Disappointed in NCL

rs12065

Be thankful you were cancelled. I went with my family last Christmas on NCL and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on. I have been on over 25 cruises. They nickel and dime you to death- regular dining room food was awful-so you almost felt forced to go to the pay extra places. Free choice dining is a joke- free choice to pay extra for anything decent. Stick to Celebrity, Princess or Holland America.

They nickel and dime you no more or no less than the other mass-marketed lines. Food is very subjective, and what you think divine I may think for swine. The mass-marketed lines are really more alike than different. We cruise different lines because we cruise for the itinerary, and while they each have their own pluses and minuses, there are many more things the same that out number both of those.

Maybe they handled it poorly. Maybe not.

I only say this as things might have been in flux at HQ. Maybe the charter group said they were going, but then hesitated. Or the deposit check was delayed leaving NCL in an awkward position.

I used to book hotels for large meetings and the constant shuffle of proposed groups and paid for groups and deposited, but not fully committed groups can drive a manager bonkers!

I would bet NCL could have done better, but also wonder if there were things going on that NCL could not really deal with until they got a good answer and were ready to announce a FINAL situation.

and i think that's basically the jist of that.

Be thankful you were cancelled. I went with my family last Christmas on NCL and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on. I have been on over 25 cruises. They nickel and dime you to death- regular dining room food was awful-so you almost felt forced to go to the pay extra places. Free choice dining is a joke- free choice to pay extra for anything decent. Stick to Celebrity, Princess or Holland America.

i guess you couldn't help but stick to the topic of discussion.

this wasn't the question or the concern..You know could I ask why you bother to come on this forum just to blast away with no explanation. I have cruised all the mass marketed lines as well and would differ with you on the quality and the nickel and diming, but I don't go to the other threads and knock the line..If you are going to do this, give us examples. Of course you can be pretty sure, the way you are posting now, no one will take you seriously..

Nita

You come to this board just to tell us how terrible NCL is? Has it occured to you that most of us have sailed NCL (as well as others you mentioned) and are familiar with the product? :rolleyes:

He doesn't give us details or examples but wants others to listen to him..

Nita

you can pretty well figure him out, he has been a member for 8 years and posted only 37 times. It sounds like he only comes aboard when things are not what he thinks they should be.

Nita

Do you think that gives him less right to post than you, or others.:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by buttercor View Post

i guess you couldn't help but stick to the topic of discussion.

We should all be thankful that he won't be on our next cruise.

I don't think that the OP is being unreasonable in expecting NCL to notify him (or her) as soon as the charter has been contracted. Over and over again we see people on various CC boards finding out here that their cruise is canceled rather than having been informed directly and promptly by the cruise company.

The OP didn't whine about the fact that the cruise was canceled, just about the lack of notification. From my perspective, cruise lines are quick enough to fill your inbox and mailbox with a plethora of cruise offers, so they certainly know darned well how to contact people, and notice that your inbox and mailbox gets stuffed whether or not you booked through an agency. The reality is that it does not seem to be a priority for cruise lines to share this information promptly with customers, and that is a symptom of some bad customer service standards. (And in how many other cases have you read where someone learns on the boards that their cruise has been canceled, and then calls the cruise line only to be told -- in error -- that the cruise is still on, only to get the correct info days or weeks later.)

The OP has my sympathies. NCL didn't do a good job on this one, and there's no need to cheerlead and pretend they did.

Good points...

I had 2 cruises cancelled for other reasons (NOT by NCL but Carnival) and I, too, learned of it here on cruise critic first... it left me quite bitter towards CCL ...it was not just the disappointment over the missed cruise..BUT how it was done...with no official notification-...(1 cruise was booked with online TA and the other with CCL directly...and in both instances..I was the one to tell my TAs what was going on..!!!!)

I am sorry that you hated NCL, but I found my experience to be the complete opposite.

On the other hand I did not care for Carnival, but have never been inclined to post on their CC board. I find that type of behavior mean-spirited as I know a lot of folks on there feel about Carnival the way a lot of us do about NCL.

[quote=rs12065;22796523

The point being made, which was missed by responders so far, is that my first experience with NCL is not a good one, and gives one pause to consider doing business with them.

Isnt it great that somone/others, is/are so satisfied in NCL, that they booked the WHOLE ship?? THAT says something!!! it IS a nice ship!

just let that little rain fall, and let life go on, and start the fun planning all over again.. I LOVE TO PLAN A CRUISE!!!! :D

Completely different from my experience on the Pearl, or any other cruise on any line, for that matter.

I discount any post that says the food is awful or horrible. I simply don't believe it !!!!

You come to this board just to tell us how terrible NCL is? Has it occured to you that most of us have sailed NCL (as well as others you mentioned) and are familiar with the product? :rolleyes:

But, not everyone here has sailed NCL. I am planning my first NCL cruise, and so was the OP before it was canceled on them. I actually like being able to read from both those that have good things to say and those that have bad things to say, and then I can come up with my own opinions. Why would be post about a negative NCL experience on the Princess boards?

I think it is sad that people on these boards are berated for expressing dislike for NCL or for posting that they are disappointed in how something was handled.

I also believe that those who are fortunate to cruise often forget that not everyone has that luxury and changing plans may be more difficult for some than others. The more time to make the changes, the better.

Completely different from my experience on the Pearl, or any other cruise on any line, for that matter.

I discount any post that says the food is awful or horrible. I simply don't believe it !!!!

I second you on that swedish weave... NEVER on the cruises we have been on, could I say the food was aweful.

I can say I was dissapointed, on one cruise, just because the food wasnt of my taste. I evidently dont have the palate for the Mediteranian quesien. (sp) But the food wasnt BAD.

But, not everyone here has sailed NCL. I am planning my first NCL cruise, and so was the OP before it was canceled on them. I actually like being able to read from both those that have good things to say and those that have bad things to say, and then I can come up with my own opinions. Why would be post about a negative NCL experience on the Princess boards?

I agree that you want to hear the good and the bad, but I would hope you would most consider the comments and reviews that are more balanced.

When someone has absolutely nothing good to say about an entire cruise, ya really gotta wonder....how can an entire cruise suck???.....unless the ship sunk, of course. That would suck, a lot ;)

I think it is sad that people on these boards are berated for expressing dislike for NCL or for posting that they are disappointed in how something was handled.

I also believe that those who are fortunate to cruise often forget that not everyone has that luxury and changing plans may be more difficult for some than others. The more time to make the changes, the better.

Yeah, being disappointed is certainly expected, but the OP and everyone else new to cruising who reads these boards needs to be aware that this does happen on occasion and NOT just on NCL.

If changing plans is an issue, then travel insurance needs to be purchased.

You have to understand, if you are going to cruise that stuff can happen, aside from your cruise being pulled out from under you by a charter....Ports can be changed in a moments notice..mechanical issues happen, pandemics (that was new this year), weather..I could go on about the variables. If you want something that involves NO possible changes in your plans, then cruising is not the vacation for you.

The OP has plenty of time to make changes so that's not a good argument in this case.

This will be our first cruise with NCL and I do like to read the negative along with the positive. Yes, I know food, entertainment etc...is subjective but, it is good to hear about incidents which could happen.

This will be our first cruise with NCL and I do like to read the negative along with the positive. Yes, I know food, entertainment etc...is subjective but, it is good to hear about incidents which could happen.

And then be prepared for them. In this case, the lesson is to keep track of all the paperwork rather than give up on a cruise line.

I understand what you are saying and beleive it or not people do post about a bad experience on one brand at a different board, that being said: when someone comes on, has no intentions of sailing a particular cruiseline, flying a particular airline, eating at a particular restaurant again (whatever) it serves little purpose to just pop in and make a blanket statement with no explanation..the poster gains no credibility and loses a lot. This is different from the poster, who has posted many time before, is objective and really has had a less than positive experience..These posters make some sense..

Just think about it: someone says, I hated such and such and I am an experienced traveler, but gives no details? Would you take that person seriously and wouldn't you want an explanation. More important wouldn't you wonder why this person, who hated the product bothered to be reading comments about the product? That is another reason people get defensive when these jerks posts.

When I was a customer service manager for a large hotel call center several years ago we were told which complaints to take to heart and which to throw out. The person who tells you he/she would never use your product again and writes a 5 page letter will often get no response..The person who says, in so many words, I want you to tell me why, after my bad experience I should use you again? These letters are usually very short and have some positives thrown in. A good company will take these letters to heart and try and please.

Nita

[quote name=rs12065;22796523

The point being made' date=' which was missed by responders so far, is that my first experience with NCL is not a good one, and gives one pause to consider doing business with them.

Isnt it great that somone/others, is/are so satisfied in NCL, that they booked the WHOLE ship?? THAT says something!!! it IS a nice ship!

just let that little rain fall, and let life go on, and start the fun planning all over again.. I LOVE TO PLAN A CRUISE!!!! :D[/quote]

I for one understand, first impressions are often lasting. What is the saying? something like you only have one chance to make a first impression. That being said, I think, what some or us are trying to explain and maybe make you feel just a slight less negative toward NCL is, this happens with all lines from time to time..Maybe it won't help you feel better, but most of us are trying at least. I don't think anyone thinks you do not have a right to be dissappointed..

Nita

I understand what you are saying and beleive it or not people do post about a bad experience on one brand at a different board, that being said: when someone comes on, has no intentions of sailing a particular cruiseline, flying a particular airline, eating at a particular restaurant again (whatever) it serves little purpose to just pop in and make a blanket statement with no explanation..the poster gains no credibility and loses a lot. This is different from the poster, who has posted many time before, is objective and really has had a less than positive experience..These posters make some sense..

Very well said, Nita!!

Archived