Cannon Powershot D10

kamac56

Dear Canon Powershot D10 users,

What memory class or transfer rate are you using with this camera. I'm interested in capturing all that this camera is capable of image and video wise. I'm not sure where to spend my dollars; size or speed.

For the same price I can get 8GB sdhc with a 30mb/s transfer rate or a 16GB sdhc rated class 6 or 6mb/s transfer rate. My question is which configuration is best for the design and specs of this camera? It seems the more I research this issue the more confused I get; so thanks to anyone who has this information. ;)

I have an older 1GB SD San Disk card that I use and do not have any issues with transferring video or picture to my computer. I do not think there is any requirements for a specific card for the D10. I transferred all 220 pictures from the camera to my Mac in under 2 minutes. Photos were taked at the fine 12MP mode. I know my HD camera has a requirement of a class 6 card to transfer the HD AVCHD video, but since the D10 does not do HD video, no real need.

Hi tmitchell82 - I was curious about the camera recording data to the memory card as you are taking pictures. I was wondering at what rate can this camera transfer the image to the memory card, so that the card I pick does not hinder the ability to take shots at the fastest turn around possible with the D10.

I think you might have helped...if the read transfer rate (sending to the computer) is the same as the write transfer rate (recording the picture) and you are using an older card and it workd fine, then I don't need to worry about it anyway. Thanks for your input! :)

Hi tmitchell82 - I was curious about the camera recording data to the memory card as you are taking pictures. I was wondering at what rate can this camera transfer the image to the memory card, so that the card I pick does not hinder the ability to take shots at the fastest turn around possible with the D10.

I think you might have helped...if the read transfer rate (sending to the computer) is the same as the write transfer rate (recording the picture) and you are using an older card and it workd fine, then I don't need to worry about it anyway. Thanks for your input! :)

Not sure if it is the same rate or not, but I did a little testing with my D10 using the older SanDisk 1.0GB SD card and my new class 6 Toshiba 8GB SDHC card. There did not seem to be any difference in the lag from shooting the picture to it being ready to shoot another picture or how long it seemed to transfer the image. Not sure if that help, but I thought I would do a comparison of the 2 cards for you.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Can someone fill me in on how to use the "stitch assist" feature? I know how to take the pictures and then move the camera to line up the next shot. I don't see it as a "panorama" picture ON the camera when I vew the pictures though. Can anyone help with this?

Can someone fill me in on how to use the "stitch assist" feature? I know how to take the pictures and then move the camera to line up the next shot. I don't see it as a "panorama" picture ON the camera when I vew the pictures though. Can anyone help with this?

i haven't used this in a long time but I believe the Canon software that came with the camera is used to actually stitch the photos together into a panorama - I don't think the camera does it on its own. Most 3rd party photo editing programs, like Photoshop Elements, do stitching as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I absolutely loved the book. I hope NCL starts doing something like this. If not, I will have to come up with my own or something.

I purchased my D10 several months ago. I'm loving it. It takes pretty good pictures (of course not as good as my slr, but still). I have yet to use it under water. My cruise is in Sept.

I have several questions to ask about this camera to those of you that have one.

1) I need to buy the camera strap for snorkeling. Any suggestions? Are there different kinds? Do they all just attach to your wrist? Or do they just attach to the camera and if you were to drop it, then it will float to the top of the water? I tried looking for one on ebay and there doesn't seem to be much of a variety. But then again, I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right item.

2) How do you "prepare" your camera before using it in the water? Are you suppose to submerge it in water or test it some how before actually using it? I've seen people say that once you've had it in the ocean, you should rinse it off. I'm just really freaked out about doing this for the first time. :eek:

I absolutely loved the book. I hope NCL starts doing something like this. If not, I will have to come up with my own or something.

I purchased my D10 several months ago. I'm loving it. It takes pretty good pictures (of course not as good as my slr, but still). I have yet to use it under water. My cruise is in Sept.

I have several questions to ask about this camera to those of you that have one.

1) I need to buy the camera strap for snorkeling. Any suggestions? Are there different kinds? Do they all just attach to your wrist? Or do they just attach to the camera and if you were to drop it, then it will float to the top of the water? I tried looking for one on ebay and there doesn't seem to be much of a variety. But then again, I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right item.

2) How do you "prepare" your camera before using it in the water? Are you suppose to submerge it in water or test it some how before actually using it? I've seen people say that once you've had it in the ocean, you should rinse it off. I'm just really freaked out about doing this for the first time. :eek:

Did the camera come with a strap the attaches to one of the 4 corners? Mine came with a strap that you could connect to one of the 4 connecting points on the corner of the camera. The strap could be tightened around your wrist so the camera was secure to your wrist. Never had a problem with it. I have read you can get one that also floats, but I found the strap with the camera to be sufficient.

As for preparing your camera, the only thing you need to do is change the settings for underwater. I never did anything different with my camera regarding the salt water. Has worked fine without any problems.

Tim

Yes it came with the regular camera strap. However, I've read too many post that states to get the floating strap...just in case. So, I'm trying to figure out information on those. Even though the camera is a point and shoot, it was still an expensive p&s and I would hate the thought of me accidentally dropping it.

I had read awhile back that you need to do something, like submerge it in water to let bubbles out or something like that prior to using it under water. However, I can't remember where I found that at. :( I was thinking there were some type of instructions about how to do it.

Yes it came with the regular camera strap. However, I've read too many post that states to get the floating strap...just in case. So, I'm trying to figure out information on those. Even though the camera is a point and shoot, it was still an expensive p&s and I would hate the thought of me accidentally dropping it.

I had read awhile back that you need to do something, like submerge it in water to let bubbles out or something like that prior to using it under water. However, I can't remember where I found that at. :( I was thinking there were some type of instructions about how to do it.

My friend has an Olympus underwater camera and his had instructions to do something along the lines of submerge it and wash it off. It does say to check the seals when you open and close them to make sure there is no sand or other stuff that might make the seal not work.

Below is a link to a floatable strap if you are interested. I have taken my D10 down water slides, river tubing, whitewater rafting, snorkeling, etc all with the strap provided, very securely connected to me and have not had an issue. Would definitely not go in the water without it securely attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Floating-Camera-Powershot-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B002Q6LY8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277231065&sr=8-1

My friend has an Olympus underwater camera and his had instructions to do something along the lines of submerge it and wash it off. It does say to check the seals when you open and close them to make sure there is no sand or other stuff that might make the seal not work.

Below is a link to a floatable strap if you are interested. I have taken my D10 down water slides, river tubing, whitewater rafting, snorkeling, etc all with the strap provided, very securely connected to me and have not had an issue. Would definitely not go in the water without it securely attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Floating-Camera-Powershot-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B002Q6LY8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277231065&sr=8-1

Yea, that seems to be the only camera strap that I've seen on amazon. I wanted to make sure that is what everyone is talking about.

I just went outside with my little one and got in the pool and submerged it in the water. It bubbled about 3 bubbles (as others had stated that it would) and then I snapped away (at feet and stuff since it was a baby pool). Everything worked out good as far as I can tell. I'm really gonna like this. :D

I did put the strap around my wrist and stuff (of course not the same as being in deep water splashing around) but I agree, I think the manufacturer strap will secure tight enough that it wouldn't come off or be lost some how. I think I'll just stuck with it.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Yea, that seems to be the only camera strap that I've seen on amazon. I wanted to make sure that is what everyone is talking about.

I just went outside with my little one and got in the pool and submerged it in the water. It bubbled about 3 bubbles (as others had stated that it would) and then I snapped away (at feet and stuff since it was a baby pool). Everything worked out good as far as I can tell. I'm really gonna like this. :D

I did put the strap around my wrist and stuff (of course not the same as being in deep water splashing around) but I agree, I think the manufacturer strap will secure tight enough that it wouldn't come off or be lost some how. I think I'll just stuck with it.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

1) be sure the strap is tight on your wrist. I have a Sealife camera but straps are straps and if you do not have it secured good on wrist can come off. Remember if you are using fins not always necessary to use hands to swim.

2) do not open camera while it is wet to down load pictures or take the memory out or change the batteries. be sure it is dry. (unless cannon has something special)

3) after using in salt water be sure to rince it good in fresh water and work the buttons and all so the slat water is cleaned out.

The Ump

John

1) be sure the strap is tight on your wrist. I have a Sealife camera but straps are straps and if you do not have it secured good on wrist can come off. Remember if you are using fins not always necessary to use hands to swim.

2) do not open camera while it is wet to down load pictures or take the memory out or change the batteries. be sure it is dry. (unless cannon has something special)

3) after using in salt water be sure to rince it good in fresh water and work the buttons and all so the slat water is cleaned out.

The Ump

John

Thank you. Everything noted. :D

After much debating, I just finished ordering the Canon D10. I had to make sure I could get the AKT-DC1 accessory kit (cost too much but that is the only way to carry the camera in the way I plan to) as that was a major selling point for me.

Should be here next week. I plan on taking it in places (mainly snorkeling and kayaking) where my DSLR might get dunked! Should have some time to play with it before our cruise next month!

As for the AKT-DC1 I finally located one in Colorado. It seems Canon is discontinuing the accessory kit and all the big online stores like B&H, Adorama, and Amazon are sold out. The store in CO had 2 left until I ordered one. So if anyone is looking for the AKT-DC1 this may be your last chance if you want to get one.

After much debating, I just finished ordering the Canon D10. I had to make sure I could get the AKT-DC1 accessory kit (cost too much but that is the only way to carry the camera in the way I plan to) as that was a major selling point for me.

Should be here next week. I plan on taking it in places (mainly snorkeling and kayaking) where my DSLR might get dunked! Should have some time to play with it before our cruise next month!

As for the AKT-DC1 I finally located one in Colorado. It seems Canon is discontinuing the accessory kit and all the big online stores like B&H, Adorama, and Amazon are sold out. The store in CO had 2 left until I ordered one. So if anyone is looking for the AKT-DC1 this may be your last chance if you want to get one.

So happy for you. I hope you enjoy it. I love mine. I had to have something for my snorkeling adventure on my cruise and as well as everyone says the cases to put the slr in for underwater works, I'm not willing to take that chance. This is a much cheaper alternative for me.

What is the AKT-DC1 kit? What does it do?

What is in this kit? I just got this camera and my daughter took it with her to play with. She is director of a summer day camp and the kids go swimming every week. She is letting the counselors take pictures of the kids underwater for their scrapbook. I can't wait to see how the pictures turn out.

What is in this kit? I just got this camera and my daughter took it with her to play with. She is director of a summer day camp and the kids go swimming every week. She is letting the counselors take pictures of the kids underwater for their scrapbook. I can't wait to see how the pictures turn out.

Don't forget to tell her to put it on the underwater setting. ;)

So happy for you. I hope you enjoy it. I love mine. I had to have something for my snorkeling adventure on my cruise and as well as everyone says the cases to put the slr in for underwater works, I'm not willing to take that chance. This is a much cheaper alternative for me.

What is the AKT-DC1 kit? What does it do?

I am with you there! If the case was defective somehow it would wind up in my possession:eek: and I can imagine all the bad things that happen to a DSLR and lens when exposed to salt water:eek:

608613.jpg

As for the AKT-DC1, it is basically an over priced strap kit that gives you some neat ways to carry and use the D10.

This was the video on youtube that had me interested in the Canon D10 and the AKT-DC1 accessory kit:

you can skip to the 2 minute mark to see how some of the items work... the audio is a little distracting being that it is noisy...

That is pretty cool:D

As for the AKT-DC1, it is basically an over priced strap kit that gives you some neat ways to carry and use the D10.

This was the video on youtube that had me interested in the Canon D10 and the AKT-DC1 accessory kit:

you can skip to the 2 minute mark to see how some of the items work... the audio is a little distracting being that it is noisy...

Well that was kinda neat. I don't think I would have any use for all the straps. I still can't figure out what the different colored thingys are though. :confused:

I am really looking into getting this camera!!! I've been on 3 cruises before and heading out in 2 weeks for our fourth!!! Let me first start out my saying that I have been taking pictures for years....I love to scrapbook. BUT when it comes to all the terminology with dealing with cameras and such, I need one of those "Photography for Dummies" book LOL

Like, in the details it states 3X Optical Zoom, 4X Digital Zoom & 12X Total Zoom. What's the difference between them? Does it mean if I'm sitting on the side lines of my son's soccer game, I can zoom in 12x to get that perfect close up shot? Trust me, all the cameras I've had in the past (and right now) are simple P&S ones from Walmart or the like. While they take an ok picture, everytime we've been on a cruise I always wanted to get one that you could bring in the water. So I've always bought those stupid disposable ones. Let me tell ya...they suck!!! LOL But when I saw this camera (saw a demo on QVC--it came with all the accessories like the picture in the above post) It was $399. Thing is...for what I'd use it for, I don't need all those accessories. I just want the camera, a strap and a case. Can ya tell me the best place to get one? And what the price should be for what I'm looking at instead of all the accessories?

Thanks so much!!!

I am really looking into getting this camera!!! I've been on 3 cruises before and heading out in 2 weeks for our fourth!!! Let me first start out my saying that I have been taking pictures for years....I love to scrapbook. BUT when it comes to all the terminology with dealing with cameras and such, I need one of those "Photography for Dummies" book LOL

Like, in the details it states 3X Optical Zoom, 4X Digital Zoom & 12X Total Zoom. What's the difference between them? Does it mean if I'm sitting on the side lines of my son's soccer game, I can zoom in 12x to get that perfect close up shot? Trust me, all the cameras I've had in the past (and right now) are simple P&S ones from Walmart or the like. While they take an ok picture, everytime we've been on a cruise I always wanted to get one that you could bring in the water. So I've always bought those stupid disposable ones. Let me tell ya...they suck!!! LOL But when I saw this camera (saw a demo on QVC--it came with all the accessories like the picture in the above post) It was $399. Thing is...for what I'd use it for, I don't need all those accessories. I just want the camera, a strap and a case. Can ya tell me the best place to get one? And what the price should be for what I'm looking at instead of all the accessories?

Thanks so much!!!

Optical zoom is how close the camera can get without using the digital zoom. Basically is uses the lense to zoom in on the object. Digital zoom does this by electronically manipulating the photo to get closer. A digital zoom does distort the picture quality. You get the total zoom by multiplying the two. However, my take on digital zooms, never use them. To quote my photography instructor "digital zooms suck" Look for the optical zoom, never the total zoom. In most compact P&S cameras, you are going to see anywhere from a 3X to 5X zoom. Definitely not something that is going to get you close to the action from distance, but they are not designed to. With the D10, using it underwater, the zoom really does not make much of a difference. You'd be hard pressed to get good pictures zooming in on something far away in the water.

If your looking to just get the D10, it can be had for around $275. link below is to Amazon (not tax...). Comes with a strap that works well for going underwater with. No case, but unless you want a case to carry the camera around in, you might not need it. The D10 is also drop/shock proof from 4ft and freeze proof down to a certain temp (had mine out in 5 degrees and no problem)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-D10-Waterproof-Stabilized/dp/B001SER460/ref=pd_cp_p_0

We took our D10 white water rafting once. If you taking it kayaking, one thing to keep in mind is to try and keep water drops off the lense if you are going through rapids and such. Got a number of pictures with water drops on them. Hard to keep them off, but one thing I discovered when using the D10 in a wet, non submerged environment. Couple of examples below. First one was going through the rapids in the rain. Second one, I had the lense dried and no rain.

4733119448_384e558143.jpg

4733119858_5061ac444f.jpg

Optical zoom is how close the camera can get without using the digital zoom. Basically is uses the lense to zoom in on the object. Digital zoom does this by electronically manipulating the photo to get closer. A digital zoom does distort the picture quality. You get the total zoom by multiplying the two. However, my take on digital zooms, never use them. To quote my photography instructor "digital zooms suck" Look for the optical zoom, never the total zoom. In most compact P&S cameras, you are going to see anywhere from a 3X to 5X zoom. Definitely not something that is going to get you close to the action from distance, but they are not designed to. With the D10, using it underwater, the zoom really does not make much of a difference. You'd be hard pressed to get good pictures zooming in on something far away in the water.

If your looking to just get the D10, it can be had for around $275. link below is to Amazon (not tax...). Comes with a strap that works well for going underwater with. No case, but unless you want a case to carry the camera around in, you might not need it. The D10 is also drop/shock proof from 4ft and freeze proof down to a certain temp (had mine out in 5 degrees and no problem)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-D10-Waterproof-Stabilized/dp/B001SER460/ref=pd_cp_p_0

Thanks so much. I know what you mean now. The camera I have now has a 3X optical zoom and then it'll zoom some more if I keep pressing the button (I'm assuming that's the digital zoom) I have noticed that when using the digital zoom, the pictures aren't as clear. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've always wanted to take a photography course, maybe that's something I should look into!!!

Archived