Decorating cabin doors?

So I am new to cruising. On RCI, are we permitted to decorate our cabin doors? It wouldn't be anything obscene or anything that sticks out into the hall and impedes traffic, of course, but if it's permitted I am planning to cover most of the door.

You can.

Nothing that will leave marks.

Not sure why people do it, but whatever floats your boat.

Hello,

For our trips I always bring a small white board (8 * 11) that has magnets on the back so I can put in on our door and leave messages for the whole family. This year we have 5 groups going so I got one for each family. I put our last names and the area that we are from and many times people will leave us notes on where they are from and such. I did find that at night you might want to bring it in as I was getting some messages that were not quite what I would want my kids to read.. Other then that it WORKED great for our families. And it was fun to leave and receive message from my family and others on board.

We do the same! Some of the messages that are left by passengers we don't know are quite hilarious! Fortunately we're all adults! One Christmas cruise I brought a wreath made of card stock with a banner made of chalkboard card stock. Every day we'd write something different in the banner with chalk. Our neighbors told us halfway through the cruise they couldn't wait to read what we wrote every morning when they came out of their cabin!

Edited by impatientlywaiting

So I am new to cruising. On RCI, are we permitted to decorate our cabin doors? It wouldn't be anything obscene or anything that sticks out into the hall and impedes traffic, of course, but if it's permitted I am planning to cover most of the door.

We also take big magnetic clips for inside our cabin (the walls are metal as well) to hang all the paperwork that accumulates during the cruise (I bring home the Cruise Compass to scrapbook after the cruise). There's very little desktop area and it's easier to keep the cabin clutter free if all the paperwork is on the wall!

I used two magnetic sticky back strips cut in 1 to 1-1/2 inch pieces for our Christmas door (be forewarned that the JS doors are wider and we had to piece the wrapping paper).

ChristmastimeCruise011_zps24c70e8f.jpg

And for the Alaska Cruise, I embroidered our banner (cabin door is embroidered in the middle of the compass) and we have it hung on 4 magnetic hooks (too heavy for 2 hooks).

DoorDecoration_zpsxavvp76i.jpg

We even had people knock on the door to tell us how much they liked it.

we used the vinyl type reuseable stickers from Amazon such as these ones : http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Ship-Porthole-Peel-Place/dp/B004833K9I/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1451854988&sr=1-1&keywords=porthole

We had 2 different porthole stickers and a few magnetic canadian flags.

Never had issues with RCI or DCL

dp

Edited by dpostman

• 1 year later...

Type in cruise ship door decorations into your search and you'll have lots of choices. I use the teachers putty bought at walmart. The first year my brother and his GF cruised with us, I decorated their door. They thought it was really cool that out of all of the cabin doors on our deck, the cruise line decorated both of ours. It was funny. Even just a little something put on your door makes it much easier to find your room.:)

I went to the craft section of a low budget department store and found some magnetic sheets that had a sticker backing. I cut out some pictures of my dog and made magnets of them. ( first time away from him- sappy I know). I thought I would put up a magnet of him outside my door to help remember which door was mine, but i have to say the doors were pretty classy and i didn't want to cheapen the look for others. And the room was fairly near the elevators so it wasn't hard to find, anyway. I did put up the magnets inside the cabin, around the mirror over the desk. Our cabin steward saw them and made us a towel dog and displayed him in various areas throughout the week. I thought it was fun. I even gave a magnet of him wearing a life vest to Marc and Hugo for their morning show shout out. They probably chucked it right afterwards, lol, but again I found it fun.

Do whatever makes you happy, and enjoy your cruise.

Yes you can decorate your door. I have been doing it for years.

quote=extradishes;22774789]So I am new to cruising. On RCI, are we permitted to decorate our cabin doors? It wouldn't be anything obscene or anything that sticks out into the hall and impedes traffic, of course, but if it's permitted I am planning to cover most of the door.

We find cool cruise/pirate quotes and print those out for the doors - use magnetic tape to attach them to the doors. We did a December cruise this past year - used garland around the door. Dollar Tree for everything!

For our next cruise (9/17) - we have a Crown Loft suite. Not decorating that door!

BTW - every time we decorate our doors, when we see other passengers in the halls, they tell us they like our decorations! Also - makes it easier to find their room!