Cannon Powershot D10

kamac56

Oh wow, that's just around the corner. I can't wait to see pics. If you post them in a different thread, can you make sure that you come back here and let us know? That way I'll get a notification and can look for them.

Have fun on your trip! :)

Ok I am back and have started my review... the link is here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1150670

The picture is out of the camera and I did not enhance it or alter it. This was the best one I took. I think the shallow depth and sun light helped as well. I think the greenish look is addressed by the underwater setting on the camera as the color is a little off above water with the underwater setting.

I, too, have the D10 and found that i really didn't have to Photoshop anything - the colors were great just as i shot them.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Having said that, though, I agree with tmitchell's other post - make sure you take it off the underwater setting above the water. I didn't for some of my shots and they came out with a distinct orange cast to them. When I did, they were great.

IMG_0317.jpg

I, too, have the D10 and found that i really didn't have to Photoshop anything - the colors were great just as i shot them.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Having said that, though, I agree with tmitchell's other post - make sure you take it off the underwater setting above the water. I didn't for some of my shots and they came out with a distinct orange cast to them. When I did, they were great.

IMG_0317.jpg

Those are really great pictures!!! Love the turtles. Where did you take those at? Was the mountain shot taken with the underwater setting still on?

IMG_0317.jpg

I just had to say...even this picture is really cool and brilliant colors and very clear. I like it like this too.

Those are really great pictures!!! Love the turtles. Where did you take those at? Was the mountain shot taken with the underwater setting still on?

Thanks! I love my D10! I just point and shoot! The turtles were in Barbados, Silver Moon tour. And yeah, when I shot the mountain (Pitons in St. Lucia), we had been snorkeling first, and I forgot to reset it to non-underwater for a few shots.

I just had to say...even this picture is really cool and brilliant colors and very clear. I like it like this too.

Thanks - it was kinda neat, and after I got home and saw what it looked like, I figured I'd keep it. Then, when I switched it off underwater, those came out even better!

So all of those pictures you posted are from a D10?

Not all of them ... but the Majority and all of the underwater obviously also if it has the date stamp in the corner it is mine, as I forgot to take that off. For the review I was trying to use a few shots from everyone on the trip... that took pictures that is. These shots are all from My D10.

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

CopyofCopyofIMG_0234.jpg

CopyofIMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

I am sure once I learn the tricks of the camera and how to use all of the features.... There won't be a bad picture at least from the camera.... operator error is something even canon can't engineer out. LOL

Well, I'm definitely impressed with the pictures the camera produces. I guess I'm officially on the market for one them. Any suggestions as to the best place to get one?

We got ours from Amazon.com. At the time, we could not find it in any store around us. Not to mention, no sales tax and free shipping.

Your pictures are great! But I thought you and others might appreciate what 3 seconds of editing can do for underwater photos. All I did was load into Photoshop Elements and on the quick edit menu hit the Auto button under lighting - levels then save the file.

Which one of the two below do you prefer?

801303093_eyqvf-M.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

Your pictures are great! But I thought you and others might appreciate what 3 seconds of editing can do for underwater photos. All I did was load into Photoshop Elements and on the quick edit menu hit the Auto button under lighting - levels then save the file.

Which one of the two below do you prefer?

801303093_eyqvf-M.jpg

I do like how it came out, although i might take it down a level in the vivid department! I did Elements with my Legend cruise underwater pix and loved them.

I guess my point was just that if someone doesn't have PS Elements, they would still get a great picture with the D10. Drat, now I'm going to have to go back and Photoshop all of my other underwater pix just to see how good they turn out! :p

Just got back on the Valor. I took 1784 pictures with this camera. My underwater pics turned out great. I am very happy with my D-10 Camera purchase, it takes as good, if not better above water picks as any other point and shoot camera I own. I took it everywhere I went, and it fit in the pocket of my swim suit very comfortably. There are also camera settings that allow for very vivid photos, without the need to resort to photo shop.

If I had one complaint, it is that the camera's AI does not always work properly. For example...in some cases...I wanted to snap a photo on auto...only for the camera to go into micro mode, and refuse to focus properly. I found it very easy to set the camera on presets for specific photo situations (Sunset, portrait, underwater), and the AI worked pretty good for the most part, but it malfunctioned enough to be annoying. Honestly though...most of the malfunctioning occured in low light conditions, were flash photography was not allowed,

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my detailed photo book of 150 pages of D-10 photos for...Aruba, Bonaire, Eleuthera, Dominica, Grenada, St John. This is the new photo books they sell onboard the Princess. The Book looks really sharp.

http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=154975

ONE TIP- if you click on the arrows below the photos, you can see 2 pages at a time, which give a better panoramic view. If you click directly on the photo instead of using the arrows...you can only see one BIG page at a time (click again to go back to two page view)

I took a peak at your e-book. Fantastic quality in terms of photos and commentary. Fill in more details on the cost, the time to finish a book like that and you said it is sold on the Princess. Looks like you got some other photos in at the end. I'm unsure about what kinds of digital technology the ships typically offer. Expand a little for us newbies.

I took a peak at your e-book. Fantastic quality in terms of photos and commentary. Fill in more details on the cost....

Thanks for asking :D

I am a guy with a point and shoot camera.... and some guy called me a photographer and I had to turn around to see if he was talking to someone behind me :D (I always thought of Photographers as people who own lenses, and flashes, and a camera bag)...anyway my point is... the technology in the D10, and the web photo book from PanRaven make it easy for anyone to look good:p

On the Princess Ruby (and a few other lines) they are selling a photo book for $59.95 for 100 pages plus free shipping (its $1 a page if you go over 100 pages). My wife talked me into buying it and it was a lot of fun to build and very easy to use...just drag and drop in your photos.

The book came pre-loaded with a cover page for each island we visited a few stock photos, a map, and a few paragraphs of tourist info on each island. I didn't use much of the pre-loaded material I'm probably at 98% my own photos... but page 35 is a stock photo (i tried to get the same shot, but waves on our small dive boat made it blurry). Also the lobby on page 16 is not my photo. I did use a few of the stock photos to fill in stuff I missed like the sign and palm trees on Princess Cay.

One of the nice features is that they also down load to your account any photos you bought on board. So the portraits on page 16 and 17 are from the ships photographer. Also page 2 and 3 have a few stock photos of the inside of the ship, and two more portraits that we bought. (if you see an empty room of the ships public spaces...its one of the stock photos they included. I'm glad they did, I didn't spend enough time taking photos inside the ship)

The D10 took such great photos... in the caves, waterfalls, rivers, reefs I gave it one hell of a workout. It was 99% perfect. Had a few focus glitches in the cave waterfall ranforest environment...bright sun one second, to pitch dark and rooms full of water raining from every direction the next.... AI was working overtime and it did a great job! Over all.

None of my photos needed Photoshop or color boosting... The color was great! But in preperation to print out my coffee table book... I did use a feature at PanRavens web site called Digital Magic it adds some extra color because you will loose some light when they go to print (pages 24 the turtles, 102 the squid, page 99, 124-125 ship wreck, and page 61 have been brightened, but they didn't need it for viewing on the computer screen and after I go to print I might put them back to normal They look a little over cooked at the moment). The color was great from the D10 right out of the box on 99% of the photos.

If you have anymore questions.... feel free to ask. I'm waiting for my book in the mail. It took a week to print, and a week to ship. I'm killing time waiting for the finished product. Figures I come to read about photography and cameras after I get home. I'm so backwards :p

Oh and to answer your last question... I used the D10 up to page 134. Page 135 and on... are photos I took with my old camera a Canon Powershot SD400 that is a few years older. But I posted a few of our other cruise photos to take my book up to the maximum 150 pages. I thought it was cool that all my pics are in one place.

I just finished my detailed photo book of 150 pages of D-10 photos for...Aruba, Bonaire, Eleuthera, Dominica, Grenada, St John. This is the new photo books they sell onboard the Princess. The Book looks really sharp.

http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=154975

ONE TIP- if you click on the arrows below the photos, you can see 2 pages at a time, which give a better panoramic view. If you click directly on the photo instead of using the arrows...you can only see one BIG page at a time (click again to go back to two page view)

Great book!!!! You did a very nice job on it. The price for the book is actually pretty good. Is it a hard covered book? Iphoto has a feature that allows you to do this as well, but the cost is significantly higher. It is nice that you do have access to stock photos as well since there are certain pictures you are just never going to get.

Great book!!!! You did a very nice job on it. The price for the book is actually pretty good. Is it a hard covered book?

Thanks, glad you liked the pics. Yes its a hardcover. The price was good if you bought on the ship, and you had 4 months to finish the book. It took me about 1 month, just playing with it while watching TV at night.

Panraven is currently providing the service for Princess Cruises and Holland America, plus a similar post-trip option for Royal Caribbean, and in the works of setting up Norwegian Cruise Line next.

I've never seen these new type of professionally printed photo books. So I'm glad they are introducing them on the ships :)

Mark I just purchased the Canon D10, it should be delivered on Monday. When you went on the Canyoning Tour what setting did you put the camera on. Your pictures were so good I want mine to come out good too!

Mark I just purchased the Canon D10, it should be

delivered on Monday. When you went on the Canyoning Tour what setting did

you put the camera on. Your pictures were so good I want mine to come out

good too!

Hi Rosieo, (I just noticed you're from Michigan, I use to live in Troy)

You just asked a hard question. I was in the water, in the spray, in the rain,

bright light, dark, and shadow all at the same time.

What's nice, is that the small group takes time to move down each waterfall (so

I took my time between repels as we waited for our turn) I shoot some photos

6 times. I tried many different settings Foliage, Landscape, indoor, sunset...and

always did a Auto shot. Many times the Auto shot turned out best. But not always.

I never used Night, Fireworks, or long shutter, because I didn't have a tripod.

So take time to find a good spot. Get good at flipping through your controls.

And try a few different settings. Its a tricky place to take photos.

In contrast... all my snorkeling shots I just set to underwater and left the

camera alone.

In some rooms with rain and spray, you are going to have trouble with the flash

catching and lighting-up all the water in the air. Just take a few shots and

eventually the camera gets it right.

This is a tip... (some people carried their camera but I don't know how they did

it? We banged into everything). I had a dive skin on under the wet suit and

kept the camera inside my sleeve against my inner forearm. Lots of banging

around, but the wet suit keeps you from getting cut or bruised, but a camera is

in the way....so I left my camera case back at base camp. The right sleeve of

my dive suit was all stretched out of shape but it was the best place to keep the

camera. My wife wore the wet suite they gave her. I only wore the pants and

had my own dive skin.... which worked well as a place to keep my camera

pinned against my inner forearm - Lycra material.

Blooper shots...

Here's two photos that didn't work, and a third that give you some ideas

of the conditions you have to deal with. I wish I would have taken a few extra

shots. The first one was too much mist in the air, the second was too much

reflection off the orange vest onto my face, and the 3rd photo give you and idea

of how hard it is to shoot in a room full of dripping water.

Anyone want to offer us any advice??? Always looking to learn?

Ask someone to take a photo of you and your partner. Offer to take a pic of

them and email it to them in return. Lots of people didn't have cameras.

Also take your time to think of good shots to set-up :D so many backgrounds.

Lots of possibilities. Use the water...my favorite shot is one where I was floating on

my back shooting my wife and the cracks in the roof above.

Don't take too many photos. Put the camera down at times and enjoy

the experience.

5RubyPrincess099o.jpg

5RubyPrincess099p.jpg

5RubyPrincess223.jpg

Mark I am just a few miles from Troy! Small world! I will be getting my Canon D10 the beginning of next week. I am going to play around with it and if I have questions I hope I can find you here next week! I think I should be able to figure it out but I may have a few questions if you don't mind.

Also did you make your photo book while you were on the cruise or after. I went to their site and signed up. I will certainly look at it again after the cruise.

Mark I am just a few miles from Troy! Small world! I will be getting my Canon D10 the beginning of next week. I am going to play around with it and if I have questions I hope I can find you here next week! I think I should be able to figure it out but I may have a few questions if you don't mind.

Also did you make your photo book while you were on the cruise or after. I went to their site and signed up. I will certainly look at it again after the cruise.

I'm sure some other folks can chime in... I might be one of the least qualified photographers here. I just fiddled my way through it.

The more you play, the better you will be prepared. Its pretty logical, you just need to be able to turn off-or-on the flash settings, and switch modes in a hurry, understand Macro/normal button, and how the auto setting effects things based on what you are pointing the camera at (usually my own hand while I'm trying to figure out why its flashing the Macro symbol?) LOL If I can do it, anyone can. Some times photo opportunities came up fast, and I didn't want to miss a good shot because I couldn't get my camera into the right mode.

The package I bought gave me 4 months to finish my book. No time to work on it during the trip. To be safe down load your photos every two days, or take an extra memory card. You wouldn't want to lose your camera on the last day with all photos inside.

Yep, I plan on taking my Netbook. I did that last summer on my trip to Alaska. I put my pictures on the Netbook every evening, it was a great way to keep them organized since I took over 3000 pictures. I do have a DSLR that I know how to use OK. Thanks for the tips on the D10. Hopefully I get some good ones!

Yep, I plan on taking my Netbook. I did that last summer on my trip to Alaska. I put my pictures on the Netbook every evening, it was a great way to keep them organized since I took over 3000 pictures. I do have a DSLR that I know how to use OK. Thanks for the tips on the D10. Hopefully I get some good ones!

Great, I look forward to seeing your photos when you get back. Are you on Princess? Which ship?

Dear Canon Powershot D10 users,

What memory class or transfer rate are you using with this camera. I'm interested in capturing all that this camera is capable of image and video wise. I'm not sure where to spend my dollars; size or speed.

For the same price I can get 8GB sdhc with a 30mb/s transfer rate or a 16GB sdhc rated class 6 or 6mb/s transfer rate. My question is which configuration is best for the design and specs of this camera? It seems the more I research this issue the more confused I get; so thanks to anyone who has this information. ;)

Archived