Body found on cruise ship.....

ckrobyn

Unless you have evidence to support your conclusion, it seems both unfair and unseemly to post such speculation. It is more than "sad". It is tragic for everyone personally involved and a baseless claim such as this only adds to their pain.:rolleyes:

As a gay man I know what goes on on these cruises. Its a good chance there was alcohol and drugs involved. I'm just saying. I wasn't there but at a young age younger then me, something happened or he was sick and something just let go.

I too have lost a friend because of the partying of drugs in the gay world. Even though it could happen to any group of people. Look at the stars recently that have died at a young age. Some form of drugs have been involved. Its very sad and heartbreaking to lose anyone and my friend to this type of tragedy. I lost my friend to crystal meth. Please stay away from it!!!

And it disgust me reading what people said on that link.

I really think that the "Smith situation" was a unique one because it was so sensationalized. People die in hotel rooms and on cruise ships all the time--usually it just happens and it doesn't end up on Nancy Grace. But in our case, it was within a year of this happening, so it was still in the news, and for some reason when we booked the room--a balcony--BF had some weird hunch and googled the room and sure enough, it popped up! We talked about it, and I was more concerned with gawkers than actually being in the room. So he called RC and the agent actually laughed when he saw the cabin number and BF explained the situation. He said "oh, this happens quite a bit, I understand, we're happy to move you." So they don't publicize it, but they certainly were understanding and I think if they have another cabin open, they'll move you.

And sure enough, a nice old couple was in that cabin and people would knock on their door to ask to see it, and would take pictures and stuff. It was creepy and I felt bad for the couple because they didn't understand why people kept knocking on their door. People definitely came just to find the room and our steward said it happens every cruise.

But do we have a right to know and have it publicized? I don't think so. I think they accommodate concerns if they can, but I don't think they need to publicize these things. They don't at hotels and other places. I think it would just make a spectacle of it if it's just a standard death. Most likely, these days, if it's foul play, you'll find out.

You bring up some good points. I very well may have been in a hotel room where someone passed and never knew it and boy am I glad! I still wonder though, if someone passes due to foul play, should we be told? In many states, you must disclose this information if you are selling a home where someone has passed; especially due to foul play or suicide. I am not saying for sure we should be told; haven't really decided how I feel myself. Maybe for the point you brought up about gawkers would be a good reason enough to advise a potential customer about a cabin's history and let the customer decide for themselves if it bothers them. I wonder how bothered the couple was and how it impacted their vacation?

OK, this may be a bit of a morbid question but since it is a reality, I feel I must ask. Is there a way to find out what ships and cabins people may have passed away in? I know that they try to keep that information private and I understand why, but I am person who gets really freaked out about this kind of thing and would definitely NOT want to stay in a cabin where someone may have died or there was foul play in. Do we, as customers, have any right to know? I saw that Bluegirlum was able to switch out of the Smith's cabin; did they admit it to you and how receptive were they?

The situation is very sad and I am sorry for the family.

What are you going to do if you ever need to be hospitalized? Chances are someone will have died in your room and your bed.. that's just a part of life.

What are you going to do if you ever need to be hospitalized? Chances are someone will have died in your room and your bed.. that's just a part of life.

Yes, I know this and it doesn't thrill me LOL

I am actually more concerned with a death related to foul play inside the cabin. That's more what I was referring to.

Yes, I know this and it doesn't thrill me LOL

I am actually more concerned with a death related to foul play inside the cabin. That's more what I was referring to.

Think of it on a statistical basis- what are the odds, on a 3000 passenger ship that you will be on a ship where someone has met with foul play, and that room will be assigned to you :)- it is so rare- the only other one that comes to mind is the Smith case in several years.

Love the puppy.

As far as wanting to know if someone passed away in a room that i am destined to be in.......no; but thanks for giving me a new phobia...lol.... i already avoid buffet utensils, door handles, glasses in hotels/cabins, and just to be safe....cracks in the sidewalk;)

As a gay man I know what goes on on these cruises. Its a good chance there was alcohol and drugs involved. I'm just saying. I wasn't there but at a young age younger then me, something happened or he was sick and something just let go.

I too have lost a friend because of the partying of drugs in the gay world. Even though it could happen to any group of people. Look at the stars recently that have died at a young age. Some form of drugs have been involved. Its very sad and heartbreaking to lose anyone and my friend to this type of tragedy. I lost my friend to crystal meth. Please stay away from it!!!

So, based on a personal experience and a general idea of the kinds of things that may go on during "these cruises", you feel qualified to make this kind of assertion without even considering who might read your comments and how your statement might affect anyone who knew the person involved? There is a vast difference between acknowledging the role that drugs sometimes play in untimely deaths and concluding that because the passenger was on a gay charter it naturally follows that the cause of his or her death is attributable to drugs and couldn't be from natural causes is, IMHO, unconscionable. Truth is neither you nor I know, with any certainty whatsoever, the circumstances surrounding this event let alone the actual cause of death.

It seems to me that you, as a self-professed gay man, should be especially sensitive to this kind of knee-jerk reaction and the readiness of some to immediately jump to that conclusion and not contribute to this stereotypical explanation of the event.

As a gay man myself, I am appalled at your comments. Drug use goes on in an community, and for you to just assume this was the cause because it was a gay cruise, is disgusting.

As a gay man myself, I am appalled at your comments. Drug use goes on in an community, and for you to just assume this was the cause because it was a gay cruise, is disgusting.

I origianally replied because of an Elvis comment. That was referring to the reason Elvis died, Drugs.

I never said that it was because of a gay cruise that i the reason why. There is heavy partying and it wouldn't surprise me one bit that drugs might be involved especially with someone as YOUNG to be found dead. I assumed that this might have happened.

I'm not trying to be mean in anyway but i have seen and been offered all kinds of crap at these things. When you have someone that drugs you unknowingly like I was,then I can say what i want about these type of events.

And I said it could happen to any group of people.

Its sad that he died period.

Very Sad......I really feel sorry for his Friends and Family. I had heard there was a death on the last Cruise that Atlantis did on the Mariner back in Oct. down on the Mexican Riveria. These Boys are there to have Fun and Party, Maybe too much Fun!

Mike

Unless you have evidence to support your conclusion, it seems both unfair and unseemly to post such speculation. It is more than "sad". It is tragic for everyone personally involved and a baseless claim such as this only adds to their pain.:rolleyes:

Right On!!!!

Very Sad......I really feel sorry for his Friends and Family. I had heard there was a death on the last Cruise that Atlantis did on the Mariner back in Oct. down on the Mexican Riveria. These Boys are there to have Fun and Party, Maybe too much Fun!

Mike

Yup. and this guy was 40. again another sad story.

OK, this may be a bit of a morbid question but since it is a reality, I feel I must ask. Is there a way to find out what ships and cabins people may have passed away in? I know that they try to keep that information private and I understand why, but I am person who gets really freaked out about this kind of thing and would definitely NOT want to stay in a cabin where someone may have died or there was foul play in.

I think you can assume that any cruise ship that has been in service for longer than a few months has had at least one death on board. Do you wonder this about hotels? Do you wonder about houses you've owned or rented or been a guest in?

Death happens. The sheets have been changed in the meantime.

I have absolutely no idea why people think of death as so morbid. We'll all get there eventually. I only wish I could choose the type of death...in my sleep and peaceful after a nice day, no illness, no violence.

I have no qualms about being in a place where there was foul play, either. It happened and it's over, the chance of it happening again are almost nil.

I don't care to speculate about this persons demise, we'll find out the truth or some variation of it in the future. Why make up rumors now? This is exactly why the George Smith case was so over-sensationalized.

I assumed that this might have happened.

Confirmation of what happens when you "assume" anything. You can try to justify your remarks all you want but in the final analysis what you "assumed" is offensive to most of us, straights and gays alike.:rolleyes:

*rant on*

Why is it when someone dies the headlines read dead "BODY" found.

First, what about the rest of the person? Was the head decapitated and therefore the person was unidentifiable? This was a person, that someone knew and loved. Don't de-personalize it.

Second, dead body "FOUND" on a cruiseship. With the security of the ship, it's highly unlikely that the "BODY" was that of a person who should not have been on the ship in the first place. So shouldn't the headlines have read, "<Cruise ship passenger/Crew member> dies on cruise ship..." or something to that effect?

Media, please tell the true story. Stop with your embellishments and lies.

*rant off*

I think you can assume that any cruise ship that has been in service for longer than a few months has had at least one death on board. Do you wonder this about hotels? Do you wonder about houses you've owned or rented or been a guest in?

Death happens. The sheets have been changed in the meantime.

I am going to venture to say you did NOT read the rest of my posts. If you had, you would understand that I was referring to murder or suicide. Something gruesome, not something natural. That's all I am saying. Yes, I know we all die eventually. Sheets have been changed? Truly enlightening ;)

Terrible news.

My first wish is that his family find answers and peace as quickly and as deeply as possible.

And as awful as it sounds, my second wish is to know the stateroom number where he was found, because my wife will come unglued at the possibility of staying in that room when we board in a couple weeks.

Yes, bad news. My condolences to the family.

I think I would prefer not to know the stateroom (ignorous is bliss kind of thing). I will be on LOS in May and admittedly would have a problem if I 'knew" I was in the same room.

Why is it when someone dies the headlines read dead "BODY" found.

First, what about the rest of the person? Was the head decapitated and therefore the person was unidentifiable? This was a person, that someone knew and loved. Don't de-personalize it.

Actually it is a dead body.

The human body is the entire structure of a human organism, and consists of a head, neck, torso, two arms and two legs.

Yes, bad news. My condolences to the family.

I think I would prefer not to know the stateroom (ignorous is bliss kind of thing). I will be on LOS in May and admittedly would have a problem if I 'knew" I was in the same room.

We will be on the Liberty in March.....I would prefer not to know the stateroom # where he was found.

Archived