Halloween Cruise - will there be enough kids for my kids to play with?

smuggs

We're looking to go on a Western Carribean cruise during Halloween (Oct 30/31 - Nov 6/7.) The last 3 weekdays is when the New Jersey Teachers convention is held, so the kids are off of school. My kids will be 9,7, & 3 at this time. Before booking this, I would like to have some sense as to what I should be able to expect based on other cruisers previous experiences.

Cruise ships do a great job of decorating and having Halloween parties for young and young at heart including Best Costume contests. We were just on a 10 night cruise at Halloween and there were plenty of children all dressed up in the Parade.

There are ALWAYS plenty of kids on cruises. I guess some kids are homeschooled or have vacations throughout the year. Our kids get a week off every 9 weeks here.

I cruised one Halloween and the kids program staff dressed up and took the kids trick or treating all over the ship. Looked like thay were having a blast. Also they had a costume party for the kids and many adults were dressed up in the clubs that evening.

DYM - what's is making you think about the Valor over some of the other ships sailing during that time?

A few things, we have not been to any of the islands on this itinerary yet and we have visited a good portion of Eastern and Southern Caribbean before. We also have some family that currently live in South Florida who may be joining us, so this will be convenient for all. The early saver pricing looks really good and I have been reading some positive reviews here on the boards about the ship.

The one main thing we are waiting on is to see what we can do about flights, as with convention week typically comes higher fares.

What parts of Jersey are you from?

There are ALWAYS plenty of kids on cruises. I guess some kids are homeschooled or have vacations throughout the year. Our kids get a week off every 9 weeks here.

I cruised one Halloween and the kids program staff dressed up and took the kids trick or treating all over the ship. Looked like thay were having a blast. Also they had a costume party for the kids and many adults were dressed up in the clubs that evening.

That's good to hear, the kids surely don't want to miss trick or treating! :)

DYM - we're in South Jersey not too far from the Commodore Barry Bridge. You? As for airfares, if I need to fly from BWI, I will...otherwise, we'll probably fly from Philly since we're so close to PHL.

We're currently thinking of going on the Dream for the Oct 30 sailing. Since we have 3 kids, we have an option of booking one cabin that sleeps 5 rather than booking 2 separate cabins and trying to get connecting ones.

We were on a cruise this past Halloween and had a blast. We brought my little girls Halloween costume. She got to trick or trick. We decorated the outside of our cabin door and the inside. I have never in my life seen such great adult Halloween costumes. There was even a haunted house set up in one of the lounges. It really scared my daughter (she's 8) Again we had a great time:D

DYM - we're in South Jersey not too far from the Commodore Barry Bridge. You? As for airfares, if I need to fly from BWI, I will...otherwise, we'll probably fly from Philly since we're so close to PHL.

We're currently thinking of going on the Dream for the Oct 30 sailing. Since we have 3 kids, we have an option of booking one cabin that sleeps 5 rather than booking 2 separate cabins and trying to get connecting ones.

We're in South Brunswick. I am hoping to get some good airfare with Southwest out of Philly just waiting until they release those dates. I wouldn't mind going to BWI either but if we do the Valor that would be Sunday night and I don't think I am going to want to do that drive that evening and then have to worry about school and work the next day.

Yeah, booking the one room would sound like the better option as well.

DYM - the drive from BWI on the way back would be kinda tough....actually, Monday morning for school would probably be even more tough. I'm still trying to decide. I like the idea that on the Dream we would get at least one day to settle in before Halloween....I also think I like the itinerary better with Roatan....wish they could swap Costa Maya for Grand Caymen though.

Archived