American dollars

debut

Some may (take dollars), some may not. I think you'll find that, apart from drug dealers, despotic dictators, and less-developed economies with unstable currencies, $USD isn't as universally accepted as it was a few years ago.

Greek Isles--bring Euros :)

When this question is asked we are tempted to ask another question. Do you think a European visitor to your home town should use Euros? For some reason many of our fellow Americans still think that the US dollar is an international currency loved and cherished by other countries. The reality is that in the European Union they now have a very nice currency (The Euro) which is easy to use and accepted everywhere. Master Card and Visa are also pretty widely accepted although the failure of the US issueing banks to use "smart cards" is beginning to cause some hassles in Europe where their technology is more advanced than in the USA (it seems unamerican to say this, but it's true). If you want to use US dollars in the EU you will find that many shops and restaurants will accept the currency, but they will generally give you a lousy rate of exchange. ATMs are very common throughout Europe and it is the easiest way to get Euros. However, you should notify your bank of your itinerary (this avoids security problems) and have a 4 digit PIN number that you know in numbers (there are usually no letters on European ATMs).

Hank

When this question is asked we are tempted to ask another question. Do you think a European visitor to your home town should use Euros? For some reason many of our fellow Americans still think that the US dollar is an international currency loved and cherished by other countries. The reality is that in the European Union they now have a very nice currency (The Euro) which is easy to use and accepted everywhere. Master Card and Visa are also pretty widely accepted although the failure of the US issueing banks to use "smart cards" is beginning to cause some hassles in Europe where their technology is more advanced than in the USA (it seems unamerican to say this, but it's true). If you want to use US dollars in the EU you will find that many shops and restaurants will accept the currency, but they will generally give you a lousy rate of exchange. ATMs are very common throughout Europe and it is the easiest way to get Euros. However, you should notify your bank of your itinerary (this avoids security problems) and have a 4 digit PIN number that you know in numbers (there are usually no letters on European ATMs). Hank

Excellent summary and points by Hank. If, and only IF, they take dollars, then you really need to worry about the conversion rate, etc. If you're going to have more than one stop in the Greek Isles and/or other main Europe countries, you will need to have euros with you. Even if you have some extra euros left at the end of your trip, it's not like you'll never get back to those many countries taking that currency for future trips.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 2 weeks later...

In Euroland, nobody is interested in your dollars. Taxidrivers and tour companies will rip you off, as they rather have the "hard Euro" than the slipping Dollar. Only in overpriced shops "recommended by the cruise shopping advisor" they might accept them. For "the simple things in life" that makes a trip memorable, like that busride, that nice local delicacy in a small bakery shop, that old lady selling her homemade handicrafts, or that real Greek coffee on a local terrace away from the tourist trap, bring Euros!

On our last cruise through the Med we had fellow travellers who tried to pay for a public toilet with a large $ bill, and started ranting what a backward country it was that they did not want to take it. If you want all the locals and most of the cruise passengers to laugh at you, by all means behave in such a way. I don't think I could count on a lot of understanding if I would try this in the US with Euros.

• 2 weeks later...

I always avoid taking a lot of euros with me. I find that usually you can get much better exchange rates there at any bank or currency exchange place (downtown Athens is filled with them.) Just check a few places first to find the best rate. I would suggest that you get only a small amount of euros from the States for the first expenses. VISA and MASTERCARD were also widely accepted, while my AMEX was not so popular.

I always avoid taking a lot of euros with me. I find that usually you can get much better exchange rates there at any bank or currency exchange place (downtown Athens is filled with them.) Just check a few places first to find the best rate. I would suggest that you get only a small amount of euros from the States for the first expenses. VISA and MASTERCARD were also widely accepted, while my AMEX was not so popular.

Don't know when the last time you were there BUT we found the Exchange kiosks to be THE WORST as far as conversion rates. A true rip off ! And the ones near the more popular sites are the worst. While on a layover in Paris airport on our first trip we thought we would be smart and exchange some $$ using the American Express exchange kiosk. Holy smoke - worst decision. We even have a gold and platinum card and still the conversion rate was awful.....as we discovered later :o

ATMs are definately the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived