Shopping in European Ports

yorkiemomjn

We are taking a cruise in April 2010 (Our first Oceania cruise & our first Mediterranean) and I would love to have some suggestions for nice souvenirs/gifts or shops at the following ports: Portofino, Lucca (going to Lucca instead of Florence because we have been there before, Amalfi/Positano, Sorrento/Capri

I appreciate any input. Thanks and happy cruising!

Judy

We are taking a cruise in April 2010 (Our first Oceania cruise & our first Mediterranean) and I would love to have some suggestions for nice souvenirs/gifts or shops at the following ports: Portofino, Lucca (going to Lucca instead of Florence because we have been there before, Amalfi/Positano, Sorrento/Capri I appreciate any input. Thanks and happy cruising! Judy

When you see "IT", you'll know "IT"!!! Lots and lots of great items in these various ports. In Capri, we got some various, very nice painted white pottery items, including some small picture frames, etc. They look great and provide a nice story/connection for what you bought and where. Capri is super wonderful!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Amalfi/Sorrento area: the ceramics there are to die for !!! I came home with a wonderful little pitcher with a rooster head. There is an old story about the rooster and he is on many items you see there because of it. I will not spoil it for you, but when you see one, ask the shop keeper of the story ;)

Also purchased a 9 tile set with a scene of Amalfi painted on it. For bil/sil Christmas present (expensive tho - $300+) and I had to purchase a small carryon bag in Florence to get it home in :eek:

LEMONCELLO !!!!! yum. Purchased some in Amalfi my first trip, Naples my second trip. Wish I had some right now !!!!

As posted on another thread of yours..... I also came home with wonderful prints of the various villages we visited.

A lot of things to shop...

Sorrento: buy a good bottle of the original limoncello...it's the best... and you'll find some good souvenirs limoncello based...

Amalfi: great ceramics...for sure..

Of course you'll find hundreds of great things.... quite expensive expecially in Capri but it's worth ..

Regarding the limoncello, insist on tasting some before you buy; there is a lot of variation.

The first time I had limoncello, on Capri, I thought it was awful and assumed I just didn't like it. Several years later someone in a bar in the Cilento gave me some and I loved it, it was very different from the first version I had.

Regarding the limoncello, insist on tasting some before you buy; there is a lot of variation.

The first time I had limoncello, on Capri, I thought it was awful and assumed I just didn't like it. Several years later someone in a bar in the Cilento gave me some and I loved it, it was very different from the first version I had.

Great suggestion! Thanks!:)

Archived