Azura naming/ visits

Johnthed0g

Well I am one that did receive the email invite. I am awaiting further information though to see if I can go .. unfortunately I will have to sort out connecting flights, transport, hotels (depending on flight times) etc. Could be costly but I may never get another chance so it may be worth it.

First thing, well done to those that have been selected, more so to those that deserve to be asked due to worthwhile, helpful contributions.

Well I have tried to bring up the flaws in the selection process as a discussion point, trouble with that is people seem unable to see the intellectual aspect of this & label such discussion as ''sour grapes'' as I have not received an invite via this process. This is nonsense, if I was that bothered do you think I would expose myself to such criticism by saying so in public? had I been given a place by this process I would still see the unfair aspect of it. Make no mistake I would have accepted, but I would much rather be invited by P&O because they know & value me as a customer & want me there based on my track record not because I spend time on a forum rather than enjoying real life.

Well I am one that did receive the email invite. I am awaiting further information though to see if I can go .. unfortunately I will have to sort out connecting flights, transport, hotels (depending on flight times) etc. Could be costly but I may never get another chance so it may be worth it.

Ken, if it's overnight, you might not need a hotel, or on the other hand make a short break of it.

Hope you manage to sort something out.

Though if you can't, and they're going further down the list, I'm number 18!

I have asked P&O on everyone's behalf, the reply was if people do not accept they will look at the situation ''based on availability''....at least it wasn't NO, so if you are borderline you never know!! I can also confirm that the occasion is overnight on board.

I really can't see them asking 10 people off the forum but limiting it to only the top ten if first choices can't make it.

Anyone who knows anything of P&O's forum will know how it has been run in the past year and the consequences of allowing certain people to do what they like. People will also know that some of those who have been chosen for this event post nothing to do with cruising but have contributed a lot to the unpleasantness that has gone on, when they should have kept quiet. They talk amongst themselves, contributing nothing to the main aim of the site. If the criteria chosen by P&O was the number of posts made, then it is plainly ridiculous to choose some whose main activity and number of posts has been to target those they chose and talk amongst themselves in the 'bar'. Some are still laughing at one they targeted at will. Deserving? NO!

Don't see any bitchy comments, just the truth that some invites have gone to people who offer little help & advice but chat all day & night (it seems) to each other & in one case to herself mostly! Nothing personal I'm sure. Even the top poster ''DK'' has probably posted quite a bit defending himself from those who continually pick on the old boy. I think a vote would have been better, limited to those who had been members for a certain time & posted a certain number of posts to avoid fraud.

I read several Cruise Forums and would have to agree there does appear to have been quite a lot of nastiness on the P&O forum. P&O seem to have done a very good job though of getting rid of those nasty people, so well done to them.

I think you may find that those removed are not always nasty & those who remain all particularly nice. Some forums appear to be run by an "inner circle" & unless they approve, normal people who speak truthfully & plainly do not last. I also suspect these cliques span over more than one site too.

JohnthedOg I agree. This privilege could have been better handed out and certainly not to those whose posts are both flim flam and reactionary. It could be said that now certain people have gone the forum is better but IMO if the targeters had kept their thoughts to themselves about certain people as the majority of members do there wouldn't have been any nastiness. NOW they've shut up getting at individuals, the forum is OK, until a certain gentleman gets on their nerves again. It beggars belief that P&O have 'rewarded' these people in this way.

I agree Alicia, it's much better now but the nasty comments here are typical of the problem the site had. Wouldn't it be nice if they could just be pleased.

Please try to understand, the comments being made are not born out of jealousy, just a sense of fair play. Presumably our two new members are also members on P&O? I am very pleased indeed for those invited to this great event, but the invite must seem hollow to those who really know deep down they have done nothing to deserve it. Those who have contributed little of value nor cruised enough to be considered premium customers. Not personal, just factual.

Issues, don't think so.. I can only speak for myself but I post regularly about cruising & travel. I don't think it is vindictive to mention that I think the selection process has flaws. ''Issues'' may involve criticising others for no apparent reason & joining just for that reason, if you forgive me.

I am one of the 10 selected from the P&O forum. I am still astounded that I have been picked but as I do cruise regularly, I do answer queries from other less travelled or new cruisers plus I chat in the cyber bar I can't see why anyone would begrudge me a place. I've never been involved in any bad feeling with anyone as far as I know and if I have then it certainly didn't register!

A lot of the comments are making me feel that I'm not worthy of this lovely token of appreciation from P&O and that shouldn't be so.

I am one of the 10 selected from the P&O forum. I am still astounded that I have been picked but as I do cruise regularly, I do answer queries from other less travelled or new cruisers plus I chat in the cyber bar I can't see why anyone would begrudge me a place. I've never been involved in any bad feeling with anyone as far as I know and if I have then it certainly didn't register!

A lot of the comments are making me feel that I'm not worthy of this lovely token of appreciation from P&O and that shouldn't be so.

Nobody would begrudge you your place, you cruise, in fact you may even be cruising close to the "do," you help people as well as chat, some only chat & you know who I mean.

I'm appalled that people should feel the need to justify their selection and explain their usage of the Community board.

What they post and the content of their posts/pms is nowt to do with us.

The sour grapes brigade should go tread on those grapes and make vinegar

I can't believe that anybody should be upset about the naming ceremony of Azura. On the contrary we should all be pleased for those who, unexpectedly and totally out of the blue, received invitations. What a fabulous surprise and I'm dead jealous!!!

As for allocating invitations based on quality of posts who is going to determine whether a post is 'quality' or not? Totally unworkable. The fact is P&O own the website, they decide the rules, they apply the rules and it is up to them whom they invite and whom they do not.

..............And by the way they own the ship as well!!!!!!!!!!

If you are talking about me, I am not upset about anything, I am not jealous I am just putting forward a point of view that someone who has consistently given help & advice over a long period of time is more deserving of a place at an event such as this than someone who just chats or complains about others, so is someone who has done many cruises & is a valued customer. I don't see why people should get upset over what should be a discussion.

I don't believe there is anything to discuss. P&O decide who gets the invitations and that is final.

Congratulations to all who have their place on the ship. I feel sure you will have a wonderful time. What an experience! You never know, Jedward might be the star entertainers!!!

I think this is really weird, don't see why people are upset, have some of you actually read what has been said, it is just a non personal, academic discussion about the method P&O have used. It seems that some only want to argue rather than talk about it, there seems no point in carrying on with it.

JTD, Ignore my comments if you please as you have done before. I have only cruised 3 times, yes.Should be cruising very soon , but daughters baby is due soon. So going on Azura next january, in a deluxe stateroom. I love cruising, but cant do it that often due to hubbys work and family commitment. I have been a member of this site and P&O since 2002. I might not answer every question as some do on P&O site, but what I know about ..suites, in particular I do. Not always in public either as people are aware some others look down on them if they have a suite.

I have spent a very large amount of money with P&O and so I dont think I am any less worthy than anyone else to have been chosen.

Continue to pick fault with P&O and their system of choice, Im sure they are taking notice of your constant rattling on about what they should have done.

Oh Spud!

You do not have to defend yourself to anyone.

It is P&Os ship and they make the rules. If people don't like it then they can use their wallets to protest.

JTD, I saw your banned status on XX, is there a pattern emerging here?

Anyway Sue, I hope you and all you ship mates have a fantastic time. I wish I was going just to blow smoke in Derek Kane's face (and I dont smoke)!

Cheers

Gerry

It would be interesting to know how a poll might have been set up to select those, perceived by some, as deserving of an invitation.

Would it have consisted of nominated members, if so, by whom, or certain criteria?

If the latter, what would the criteria be?

• number of cruises? 5,10,50??
  • number of nights spent on board? 100,200,500??
  • greatest spend on cruises?
  • all, or a combination, of the above?
  • other?

Ultimately, it was the decision of P&O and yes, people are free suggest it was flawed, unfair, etc.but it apears to be becoming rather a personal gripe on here by a few. Post your opinions on the P&O forum and address them to the Administrator instead of getting at the lucky 10 on another forum.

Nevertheless, whatever the content of the successful members posts, without them P&O wouldn't have a Community forum or would have one limited to purely cruise questions, which people only visited pre or post cruise, to moan about things that were wrong etc. I doubt they would prefer that route. Not very good PR for them.

Clearly, they wish to indicate to new and prospective cruisers what a knowledgeable, amusing and friendly bunch of people choose to cruise with P&O. We have always found this to be so.

P&O provided the non cruise sections of their forum, as they did all the others, and, if they had deemed them to be misused in any way, or detrimental to their reputation, they would have pulled the plug long ago, as they do with any posts/posters that contravene the T&C's repeatedly.

When, from time to time, they get rid of the trolls and those who are just there to be argumentative and unpleasant the Community forum is a very friendly place, in my experience.

Very interested to read any views on my suggested criteria and please feel free to add any of your own that you may think would be pertinent.

Archived