Attire on Windspirit Caribbean Cruise

B_and_B

I see from looking at some postings that attire on the Windstar line is more casual than on other cruise ships, but since this will be our first cruise ever, that doesn't tell me enough. My husband and I are in our late 50's, and we will be on the Windspirit out of St. Martin leaving March 6th. We want to pack light, but still have the appropriate clothing.

It sounds like shorts, shirts, boat shoes/sandals, swimwear are all that is needed during the day.

My question is what about evenings? It seems to be easy for you guys - a nice shirt and slacks and you are done. Ladies, what about us? Which is more the norm at dinner - dresses or tops/slacks? If dresses, how dressy? Also, what kind of shoes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You are correct about the daytime attire and the evening dress for men. We just returned from this Wind Spirit cruise and I would say there were more pants/nice tops for women at dinner than dresses.There was one woman on our cruise who wore very dressy dresses every night but she was the exception. There was also a woman who favored mumus in the evening-also an exception. Anything you would wear to a nice restaurant at home will be fine. Sandals for women in the evening are acceptable. Leave the sequins, spangles and tiaras at home! Please ask if you need more details.

You are correct about the daytime attire and the evening dress for men. We just returned from this Wind Spirit cruise and I would say there were more pants/nice tops for women at dinner than dresses.There was one woman on our cruise who wore very dressy dresses every night but she was the exception. There was also a woman who favored mumus in the evening-also an exception. Anything you would wear to a nice restaurant at home will be fine. Sandals for women in the evening are acceptable. Leave the sequins, spangles and tiaras at home! Please ask if you need more details.

Thanks for your response, and I am so happy I don't have to run out and buy sequins, spangles and tiaras!

I hope you plan to post a trip report. If not, would love to hear what your favorite things were, and especially if you did any shore excursions what you recommend.

We have much to learn and really appreciate this forum.

I haven't done Windstar Caribbean but on my transatlantic cruise I did use a sports jacket (perhaps a nice sweater for a lady) for evenings spent in the outdoor restaurants. Others who have done this itinerary might have a different view. Certainly, you do not need to "dress up".

In the evening I wore dress pants, a polo shirt, and dress shoes. No button up shirts, no tie, and definitely no jacket. My DGF wore pants and nice tops. We were the norm for the evenings. It was great to enjoy a nice dinner in comfortable clothes!

In the evening I wore dress pants, a polo shirt, and dress shoes. No button up shirts, no tie, and definitely no jacket. My DGF wore pants and nice tops. We were the norm for the evenings. It was great to enjoy a nice dinner in comfortable clothes!

Sounds great! Are nice capris for women okay for dinner or strictly long pants? We are getting very excited while gathering all the information for the cruise.

Sounds great! Are nice capris for women okay for dinner or strictly long pants? We are getting very excited while gathering all the information for the cruise.

...but I think they would work fine. We saw every thing from cocktail dresses (a little overdressed in my opinion) to very casual slacks/tops and simple cotton dresses. Footwear ran the gamut from sandals to flats to heels (perhaps 3-4 women).

My suggestion is to pack light with items that are casual (but smart) and travel well. It worked for us. Enjoy.

No one is taking note of what you are wearing, how many nights you wore "that" outfit, etc. This is not to mean people are sloppy, but tailored, casual is the theme here.

Men: My husband left his bespoke suiting at home (indeed Jeeves!) The casual dress of Windstar is even more casual in the tropics than in Europe (we've been both places on Windstar.) Unless you are married to your sport coat, leave it home on this cruise. You will rarely see a sport coat in the tropics, even at night in good restaurants. Nicely pressed "Hawaiian" type shirts, Lacoste type collared knit shirts are what you'll see in the dining room and at the deck barbeque in the evening.

Gals: nice capris with a fun, dressy top, low heels or sandals are fine for the evening in the Caribbean. Bring your funky costume jewelry and cubic zirconia look alikes. Leave your good stuff at home, no use in worrying about losing it. I try to find fun, interesting, yet wrinkle resistant, hand washable tops and bring the trusty knit wrinkle free travel slacks, skirts, gauchos or capris for the evening. T shirts or tank tops that you can roll up in your suitcase for daytime. A light sweater or pashmina wrap for evening to take the chill off, if you need it. If you swim, perhaps 2 swimming suits (so you can rinse one and let it dry in your shower stall.) One pair of dressier sandles or shoes for evening. One pair of sturdy, comfortable walking shoes or sandles for daytime.

Misc: We brought snorkel and fin sets of our own, but the boat has them to use as well. Boat also has robes/towels in each room, no need to haul that along.

Ship offered reasonably priced laundry service and we used it several times. Your stuff was back the next day.

• 1 month later...
No one is taking note of what you are wearing, how many nights you wore "that" outfit, etc. This is not to mean people are sloppy, but tailored, casual is the theme here.

Men: My husband left his bespoke suiting at home (indeed Jeeves!) The casual dress of Windstar is even more casual in the tropics than in Europe (we've been both places on Windstar.) Unless you are married to your sport coat, leave it home on this cruise. You will rarely see a sport coat in the tropics, even at night in good restaurants. Nicely pressed "Hawaiian" type shirts, Lacoste type collared knit shirts are what you'll see in the dining room and at the deck barbeque in the evening.

Gals: nice capris with a fun, dressy top, low heels or sandals are fine for the evening in the Caribbean. Bring your funky costume jewelry and cubic zirconia look alikes. Leave your good stuff at home, no use in worrying about losing it. I try to find fun, interesting, yet wrinkle resistant, hand washable tops and bring the trusty knit wrinkle free travel slacks, skirts, gauchos or capris for the evening. T shirts or tank tops that you can roll up in your suitcase for daytime. A light sweater or pashmina wrap for evening to take the chill off, if you need it. If you swim, perhaps 2 swimming suits (so you can rinse one and let it dry in your shower stall.) One pair of dressier sandles or shoes for evening. One pair of sturdy, comfortable walking shoes or sandles for daytime.

Misc: We brought snorkel and fin sets of our own, but the boat has them to use as well. Boat also has robes/towels in each room, no need to haul that along.

Ship offered reasonably priced laundry service and we used it several times. Your stuff was back the next day.

You mentioned bringing costume jewelry and leaving good jewelry at home, so I was wondering if there was an in-room safe. Should I be concerned about theft on the ship? Or in the ports (St. Kitts, Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, St. Barts)? I have read there is a theft problem in St. Martin where we will be spending 3 days post cruise.

You mentioned bringing costume jewelry and leaving good jewelry at home, so I was wondering if there was an in-room safe. Should I be concerned about theft on the ship? Or in the ports (St. Kitts, Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, St. Barts)? I have read there is a theft problem in St. Martin where we will be spending 3 days post cruise.

I always bring my good jewelry because what's if for if not wearing? There is a safe in the cabin that locks with a key, it's not a combination lock, so you have to haul that key everywhere. I would not be concerned about theft on the ship.

B_and_b,

I am on the same cruise. Here is what I planned. Two casual skirts with sleeveless tops, several pairs of white cropped pants and capris with shirts and sweaters that I can mix and match. A pair of white sandals and a pair of white comfy shoes that can also mix and match. I live in a sailing town and everything here is "nice" casual.

Hope this helps.

One week now........... I can't wait. So sick of the cold east coast winter this year.

Quick question to past cruisers. Is there an iron and ironing board in the room DW is a stickler on nicely pressed clothes, (I could care less but Im a guy after all).

No. I don't know of any cruiseline that has irons in the rooms; a big fire hazard. She can send her clothes out to be pressed.

Archived