Who sailed the Carnival Mardi Gras?

Abram797

We were on her 5-13-79. Inside cabin M163. Our first cruise. It was a 14 day through the Panama Canal. That was the start for us. We have 33 cruises on 23 different ships on 8 different cruise lines. We loved it when the most of the ships were small - not the huge floating hotels many lines have now.

• 1 year later...

The Mardi Gras was our very first cruise back in 1989 - had to delay going a couple of months due to a little storm named Hugo (which meant we were working overtime with zero chance of time off). 2nd cruise was the Carnivale. I need to find pictures because these 2 cruises would put us very close to Platinum.

I remember the cabin steward giving us envelopes for doing tips the last evening of the cruise (had to make sure we had cash in the right denominations). Also - that tiny bathroom where you could take care of "everything" without moving. We were in a cabin in the very point at the front of the ship (no porthole) with a sloping floor! :D

Talk about dating myself - I was a Gift Shop girl onboard the Mardi Gras in the early 80's (just prior to that was a Gift Shop girl on the Carnivale). I actually worked my way up to Asst. Mgr. of the shops on the Gras & then managed the shops on the Festivale.

By far - the VERY BEST time of my life!!! Have loved cruising for the last 15 - 20 years - nothing will ever beat the fun I had back then!

• Thanks 1

The Mardi Gras was my second cruise back in 1984. The first was Carnivale in 1983. Any remember the Male Nightgown Competition?

My first was Carnivale in 1986. 4 of us in a cabin. We did have a porthole You had to step up & over to get into the cabin & step up again to get into the bathroom. The bathroom was so small we said you could shower, brush your teeth & Sh*t at the same time. I have dressed guys for those Male Nightgown competitions. Never laughed as hard as I did when my 6'4'' big burly, brother was in the competition wearing gramma's pink chiffon baby doll nightgown & pearl clip on earrings!

I remember paying cash for our drinks.

Edited by ChosenOne
adding a thought

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2018 at 3:43 PM, ChosenOne said:

My first was Carnivale in 1986. 4 of us in a cabin. We did have a porthole You had to step up & over to get into the cabin & step up again to get into the bathroom. The bathroom was so small we said you could shower, brush your teeth & Sh*t at the same time. I have dressed guys for those Male Nightgown competitions. Never laughed as hard as I did when my 6'4'' big burly, brother was in the competition wearing gramma's pink chiffon baby doll nightgown & pearl clip on earrings!

Did he look something like this??

MensNightgownContest.jpg.61bded72db458a74c5eda2c9e5b1e983.jpg

• Like 1

I guess I'm really old! I sailed on her when she was the Canadian Pacific liner Empress of Canada in 1970 as a Third (Navigating) Officer, then married one of the ship's nurses. 23 years later we sailed on her again as the Mardi Gras as passengers! Deja Vu! Not much had changed, just a few paint jobs!

david may 1972.png

• Like 2

Sailed transatlantic on this ship in 1968 as Empress of Canada!

Old time ocean liner-type operation.

Was in a porthole 4-berth cabin with 3 other men I did not know. Didn't spend much time in the cabin. Food and service was excellent. Also enjoyed the low price drinks, much cheaper than on land because no duty was charged. Not much entertainment, some movies in a small theatre and a dance band nightly. Daily puzzles to solve, but no competitions.

One burial at sea (private) of passenger who died on board. Table waiter mentioned it was not unusual from time to time.

Edited by TexasBrit
spelling correction

Such fun to read all the posts. Brings back fond memories. We were on the Mardi Gras in July 1985 with our two teenage kids--all four of us in a tiny cabin. It was our 3rd cruise (the first on Costa Flavia). The cruise director was a bald guy whose name I can't recall, but he was a hoot. And ooh! those fabulous midnight buffets. Those early ships rocked so much I got seasick every time, but it didn't stop us from loving to cruise.  We finished our 55th cruise in January (16 on Carnival) for a total of 580 days at sea so far. We had 2 Princess cruises scheduled (should be on one now) for a total of 43 days that were canceled because of the coronavirus--so you can see the cruising bug hit us hard!

We are excited to be booked on the NEW Mardi Gras over New Years!  Also booked on the Magic at the end of August. Fingers crossed that the virus crisis is long over by then.

Well, that did rock...they were only 25,000 tons compared to the behemoths of today! Glad that you saw the Mardi Gras as she was back then, and also that as you live in FL is so easy for you! We, however, will never do big ship cruising again - partly as Ive seen it from both sides ( a Navigating Officer and a passenger) and as latter I feel like being herded like cattle.! Try small boat cruising as you meet 'travellers' not tourists? We have done one Katarina Line in Croatia (32 passengers) and are booked to do another in September.

However, my gut feeling is that the Cono situation will be much worse in N America than your note expresses.