How Common is missing a stop?June/July

lo05

Hi all I could really use some input from the experts...even one cruise under your belt is still more than me! I am considering planning a wedding cruise for 20-40 people, but don't want to neccessarily have to use the wedding coordinator affiliated with the ship (obviously, I want to get married off the ship probably in one of the USVIs). But I am scared that I would plan something and we would get re-routed or something due to weather, etc. I am trying for this summer. I have read about people using a local coordinator and saving lots of money with better results. How common is it that they do this (miss a port)? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

I'd turn your question around...what possibility of disruption can you accept? A ballpark likelihood of adverse weather forcing a cancellation is probably around the 1% level for a Caribbean June/July itinerary - are you prepared to take that risk?

Remember that if you do a land wedding package, you will have no legal recourse with the cruise line, and will probably have some difficulty getting your land side venue to take the risk either.

My take would be: do the wedding pre-cruise with an indoor/outdoor option then get on the ship once you're married.

But, it's your money & your show.

Good luck, whatever you do!

I would never plan a cruise with the intent to go to a specific port. Things happen all the time that cause ships to miss ports--mechanical problems and weather are the two biggies.

The week before our Alaskan cruise, our ship had to skip a port. Since it was the last night of the cruise, some folks were scheduled to get off there (Victoria) for a wedding and ended up very upset. Fortunately, they weren't the bride and groom.

Here's another thing: you're in hurricane season, and even though it's early in the season, there can be hurricanes and they change itineraries all the time for those things.

Do what the others are saying and don't pick a place and then hope for the best. Murphy's Law (if something bad can happen it will), always seems to strike with weddings, be it one at home or a destination wedding.

I would strongly suggest you post your question on the Cruise Weddings board. There are many folks there with a lot of great info. Some ports are far less likely to be missed than others, so many weddings are planned at those ports, and there are recourses available in the unlikely event you do miss it. Check it out, everyone seems very nice and helpful over there.

LeeAnne

Archived