal, looking forward to seeing what I hear is a fabulous island!

Festivals--I remember the one with the coloured sawdust on the streets, but can't remember when it is (June I'm thinking.)

Love Portugal, looking forward to seeing what I hear is a fabulous island!

My thanks to Trubey as well. I have referred to his information many times as the TA's we've taken have all stopped in the Azores. We were just there last month and will return in April.

Wendy, the Festival you mentioned is the Festival of Our Lord Saint Christ of the Miracles (Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres) and it's the fifth Sunday after Easter. We happened to be there on our first visit by pure luck. It is amazing! Hope your cruising schedule coincides with the liturgical calendar.

An entry from my daily journal: a leasurely day

November 9, 2012 The clocks moved back again and we gained another hour sleep. We got up at 9:00 am to have breakfast and the ship was already docked. Ponte Delgada is a town on the island of Sao Pedro in the Azores belonging to Portugal. The Azores are to Europe what Hawaii is to North America. The ship was docked near the town centre at a new cruise terminal so we decided to take a short hike to Forte de Sao Bras as it was a turn of the century fort that also housed the Military Museum of the Azores. We spent over a couple of hours visiting the fort and museum before taking a trek to the “larger mall”. While the mall may be small DW did manage to find 2 pairs of knee high boots and a pair of ankle boots. At 2:00 we decided to head back to the ship by taking the narrow side streets and exploring the town. We stumbled onto the “smaller mall” and it had free internet so we stopped. As it was only 3:00 pm with “all aboard” being at 5:30 pm, we returned to the ship for a late lunch before heading back ashore to use the internet. The internet was free at the local Burger King so I took the opportunity to update and post my journal. The espresso that BK severed was quite good. DW checked out the boardwalk area and brought me back a Portuguese egg custard tart to see if I liked them. They were as good as the ones in Lisbon so she bought some more to take aboard. We boarded at 5:00 and prepared to be on deck for the sail-away. The sail-away into the sunset was a spectacular end to a wonderful day in port.

• 4 months later...

We will be in Ponta DElgada on May 8th.

Looking to rent a car.

Where is the closest rental car company to the cruise ship?

Looking to go to Sete Cidades, any tipps?

As we are from Germany and DH drives also in England, we are not afraid to try the roads...

Archived