Do-It-Yourself Ponta Delgada

Yes, I am here. I have a subscription to this thread so I know if anyone has posted. Since there are not single sections on many of the ports, like Ponta Delgada, I try to keep this thread active by posting during cruising season.

I am glad the information was helpful to you. The cruise ships don't provide port information until it is too late to make your choices. Also, I think that planning and preparing for trips is half the fun.

You have many days to dream about your next cruise. Please ask if you have any more questions or concerns.

After responding to the post above, I thought I would mention two more things.

Ponta Delgada is in the process of building a new pier for cruise ships. This means that you will be entering the city center from the eastern point of the city, rather than the western. I really do not know when the new pier will be ready, but I will try to post again when it is. The good news is that it should be a much shorter walk into town than what currently exists.

Now, unless you are fairly active and physically fit for several hours of walking during the day, I have to recommend taking a taxi or bus into town and that is expensive. I think the bus provided by the travel agencies was something like 9 euros each way!! That is enough to make a ship sponsored tour seem worthwhile and really prohibits you from running back to the ship for lunch or a change of clothes, or whatever.

Hello Trubey,

What a nice surprise to hear back from you so soon and with updated information. I'll likely be able to check this website for the last time before my journey begins on the morning of Feb. 27th.

On our day there, March 7th, I figure that, conservatively, we'll be off the ship by 9:30 and must be back on by 2:15 for a 3:00 departure.

We'll be a group of 3 to 5, so my hope is that we can follow your suggested route for a taxi ride on the western end of the island, or if weather isn't good then we'll try to go to Furnas.

Are you still willing to get a phone call for an up-to-the minute weather report? I'm assuming that we won't be able to ascertain the weather at the twin lakes from our point of view from the ship or the city?

I likely overlooked this bit of information previously, so could you tell me what we might expect to pay to travel to Furnas and how long the round trip might take? Am I understanding correctly that it's feasible to do one trip or the other but not both in the allotted time?

Also, if you're back in the market for books or magazines, just let me know where to drop them off and I'll be happy to bring some.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Regarding Sundays:

The problem with Sundays is that things are just much too quiet. There will be some cafes and shopping open along the waterfront, but the town itself is virtually dead. What makes the city of Ponta Delgada a good port destination is its lively, bustling downtown: people are crossing the street willy-nilly, shopping bags stuffed with goodies, the old and the young together.

As a whole, although it is an attractive city, and has it's own style of architecture which I find pleasing, it is not a city where you want to make sure you visit all the sites. (e.g. if you were going to Paris, I would say, don't forget to visit the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower). So, just getting the feeling of the town is what you would want to absorb.

So, if you want to have a simple day, enjoy an ice cream or coffee along the pier, it will be fine. Or, perhaps it would be better to spend the day on a tour of the island--which I do think is spectacular.

City Update: For those cruising this season, I thought I would update you things which might be useful. Along the waterfront, a new pier for cruise ships and inter-island ferries is being built. When it is completed, cruisers will have wonderful access to the center of the city. However, it is now quite ugly as it is under construction. Also, I can't remember if I posted it before (and I don't really feel like rereading my own writing) but I saw last year that the tourist agencies were charging 9 euros, each way, for the bus from the pier to the center of town. I truly think that is exorbitant and outrageous. One of the things I always enjoyed in cruising was the choice and flexibility of running back to the ship during a long port day. My advise is that if you have trouble or difficulty in walking, take the bus. But if you are someone who likes to stroll for hours, you will be fine. Another thing--much of the pavement in the city is made of small, cut stones--both the streets and the sidewalks. If you are in a wheelchair or some other assisted devise, getting around will be difficult, as the ground will not be even and ramps non-existent. Additionally, if you have mobility issues and need to use a restroom, I can recommend the one that is in the lobby of the mall, across from the waterfront. I honestly can't think of any others.

Yes, I know Lisa and her family, personally. Our community of English-speaking ex-pats is a friendly group and we all meet each other eventually.

As a Canadian who has lived here for many years, she really is a great choice for you either as an excursion planner or tour guide. She loves the island, as I do, and will undoubtedly be able to share that excitement and knowledge.

I know that she works through AVA tours, but you can also email her at

lisaring7@hotmail.com

Susana

Thanks Susana

I didn't realize you were from Canada

We have booked with Lisa but she will not be doing our tour. A driver from AVA will be doing the tour. Do I understand you feel she will have us booked with a great tour guide and we will have a wonderful tour?

I'm so glad you know of her.

No, I am not Canadian. But have always considered it a compliment when people make that assumption. I lived in the Detroit area for many years, so Ontario was only 20 minutes away.

Since I wrote my last post, by chance I bumped into Lisa at the grocery store. She clarified for me that she does not actually lead the tours, as a guide, but arranges for a made-to-order tour for the guests involved.

Official tour guides are now required to have a fairly long-term educational program, which unfortunately cuts out many of those who would be great at it--including me.

Have a good trip.

Susana.

Thank you so much for your posts. You are doing quite a community service for those of us dropped on your beautiful island for a few short hours.

Can you give me details about Festa do Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres? When is it held this year?

Thanks again.

The main day of the festival is on the 5th Sunday after Easter. There will be crowds, parades, and many events going on during the few days before and after. I just checked, but I can't find the schedule.

I have attended some of the events, but, I must admit that I never really felt as if I understood the whole program. I liken it to a foreigner trying to understand the signifigance of American Thanksgiving rituals.

I am attaching links to you tube videos, below. The first one is about the festival. The other two are jut some nice shots of São Miguel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsDHAeBPCOo

susana

Thanks , Susana, so much for the great response.

We are scheduled to be in Sao Miguel on Sunday, April 27. We may be in luck to be able to wander about as clueless Americans in the crowd.

You are right about Thanksgiving. Our younger daughter studied in Valencia last fall and amused us with stories of the University trying to sponsor a Thanksgiving dinner for the homesick American kids.

Susana, thanks for the update regarding Lisa....I was aware that she is only arranging the tour for us. I had to advise her tonight that we would not be going with the booking with the company she was arranging due to the fact that they wouldn't do the tour privately for us. They said if others wanted a similar tour they would have to take them with us. That didn't suit our liking as we want to move rather quickly throughout the day and this would prove difficult with other along.

I also did think you were American however something you posted made me think otherwise. We are neighbours for sure with Detroit ;)

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated!

Trubey:

We will be there on the Jewell on April 27. I had planned on trying to grab a tour or cab when we get off the ship to see some of the island. I'm wondering if the festival might be more fun to take in the local culture. Any thoughts?

Cruising Family:

It sounds as if you would be better off with a taxi if want to go solo.

Danfiveoh:

See my note a few posts above, about the festival.

Also, I would not assume that you can simply find a tour when you get off the ship. You should book in advance, either privately or with the ship.

susana.

• 3 months later...

In some posts, quite a while back, I mentioned that I did not know anything about Amazing Tours. It was with surprise that, last night, I was sitting around with a group of international ex-pat friends and someone mentioned Ricardo and his Amazing Tours taxi. Everyone raved about him, so I wanted to share this with my Cruise Critics friends.

susana.

BTW, I want to post some time that the harbor and pier for cruise ships in Ponta Delgada has recently been updated. I promise to write about it soon.

• 1 month later...

Our new pier is operational and should make your arrival into the city much easier as it is just a short walk to the city center. I just came across a webisite that the city made. It might be difficult for you to make out, but you can see the new dock coming out from the main city avenue rather than a long, long, "L".

http://www.pontadelgadavirtualtour.net/

Regarding Sundays:

The problem with Sundays is that things are just much too quiet. There will be some cafes and shopping open along the waterfront, but the town itself is virtually dead. What makes the city of Ponta Delgada a good port destination is its lively, bustling downtown: people are crossing the street willy-nilly, shopping bags stuffed with goodies, the old and the young together.

As a whole, although it is an attractive city, and has it's own style of architecture which I find pleasing, it is not a city where you want to make sure you visit all the sites. (e.g. if you were going to Paris, I would say, don't forget to visit the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower). So, just getting the feeling of the town is what you would want to absorb.

So, if you want to have a simple day, enjoy an ice cream or coffee along the pier, it will be fine. Or, perhaps it would be better to spend the day on a tour of the island--which I do think is spectacular.

First, let me thank you for all the info - I have just started to research our ports for our April 2009 cruise, so I'm finding it very useful!

Regarding Sundays.... When you say a tour of the island are you referring to the cruise tours, or talking with a separate taxi? Exploring the island and all of its beauty sounds perfect!

What I mean by do something on Sunday is just that. I have spent 4 weeks on cruises which involve European ports. Some of those days, I have chosen to go for some sort of tour of the surrounding area and some of those days, we simply walked around city near where we were docked. We would try to maintain a balance while taking into account our finances, interests, and just that a tour (whether by taxi or bus or whatever) each and every day somehow seemed an overload. I guess, I just assumed that other people do the same (and maybe that is a bad assumption).

My comment about Sundays was simply that if you were trying to decide which days to do what, a Sunday in Ponta Delgada is not the best walking around the city day.

susana.

What I mean by do something on Sunday is just that. I have spent 4 weeks on cruises which involve European ports. Some of those days, I have chosen to go for some sort of tour of the surrounding area and some of those days, we simply walked around city near where we were docked. We would try to maintain a balance while taking into account our finances, interests, and just that a tour (whether by taxi or bus or whatever) each and every day somehow seemed an overload. I guess, I just assumed that other people do the same (and maybe that is a bad assumption).

My comment about Sundays was simply that if you were trying to decide which days to do what, a Sunday in Ponta Delgada is not the best walking around the city day.

susana.

Thank you. The assumption is not bad as thats what we do as well. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be hard to find a taxi who could possibly drive us around the island (I've found those to be great in other cities) so we could see its beauty. Since I know there are I can move onto actually researching the city. This is my parents' first and most likely only time they will be in Portugal so I plan on knowing as much as I can before we get there. :)

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm doing some research for the carnival cruise I will be taking, that will have a 7 to 3pm stop at Ponta Delgada. It will be on a saturday, may 2.

At first I was thinking I would just walk off the ship into town and explore, which I still hope to do a bit of, but it sounds like I would be missing a lot if I didn't see furnas valley or cidedad.

As always, I'm on a budget, it looks like the shore excursion for furnas valley would be between $50 and $75 per person, but it must be extensive because it is a 5 hour tour. I'm leaning away from cidedad because if I book through the cruiseline I don't think I can wait to check on the visibility for that day. Unless I link up with some other shipmates onboard, it will only be my son and I - does going with the ship shore excursion sound worthwhile, or would a taxi be comparable? The huge tour bus experience is not my favorite, but if the taxi is more expensive then it may be our only option.

Archived