Destiny, Century or Grandeur of the Seas...

cruisefan2009

The DW and I are planning to go on a wknd cruise for our anniversary. Trying to decide between the Carnival Destiny, Celebrity Century and RCL Grandeur of the Seas. Itineraries are identical (Key West and Cozumel), so it all comes down to the boat. We are both in our mid 30s and looking for a relaxing/romantic/fun weekend getaway. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

My SO and I are booked on the Destiny in May. If I had it to do over again, I'd look more closely at the Grandeur of the Seas. Not because I prefer RCCL - I loved my only Carnival cruise so far so they're even in my mind - I'm just worried about the Destiny's propulsion issues. I know SO will be disappointed if we don't make Cozumel, but we've decided to stick with our booking for the moment and see what happens.

I haven't been on Celebrity so I can't offer any advice there.

Good luck.

Just got off Grandeur and I would suggest you skip this ship. My 8th cruise with RCL and my only major disappointment. Ship smells badly of sewage in third floor corridors, beds dirty torture racks, and food in WJ was only so-so...captain told us it is headed to New Jersey for a new route, but it would be better off headed to dry dock for total overhaul.

With the known "propulsion problems" on the Destiny and Carnival's apparent lack of concern, I would not pick Destiny.

The ship is not safe. It cannot be safe with propulsion problems, what if there was bad weather or something happened to the one working propeller?

K

We've done "Century" time and time again, and of all the "non Carnival" ships, she's my absolute favorite. I agree that because of "Destiny" propulsion problems, I'd avoid her. CENTURY, without a doubt would be my choice!

"SKY"

The DW and I are planning to go on a wknd cruise for our anniversary. Trying to decide between the Carnival Destiny, Celebrity Century and RCL Grandeur of the Seas. Itineraries are identical (Key West and Cozumel), so it all comes down to the boat. We are both in our mid 30s and looking for a relaxing/romantic/fun weekend getaway. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. Destiny has continued to have propulsion problems and has been missing ports. This has been a sporadic problem for many months now, read the boards and you can see they are continuing as we speak.

2. Destiny crew when were on it 10/29/09 seemed tired, not very motivated, and seemed to lack supervision, service level was down compared to other Carnval cruises.

3. Destiny food in main dining room great, but the Lido buffet lines are a drag for breakfast and lunch.

4. Pool not well maintained, we got blue paint on us and tile needs to be redone

5. Entertainment some of the weakest we have experienced on a cruise ship.

6. Celebrity Century is an upscale experience, ship is beautiful, dining room food is excellent, Hemisphere Lounge at front of ship is great place.

7. Entertainment is always very good

8. Grandeur of the Seas is older and smaller than most Royal Caribbean ships and will not really show what the cruise line has to offer. But, it is a better experience than you will find on the Destiny.

Archived