Snorkling in Honduras

txjudy54

We always snorkle in Cozumel but this is our first trip to Honduras. How is the snorkling compared to Cozumel?

Believe it or not, snorkeling at Roatan is even better than Coz, and that's saying a lot.

I recommend a boat snorkel, but even beach snorkeling is superb. Anthony's Key Resort is a first rate dive and snorkel operator.

I agree with Stevesan, Roatan was so much better than Cozumel. We did the clear kayak and snorkel at Tabayana Beach in Roatan and it was great...we saw barracuda, lobster, and schools of colorful fish, not to mention beautiful coral formations. If I had to choose between the two places, I would definitely pick Roatan every time!

I would also agree with the other posters. Actually the snorkeling in Roatan was some of the best I seen in the Caribbean.... and you can do it right from shore at Tabyana Beach. If you go follow the snorkel path out and snorkel on the other side of the reef - just shirt the other side of the reef parallel to the beach. It's really amazing.

The first trip to Roatan, Dec 2008, we docked in Coxen Hole and chose to go to Anthony's Key based on what I read on CC. (we had a 5-10 min walk and a 5-10 min boat ride to the island from the Coxen Hole pier). We had a great experience. Would highly recommend this as on option for your day in Roatan. You can "reserve" ahead online and save a few bucks. They rent gear if you don't have your own. They have nice bathroom facilitys, gift shop, pool, outside bar w/ food/drinks. The Snorkle experience was better than any I have had in Belize. I walked down a short pier, climbed down and short ladder and a guide took me through to opening in the reef. He stayed with me as safety diver until more people came then he got on a kayak so he could keep his eye on everyone. My husband, who does not enjoy water sports, stayed on shore and wandered the beach and the trails.

From Mahogany Bay, I was informed it was a approx 15-20min ride ($10.00pp) to get to the dock to catch the boat to the Key. We chose to stay at Mahogany Bay this trip (Dec 2009) not a bad day but the snorkeling is not much. The ships are blowing sand all over the reef there. When I go back to Roatan, I will go back to Anthony's Key.

I found the information below on http://www.roatanisland.net/roatan.htm

There are 2 cruise ship ports in Roatan. The Roatan port is located in Coxen Hole. Mahogany Bay (Carnival Cruise ships) port is 4 miles east of Coxen Hole. Walking into Coxen Hole from the Roatan port is very easy. Coxen Hole does not offer a lot for the tourist. However, there are some hand carved wood items from the mainland. If it is highly polished, it is probably not from Honduras. If you are an adventure traveler, then a quick walk into town and catching the mini bus to other island locations should be considered. Check the tours vs taxi information before venturing out. Also, port information and some links to do it yourself excursions can be found at www.portofroatan.com. There are excursion agencies besides the tour on the ship and with a little research you will find direct links to most tourist activities with web sites and phone numbers on this web site. You can find a "contact us" link on the web sites linked here and you will be able to contact the activity of your choice without any middleman! However, if you just want to book an excursion, then the agents at www.roatancruiseexcursions.com or www.tropicalrez.com/ are two booking web sites that can assist you.

roatan3.jpg

Maya Key (operated by Anthony's Cay Resort) offers swimming, snorkeling, shopping, food, etc on a small island off the end of the airport runway. They have two secluded beaches, a 70000 gallon swimming pool, a 5000 square foot lounge deck and garden paths. Their boats will pick you up at the cruise terminal for a short 5 minute ride to the island. You won't see much of Roatan on this excursion but it is an inexpensive way to just "hang" in a tropical location. The best water activity may be by the pool. You can make reservations on their website at www.mayakeyroatan.com or contact them at 800-227-3483 or 504-9995-9589

What ever you choose, Have a GREAT CRUISE.....

• 1 month later...

I ditto the post about Tabayana Beach Roatan, Honduras. I was skeptical at first going there but was amazed at the snorkeling off the beach. The coral formations are so vibrant and there are incredible amounts of fish. We even saw a grouper and octopus. We were so glad we went there.

Don't forget about Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan Reserve! I was so impressed with the snorkeling there that I returned a few months after the cruise for a week on San Pedro Island to be able to enjoy them a few more times!

Don't forget about Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan Reserve! I was so impressed with the snorkeling there that I returned a few months after the cruise for a week on San Pedro Island to be able to enjoy them a few more times!

If I'm not mistaken these are actually sites in Belize rather than Honduras. Also a great snorkel spot though!

Just got back from Tabyana and the snorkeling was amazing and usual. Only 2 bad things about this port: (1) the port day was way too short there and (2) the new Mahogany Bay complex and beach area was pretty interesting but again, because of problem #1 we did not get a chance to explore it.

From the ship there did not appear so be any real snorkeling at Mahogany but it did look like a nice place to spend the day at the beach.

Jessie

The first trip to Roatan, Dec 2008, we docked in Coxen Hole and chose to go to Anthony's Key based on what I read on CC. (we had a 5-10 min walk and a 5-10 min boat ride to the island from the Coxen Hole pier). We had a great experience. Would highly recommend this as on option for your day in Roatan. You can "reserve" ahead online and save a few bucks. They rent gear if you don't have your own. They have nice bathroom facilitys, gift shop, pool, outside bar w/ food/drinks. The Snorkle experience was better than any I have had in Belize. I walked down a short pier, climbed down and short ladder and a guide took me through to opening in the reef. He stayed with me as safety diver until more people came then he got on a kayak so he could keep his eye on everyone. My husband, who does not enjoy water sports, stayed on shore and wandered the beach and the trails.

From Mahogany Bay, I was informed it was a approx 15-20min ride ($10.00pp) to get to the dock to catch the boat to the Key. We chose to stay at Mahogany Bay this trip (Dec 2009) not a bad day but the snorkeling is not much. The ships are blowing sand all over the reef there. When I go back to Roatan, I will go back to Anthony's Key.

There are 2 cruise ship ports in Roatan. The Roatan port is located in Coxen Hole. Mahogany Bay (Carnival Cruise ships) port is 4 miles east of Coxen Hole. Walking into Coxen Hole from the Roatan port is very easy. Coxen Hole does not offer a lot for the tourist. However, there are some hand carved wood items from the mainland. If it is highly polished, it is probably not from Honduras. If you are an adventure traveler, then a quick walk into town and catching the mini bus to other island locations should be considered. Check the tours vs taxi information before venturing out. Also, port information and some links to do it yourself excursions can be found at www.portofroatan.com. There are excursion agencies besides the tour on the ship and with a little research you will find direct links to most tourist activities with web sites and phone numbers on this web site. You can find a "contact us" link on the web sites linked here and you will be able to contact the activity of your choice without any middleman! However, if you just want to book an excursion, then the agents at www.roatancruiseexcursions.com or www.tropicalrez.com/ are two booking web sites that can assist you.

roatan3.jpg

Maya Key (operated by Anthony's Cay Resort) offers swimming, snorkeling, shopping, food, etc on a small island off the end of the airport runway. They have two secluded beaches, a 70000 gallon swimming pool, a 5000 square foot lounge deck and garden paths. Their boats will pick you up at the cruise terminal for a short 5 minute ride to the island. You won't see much of Roatan on this excursion but it is an inexpensive way to just "hang" in a tropical location. The best water activity may be by the pool. You can make reservations on their website at www.mayakeyroatan.com or contact them at 800-227-3483 or 504-9995-9589

Do they have lockers or any place to safely keep belongings while snorkling?

I ditto the post about Tabayana Beach Roatan, Honduras. I was skeptical at first going there but was amazed at the snorkeling off the beach. The coral formations are so vibrant and there are incredible amounts of fish. We even saw a grouper and octopus. We were so glad we went there.

Where can you book Tabayana at is it only thru Carnival? Whats the best way?

Where can you book Tabayana at is it only thru Carnival? Whats the best way?

You can take a cab to Tabyana but make sure you book a cab round trip as I did not see a lot of cab activity once we were there. We booked a cab there the first time we went to Tabyana as few years ago but honestly we were not 100% sure that the cab was coming back for us at the end of the day (even though we had not paid him for the trip yet) and there was a little confusion on where we were meeting him. Its pretty far from the cruise ship port (about 30-40 minutes) so since then we have been back a few more times (just there last week actually) and always just book our trip there through the ship. It's only slightly more for 2 people and not really worth the concern. (If you have more people then booking on your own may be worth it.) Also, the main Tabyana area is private for just cruise ship passengers and you have to have an arm band to use the chairs and that part of the facility. Not sure if they really check for this but if you do not book through the cruise ship you may need to use another section of the beach. (There are plenty of other little resorts there with chairs etc. so you will not have a problem finding a place to sit for the day). However you go it's definitely woth the trip! Its a beautiful beach and some of the best snorkeling we've seen anywhere in the Caribbean! :)

Jessie

Maya Key (formerly known as "Fins and Flippers") was AMAZING!! We snorkeled for at least 3 hours straight. We were all wrinkly and burnt to a crisp when we were done but we didn't care. We couldn't get enough of the snorkeling. Plus, we enjoyed the rescued animals section of the island as well. We didn't have time to sample the food or enjoy the pool, but who needs a pool when you have a coral reef?

Maya Key (formerly known as "Fins and Flippers") was AMAZING!! We snorkeled for at least 3 hours straight. We were all wrinkly and burnt to a crisp when we were done but we didn't care. We couldn't get enough of the snorkeling. Plus, we enjoyed the rescued animals section of the island as well. We didn't have time to sample the food or enjoy the pool, but who needs a pool when you have a coral reef?

Is this something you booked on your own? How far is it from Mahogany Bay? We have always gone to Tabyana but Roatan is so amazing that I would love to see other things next time I'm there.

roatan3.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing these sites!! The www.roatanexcursions.com is wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

We took a cab to Tabyana and I have to agree with the other posters, the reef is a stones throw from the beach. It was a unique experience.

That said, there is another tour that I would love to take. Upachaya Resort offers a snorkel trip that sounds really good. I tryed to book it on our last cruise but was too late. I think that they only take 10 people at a time and stay booked 5 or 6 weeks in advance. Google them if you are interested.

We took a cab to Tabyana and I have to agree with the other posters, the reef is a stones throw from the beach. It was a unique experience.

That said, there is another tour that I would love to take. Upachaya Resort offers a snorkel trip that sounds really good. I tryed to book it on our last cruise but was too late. I think that they only take 10 people at a time and stay booked 5 or 6 weeks in advance. Google them if you are interested.

Clackey - What did you pay for your cab to Tabyana? Did you feel fairly saife about doing this? We did this our first time there a few years ago but it was not much less than the ship excursion and we were concerned about the cabbie coming back for us. We did not see a lot of cab activity on that side of the island. Now that we have been there a few times we might feel safer about this if it is a lot less expensive.

Jessie

Clackey - What did you pay for your cab to Tabyana? Did you feel fairly saife about doing this? We did this our first time there a few years ago but it was not much less than the ship excursion and we were concerned about the cabbie coming back for us. We did not see a lot of cab activity on that side of the island. Now that we have been there a few times we might feel safer about this if it is a lot less expensive.

Jessie

Jessie,

We rented the cab for the whole day for $80. If you only want to hit th e beach you might be better off booking a tour. I don't know what a cab cost just to go to Tabyana round trip. On our first trip to Roatan we had a driver drop us off at West End Bay and he came back at a specified time. That was great. You might google Roatan Taxis for more info.

My only concern was the distance to the beach from the new Mahogany Bay pier. It is a lenghty ride. More so than from Coxen Hole.

Jessie,

We rented the cab for the whole day for $80. If you only want to hit th e beach you might be better off booking a tour. I don't know what a cab cost just to go to Tabyana round trip. On our first trip to Roatan we had a driver drop us off at West End Bay and he came back at a specified time. That was great. You might google Roatan Taxis for more info.

My only concern was the distance to the beach from the new Mahogany Bay pier. It is a lenghty ride. More so than from Coxen Hole.

Thanks for the info Clackey! I think we paid about $60 round trip to go to the West end from Coxen Hole. It may be more now that Mahogany Bay is being used by most ships. But the distance is the concern for sure.

Archived