Bilbao - what's there to visit?

Aidy2009

Bilbao is the home of the FABULOUS Guggenheim Museum designed by Frank Gehry. The building is a wonderful piece of contemporary architecture and it houses some of the largest "installation" art pieces you'll ever see. Well worth a visit! In fact, Bilbao has lots of wonderful architecture. If you're interested in architecture, check out:

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/spain/bilbao_buildings.htm.

For Brest, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brest,_France

Hi

thanks for the reply. I had seen about the Guggenheim however as a family with younger children this may not be appropriate. It looks like generally there are planty of good areas to roam around and take in the narrow streets, shops, cafes, etc.

How far out do the boats dock from the centre of Bilbao - have seen some comments around shuttle buses, so guess it is a few miles out?

cheers

I do believe the ships use shuttle buses although we did a private tour and had a private guide pick us up at the dock. Where the ship docks depends on the size of the ship, so can't help you out there. Sorry I can't be of more help, but as I remember things are not all that spread out in Bilbao.

In May/08 we were on HAL Prinsendam & we docked in the Port of Getxo ~15km from Bilbao. A free shuttle was provided by the Port to downtown Bilbao, about a 25-min drive. The shuttle terminated at Plaza Moyua & from there, it was an easy walk to the Guggenheim Museum. Of course, we were there on a Monday when the Museum was closed, but we still were able to enjoy the unique building as well as the installation art on the grounds. Behind the Museum is a lovely promenade along the Bilbao River that leads directly to Old Town. Here you can discover the treasures of Cathedral of Santiago, Iglesia San Nicholas, Gothic Church of San Anton & Arrianga Theatre. Not to mention tons of tapas bars offering unique Basque cuisine.

We were also scheduled to dock in Brest but we had to skip port because of a wildcat strike by French dockworkers. We ended up repositioning to St. Malo which we thought was a great alternative.

• 3 weeks later...

We spent 3 nights in Bilbao; the highlight is definitely the Gehry-designed Guggenheim. The artwork on the inside was a bit disappointing though the architecture and the layout was pretty neat (my sister is an architect).

Like MightQuinn, we spent a day exploring the Old Town area and noshing at a few places. Nice town, perfect for one full day of sightseeing.

• 1 year later...
I do believe the ships use shuttle buses although we did a private tour and had a private guide pick us up at the dock. Where the ship docks depends on the size of the ship' date=' so can't help you out there. Sorry I can't be of more help, but as I remember things are not all that spread out in Bilbao.[/quote']

Can you tell us which private tour you used? Thanks

• 2 years later...