HAL considering going totally non-smoking?

furf_n_slo

My dad is a person without one bit of willpower and he quit years ago. You have to want to do and clearly some don't. This thread is really something else however. I find it really insulting that unless you agree with some of the smokers on this thread you are an idiot that doesn't "get it". That's a great way to get people to sympathize with you :rolleyes:.

C'mon now...that was a bit harsh. I'm pretty sure no one has called anyone an idiot in this thread. In fact, it has been the most civil smoking thread I've ever read on these boards. When several people are quoting each other and the entire string can't be seen (as in emails), the context or comments can possibly be miscontrued. No need to turn this nasty at this point.

We all have our vices, our opinions, our weaknesses, our strengths. Congratulations to your dad! That is an enormous accomplishment and I know you are very proud of him.

The questions also include "Will you sail again with HAL" or something to that affect. So the surveys include the information on if people are being "lost" or "defecting" as some have said

Sorry, but if I remember correctly, the survey asked if you would continue to cruise HAL if the smoking policy became more restrictive, not if you would continue to cruise with HAL if they kept the same policy. So, no, the survey does nothing to show the numbers of people who would defect to another cruise line if HAL did NOT make their policy more in line with Celebrity. Based on this thread, it sounds like there are a lot of folks out there who are planning on doing just that...and therefore HAL really needs to look not only at how many people they will lose if they make their smoking policy more restrictive, but also how many they will lose if they don't.

So far we are sticking with HAL because we like the cruiseline, they have gradually added more smoking restrictions and we haven't seen/smelled much smoking on our recent cruises. We'll continue sailing HAL if HAL continues to increase smoking restrictions and decrease smoking locations and if we continue to see/smell very little smoking. HAL needs to ask how many won't continue to cruise HAL if smoking restrictions aren't increased. I'd like to see smoking restricted to one small indoor and one small outdoor area and not permitted in cabins and balconies.

HAL needs to ask how many won't continue to cruise HAL if smoking restrictions aren't increased. I'd like to see smoking restricted to one small indoor and one small outdoor area and not permitted in cabins and balconies.

Maybe non smokers should be writing that in on their surveys. I think I might do that next time. The most smoking I've had to deal with was on my 26 day cruise to South America in Nov.08. It was a b2b and a large group got on the ship for the second portion. This group took chain smoking to a new level. They were out at the aft pool from 9 am until the end of the day. It was difficult to find a seat there but you really didn't want to because the air was brutal. I hope to never see that again.

So far we are sticking with HAL because we like the cruiseline, they have gradually added more smoking restrictions and we haven't seen/smelled much smoking on our recent cruises. We'll continue sailing HAL if HAL continues to increase smoking restrictions and decrease smoking locations and if we continue to see/smell very little smoking. HAL needs to ask how many won't continue to cruise HAL if smoking restrictions aren't increased. I'd like to see smoking restricted to one small indoor and one small outdoor area and not permitted in cabins and balconies.

I agree with all that you wrote, and as lorekauf suggested, I wrote all of that on my survey on January 12.

Joan

UNREAL-

This thread reflects how the anti-smokers are continually throwing a monkey-wrench into any type of "live and let live" experience.

To them, I say.... ADIOS.... head off to Celebrity/Oceania

Been on Holland America for years and love it like us smokers????

Toughen up. You knew what you got yourself hooked on.

Personally.... we ADORE HAL. *puffing*

UNREAL-

This thread reflects how the anti-smokers are continually throwing a monkey-wrench into any type of "live and let live" experience.

ick...:eek:

Zappa Fan, wait, aren't you considering a cruise on Oceania????

They have one of the most restrictive smoking policies at SEA!

What really is your rant against non-smokers, anyway???

I have had a handful of HAL cruises with my "Valentine", Usha. I've also cruised on numerous other lines, Usha.

I enjoy smoking. I don't smoke often. Neither does my husband. On vacations we smoke ..... like chimneys.

I have a GREAT interest in Oceania. Their "PEARLS" itinerary trip my trigger. (I'd love to see HAL come up with the same type thing...if not, perhaps, I'll stray)

I find it presumptuous of you to question my "rant" :rolleyes: . I have been a long time SMOKER and HAL cruiser for years. That's the way I like it.

I'll bet I've got more days on HAL than you do, baby! :p (and bet I'm listened to)

I am not ready to say I will never cruise with HAL again, I like the line. But I am giving my "hope" a little time to work and see what policy changes may occur. So even though I have an FCC with HAL I booked Marina today for 3/11. A TA back to Barcelona.

I am not sure what the survey questions were, nor how I answered in the glow of a cruise but this is where we are today with the current policy.

It isn't up to me to comment on anyone's vices, goodness knows I have my own but I owe myself fresh air on vacation. I have never personally asked anyone to stop smoking to please me nor do I plan to, I just leave the room, or possibly the line.

I have had a handful of HAL cruises with my "Valentine", Usha. I've also cruised on numerous other lines, Usha.

I enjoy smoking. I don't smoke often. Neither does my husband. On vacations we smoke ..... like chimneys.

I have a GREAT interest in Oceania. Their "PEARLS" itinerary trip my trigger. (I'd love to see HAL come up with the same type thing...if not, perhaps, I'll stray)

I find it presumptuous of you to question my "rant" :rolleyes: . I have been a long time SMOKER and HAL cruiser for years. That's the way I like it.

I'll bet I've got more days on HAL than you do, baby! :p (and bet I'm listened to)

should you choose to accept it.

Is to find someone who cares

I'm sure you're "listened to".

I'm also pretty sure HAL is listening to those who don't have as many days on HAL (yet).:cool:

Sorry, but if I remember correctly, the survey asked if you would continue to cruise HAL if the smoking policy became more restrictive, not if you would continue to cruise with HAL if they kept the same policy. ................

The HAL smoking questionnaire:

Do you plan to cruise again with Holland America?

Yes No

Do you currently smoke?

Yes No

Would you cruise again with Holland America if smoking was prohibited in all staterooms? (including verandah balconies)

Yes No

Would you cruise again with Holland America if smoking was prohibited in all areas aboard their ships? (including staterooms)

Yes No

I think she meant anti. I feel the same way that she does.

I was referring to Kakalina's post about anti smokers.

On my cruise last June I did not receive anything to fill out about smoking. This May I'll make sure to find something to fill out about smoking. Maybe they find the smokers and don't want them to answer the questions. LOL

The HAL smoking questionnaire:

Do you plan to cruise again with Holland America?

Yes No

Do you currently smoke?

Yes No

Would you cruise again with Holland America if smoking was prohibited in all staterooms? (including verandah balconies)

Yes No

Would you cruise again with Holland America if smoking was prohibited in all areas aboard their ships? (including staterooms)

Yes No

So there ya go. Answer the questions to make your feelings known. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the questions are geared toward smokers, nonsmokers and those that don't care about smoking.

If you think the survey has been / will be a waste of time, simply don't fill it out. If you want to voice your opinion, fill it out. Per DBA's posts, the responses have caused more restrictions. If you want this trend to continue, then make your voice heard. On the other hand, if you want HAL to continue with their current policies, then let your voice be heard.

I'm sure HAL is reading and calculating the responses and making business decisions based on their findings. If things are changing or not changing to meet your desires, then keep filling out those forms so your voice will be heard and tallied.

I know that I will continue to fill these forms out and make my desires known.

UNREAL-

Perhaps you could explain how it is a "live and let live" experience to be subjected to life threatening second hand smoke. It is really a mystery to me. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could explain how it is a "live and let live" experience to be subjected to life threatening second hand smoke. It is really a mystery to me. :rolleyes:

it's not a mystery .. just an economic reality:mad:

the fact of life is, IMHO, that HAL doesn't intend to change its smoking policy in the near future, if at all ..

the surveys mean absolutely, positively nothing more than a PR gimmick to make it sound like someone cares to try to appease the 80% or more of non-smokers who are really getting fed up

after 3+ years of surveys and how many responses, what's changed?

no smoking in Ocean Bar :eek:

at that rate, maybe we'll eventually reach no smoking on verandas in another 3+ years

that's real progress, isn't it:rolleyes:

It's just the desire of some to hope this will happen. All they are doing is getting information regarding the attitude of their passengers. I wouldn't hold my breath that they will stop all smoking.:eek: I am sure that if they had a survey on whether to allow liquor to be sold on their ships there would be a vocal group who would like that banned as well. Then there's meat being served in the dining rooms! Watch out for all the PETA people.

I am sure that if they had a survey on whether to allow liquor to be sold on their ships there would be a vocal group who would like that banned as well.

unless I am mistaken again, the last time I consulted Grey's Anatomy there was no connection cancer and the second hand smell of alcohol on someone's breath:eek:

then again, I missed last month's edition of Popular Mechanics:D

The only thing I see that could make them move faster to no smoking on verandas if they find a great many smokers coming from more restrictive cruise lines to HAL and they start to lose more non-smokers than they gain smokers.

If HAL starts to have more rather than less smoke, a great many people will not tolerate that and will leave.

ROFL............ Grey's Anatamy is ALWAYS right! :D Love it.

Archived