sacred scenes of the vatican

LovesBeagles

I haven't taken it so my questions and thoughts are more general.

Daytime in the Vatican Museums will be crowded, almost no matter what. Very early in the morning entrance is limited to tour groups, so it's a little less so, but if you are expecting to have a clear run through the place you will likely be disappointed.

Cruise ship visitors to Rome are so limited in time - there is one way to see the Vatican Museums without a crowd, but it's a night, after they are closed to the public. These tours are expensive, but it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, in my opinion. We splurged on it as birthday presents to ourselves and are very happy that we did. After about six or eight prior visits to the Museums, it was a wonder to see things without a crowd, in near silence. Especially the Sistine Chapel.

I read the description on the Holland America site.

They give you transportation to Rome and THEN you have 3 hrs on your own to wander around, THEN they bring you to the Vatican.

I didn't see a price so cannot compare for you but if you get yourself to Rome then you can do the Vatican museums/St Peters easily on your own. IF you want you can book a time certain entry on the Vatican site and they have head sets you can use if you like. I usually prefer to walk through museums on my own and at my own pace. Of course it is up to you.

Thanks for your advice.

We have done the Vatican before so we are aware of the crowds. We were even lucky enough to stand in line in 104 degree heat:eek:.

This tour does areas that aren't part of the "normal" tour. Pricey yes at about $500 each.

It does give you 3 hours free time as you said. It looks like we will have to use some of that time to eat as I don't see that listed in the tour.

I was interested in it as it covers areas that we did not see before.

I wonder which parts of the Vatican Museums can only be seen with this tour.

I read through the description and cannot find much. Even the Sala degli Ori, which they call "off-limits", is part of the the Museo Gregoriano Etrusco, which is one of the the Vatican Museums, and at least was open for the general public a couple of years ago. Of course this might have changed.

The Sala del Pianto I am not certain about having seen or not.

I certainly have seen other mentioned parts like the Capella Niccolina, the Carriage Museum and the Pinacoteca. Maybe some of them are not part of the standard tour but they could nevertheless be seen when you visited on your own.

What parts are otherwise unavailable?

Archived