Help please with pre-cruise stay in New york

fat lass

Hi

We are spending three nights in New York, pre-cruise. We are English and this is our first time in The Big Apple.

We would like to climb the statue of Liberty and see Ellis Island, but have read reviews saying how time consuming it is. We do not have a lot of time so would appreciate any tips of the quickest way to do it.

We would also like to see the Jersey Boys on Broadway. Any hints on the most cost effective way of booking tickets would be welcomed.

We are travelling early March.

Thank you and a belated Happy New Year!:confused::)

Hi

We are spending three nights in New York, pre-cruise. We are English and this is our first time in The Big Apple.

We would like to climb the statue of Liberty and see Ellis Island, but have read reviews saying how time consuming it is. We do not have a lot of time so would appreciate any tips of the quickest way to do it.

We would also like to see the Jersey Boys on Broadway. Any hints on the most cost effective way of booking tickets would be welcomed.

We are travelling early March.

Thank you and a belated Happy New Year!:confused::)

I live in NYC and I will tell you that seeing the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is great, but yes, it is time consuming. You will do it the same day....... the ferry goes to both places..... but plan for it to take much of the day. However, if you are doing this on a week day it will be better because the weekends are when there are crowds.

As far as Broadway, the cheapest way to get tickets is to go to the TKTS and hope to score cheap tickets. If you don't want to take a chance, then I would just deal with Ticketmaster, but it is expensive and their fees are ridiculous. It just depends on how badly you want to see this particular play. Me? I would try to get a ticket at TKTS.

Enjoy NYC!

See below:

TDF operates three TKTS Discount Booths in New York City

1. The Times Square Booth sells day-of-performance tickets only.

2. The South Street Seaport Booth sells tickets to evening performances on the day of the performance, and matinee tickets the day before.

3. The Downtown Brooklyn Booth sells tickets to evening performances on the day of the performance, and matinee tickets the day before as well tickets to Brooklyn performing arts events.

TKTS Times Square, TKTS Seaport and TKTS Downtown Brooklyn accept credit cards, cash, travelers checks or TKTS Gift Certificates.

All locations sell tickets at 50%, 40%, 30% and 20% off full-price (plus a $4.00 per ticket service charge, which helps support other TDF services and programs). Availability and ticket inventory change throughout the day and at the discretion of individual productions.

Think about how badly you want to see the Statue and Ellis Island. It's a bit like my saying I'm going to London and want to see the Tower of London. I have to get from Heathrow into central London, get to the Tower, buy a ticket, wait for a guide, and then take a guided tour that takes about three hours. In the case of NYC, though, you have a long wait for the ferry to the Statue, a long wait to ascend the Statue, a wait for the ferry again to go to Ellis Island, and then back to Manhattan and to wherever you're staying. . . just allow the whole day to do this. Is it worth it? Absolutely!

Alternatively, you might want to consider going into Manhattan and going to the top of 30 Rock; great views of the entire island, and a gift shop where you can buy souveniers of all the TV shows that people here watch. There's lots to see in Manhattan, lots of local color and shopping. There are museums and there's lovely Central Park. I'd consider that, too.

Great advice, thank you.

As we only have two days/three nights, I regret to say that we will have to give the Statue a miss, as we want to cram in as much as possible.

I have decided to pre-book the theatre tickets, as this is something we very much want to do and do not want to miss out on it, even though it is expensive.

Our cruise departs from Bayonne. Will we be able to get a good view of the Statue from our ship, Miraklwkr?

Many thanks to you both. It was very kind of you to reply.:):):):):)

If you are going to the SOL and Ellis Island, prepurchase your tickets NOW for the earliest available time. http://www.statuecruises.com/ You will have to choose among various levels of access to the SOL. With the time change, you will be up early anyway. Take the #6 subway from 51st and Lexington near your hotel and change across the platform at Grand Central for the #4 or #5 train to Bowling Green and walk through Battery Park to the ferry dock. Allow plenty of time for the security check at the SOL - don't take a lot of junk with you. The subway ride downtown should take no more than 1/2 hour.

We did 2 days pre-cruise before our New England/Canada cruise and we saw and did everything on our bucket list (except Grand Central Station and the Broadway show).

I pre-purchased a Gray Line 48 hour Hop On/Hop off pass and used the bus as our transportation around New York. We stayed at The Edison Hotel (right in Times Square) and the ticket office was just about two blocks from the hotel. Caught the bus early (9:00 I think) and went to Battery Park. When we were there in '06, tickets were sold in the Battery Fort. We went to Liberty Island (but the Statue was closed, no entry) but walked around and took photos and saw the Lady close up. Maybe we were there 30 minutes. Back on the boat to Ellis Island. Walked around, took photos, had lunch, back on the boat. Maybe 3 hours total. Then back to Battery Park and caught the bus for the rest of the loop. We didn't climb to the top of the Empire State Building, but got good photos. We walked Times Square (Radio Music Hall, Cathedral, Tiffany's, etc.) then back on the bus to K-Mart (had to do some shopping) and found Lindy's (famous for their cheesecake) for dinner. Rode a pedi-cab back to the hotel at about 10:00 pm. We had a blast in our short time in NYC.

It's good that you pre-booked the play, we didn't, and were disappointed that TKTS line was about 300 people, they didn't have tickets we wanted.

The second day, we used the pass to get to Central Park and see The Tavern on The Green and took a carriage ride for 30 minutes in the Park. You see other sites on the way (Kennedy apartment, Lennon apartment, etc.)

We are 63 and 79, so two old decrepit ladies hustling around NYC, so don't think you can't see and do most of the important sites in your time there, with pre-planning it is possible to do the town.

Have a great trip!

Archived