Anyone taking any great books to read on a cruise?

tuggers

gkm: I am thinking of getting a kindle too for the next cruise to save space...how do you like yours? Did you get the kindle 1 or kindle 2?

Both my DH and I have Kindle 2s. We have one Amazon account and can share books, which is nice since we read the same things. I don't know why I waited so long to get one. I just love it. Late at night when I'm reading and the print seems to get smaller, I can increase the font size for my tired eyes. I have also found that Amazon usually has free books on their list that I like, so except for when one of my favorite authors publishes a new one, I read the freebies. I've found some really nice new authors this way!

Garry

if you can handle really crazy tales of debauchery, "the dirt" (autobiography of motley crue) was a surprisingly good read. i devoured it in the first 3 days of our last cruise. other good ones: "dirty job" by christopher moore (very very funny), and "eat, pray, love" by elizabeth gilbert. right now i'm loving "the omnivore's dilemma", but not sure i'd want to read it on a cruise because it would ruin my enjoyment of my meals...

Love Christopher Moore! I have a Kindle and have about 120 books in it ranging from Austen to bodice reapers. I usually prefer travel essays of places I'm going to but lately have been into Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad--written in the 1800s about his trip to the Continent but soooo funny.

I've got about 120 books loaded on my Kindle 1, so I'm very ready for a week on the ship!

I'm reading Frederick Forsythe at the moment ("Dogs of War"), but have classics from Dickens, Conan Doyle & Dostoevsky to more "modern" authors like Clive Cussler, Stephen King, Michael Chrichton, Cornwell, & Clancy..

Has anyone who owns a Kindle read "UR" from Stephen King, yet? If you're not familiar, it's a Kindle only book... I've got it, but haven't yet read it...

DH and I have had Kindle 1's for 2 years; we take 30 day cruises on average and read about 1 book each per day---love, love, love our Kindles. BTW its a great way to make new friends--wish I got a cut from my Kindle demos. DS has a Kindle 2 and that one will even read to you (text to voice) which is nice for long dark overnite flights.

I'm awaiting my nook ereader from Barnes & Noble, and I'm anxious to load it up for my 4/19/10 TA on the Equinox.

I thank you for this thread, and I look forward to researching all of your suggestions on the B&N site for ebooks.

Mark

Mark.

I'm also on the 4/19/10 Equinox. I've had my Nook since the end of December. I have been borrowing ebooks from the library. you check them for 21 days and then the just expire, it's a great way to save some money.

Ron

With the ships libraries getting slimmer and slimmer I find it necessary to take my reading material with me. I'm a fan of mysteries but all my favorite authors seem to be dying. In the last several months we've lost Robert Parker, Stuart Kominsky, Michael Crichton to name a few.

Anyone have any suggestions for other authors or books you've enjoyed?

my absolute favourite are the Mallory books by Carol O'Connell; if you haven't found her yet, skip to the bookstore immediately! I also love John Connelly (and Michael Connolly), the Scarpetta books by Cornwall, and the Sue Grafton books...

Used to enjoy Stuart Woods (Stone Barrington) books for a mindless in between read - the latest one "Hothouse Orchid" was just plain dumb and predictable. Think I'll skip him from here on. Read a really good book called "The Help" and have been recommending it to friends.

Mark.

I'm also on the 4/19/10 Equinox. I've had my Nook since the end of December. I have been borrowing ebooks from the library. you check them for 21 days and then the just expire, it's a great way to save some money.

Ron

Hi Ron,

My nook is supposed to ship Feb 1, and I'm trying very hard to be patient. I also want to look into borrowing ebooks from our local library, as well as buying some from B&N - I love biographies (history, political, entertainment).

Mark

Ps When onboard, I'll look for other nook owners - wonder about the numbers (by April) compared to Kindle and Sony.

I am a fairly prolific reader, about 40,000, pages per year, but I still read the old fashioned way with regular books. Ergo, I would be most interested in the definition of an nook ereader.

If no one has yet answered your question, "nook" is the Barnes & Noble equivalent of the Kindle. I prefer it for various reasons - removable battery, addable memory, color touch screen, WiFi plus 3G, more compatability with more ebook formats - basically better looking in my eyes. But my cruise buddy Matt (also on our cruise, valeriesm's hubby) absolutely loves his Kindle2. I can't wait to compare them side-by-side to see if I made the right decision - and then there was Apple's iPad (as if the name "nook ereader" isn't provocative enough LOL)

Mark

I recommend "The Journeyer" an elaborate tale of Marco Polo's adventures by Gary Jennings.

If you have an unlimited drinking card, you might like "Moveable Feast" by Hemingway...., or "The Sun Also Rises"... (my second post, and first attempt at humor.)

I love my kindle as well. Here are some of my favorite reads over the last couple of months.

The Devil's Punchbowl - Greg Isles

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Annie Barrows

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Henry's Sisters - Cathy Lamb

Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay

Still Alice - Lisa Genova

The Sweet By and By - Todd Johbson

Testimony, A Novel - Anita Shreve

Whistling in the Dark - Lesley Kagen

Just started "A Friend of the Family" by Lauren Grodstein, really hard to put down. Hope this helps. We are leaving next month on the Solstice and I have downloaded about ten new books. Can't wait to set and veg, read and have a cold drink in my hand sitting in a lounge chair where it is not snowing.

Here's another vote for Kindle 2. DH and I love ours. Took them on our cruise earlier this month and they attract a lot of attention!!

Best two books I've read recently:

Water for Elephants

The Help

I also fell into the Twilight series by just picking up my daughter's copy because it was sitting there. Not my normal genre, but I really enjoyed them. I even got my mother to read it by not telling her anything about it, just told her to start reading. If I had mentioned vampires and werewolves she wouldn't have touched it!!! She ended up reading all four and enjoyed them, too.

question for those who own Kindles - if you are reading a book, can you switch over to read another book that you have downloaded? or do you read one book at a time? sorry, may sound strange but I have no clue at all re: Kindles - I want one but am confused with the original Kindle, Kindle 2 - Nook, etc etc.

What I am looking for is the font size - lately I have to purchase BIG PRINT books that cost about $20 or more each - but seems like I would be saving $$ and 'room' by purchasing a Kindle cuz of the font feature.

thank you.....carol

question for those who own Kindles - if you are reading a book, can you switch over to read another book that you have downloaded? or do you read one book at a time? sorry, may sound strange but I have no clue at all re: Kindles - I want one but am confused with the original Kindle, Kindle 2 - Nook, etc etc.

What I am looking for is the font size - lately I have to purchase BIG PRINT books that cost about $20 or more each - but seems like I would be saving $$ and 'room' by purchasing a Kindle cuz of the font feature.

thank you.....carol

Yes, I think I'm concurrently reading about 20+ books at the moment. When one gets uninteresting, I just switch to another book and it just picks up where I left off last time.

thank you.....carol

Kindle is the original and is no longer in production but can be purchased second hand. Kindle 2 is the current model and it can be purchased at Amazon.com as it is exclusively an Amazon product. Nook is Barnes and Noble's entry into the e-reader race. They can be researched at the respective websites. I believe there are other e-readers out there.

I have had a Kindle for 15 months and I love it. If you are an avid reader I highly recommend finding the e-reader that is right for you and making the purchase that is right for you.

Love reading everyone's suggestions! My favorite part of packing is selecting my books for the cruise. For those of you that prefer "books" check out the web site paperbackswap.com. Great site to post and trade books!!

Here are some of my favorite books:

Loved the Twilight series (my senior mom and adult girls loved the series too)

The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

The Island by Victoria Hislop

Moloka'I by Alan Brennert

South of Broad by Frank Conway

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

Also to get you in the cruising mood:

Cruise Confidential by Brian Bruns (details what it is like to work for Carnival Cruise Lines)

A Deadly Silver Sea by Bob Morris

Jamaica Me Dead by Bob Morris

Keep the titles coming!!

I leave next week on a 12 day out of Baltimore.....we have 3 sea days going and 3 days coming back from the Caribbean. I am taking a book my kids gave me for Christmas, which I just started, "Under the Dome" by Stephen King, it is about 4 inches thick, so far it is great and I look forward to finding some quiet space and curl up with it.

Loved "Under the Dome"

I LOVE TO READ...

some of my favorites:

Jodi Picoult´s books (best of the bunch- My Sister´s Keeper , Nineteen Minutes , Plain Truth..)

The Stand by Stephen King ( I love all his older books-the Dead Zone , It..haven´t loved his most recent , will try his newest one.)

I enjoy the Dan Brown books-the new Lost Symbol is good.

I like the Kay Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell and Karin Slaughter´s books...both more of "CSI" /murder genre .Very well written.

James Patterson is o.k , but a bit lightweight. Not really great writing , IMHO. I liked his older Alex Cross books best.

Endurance (about Ernest Shackleton´s adventure) is an amazing read. I read it for my upcoming Antarctica trip , but would recommend it for all.

I love Sue Miller´s books.

All time favorite-"Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy.....exquisite writing style , love all his books.

I could go on and on. Hope someone got some ideas.

Kim

Pat Conroy's newest "South of Broad" was excellent

Kindle is the original and is no longer in production but can be purchased second hand. Kindle 2 is the current model and it can be purchased at Amazon.com as it is exclusively an Amazon product. Nook is Barnes and Noble's entry into the e-reader race. They can be researched at the respective websites. I believe there are other e-readers out there.

I have had a Kindle for 15 months and I love it. If you are an avid reader I highly recommend finding the e-reader that is right for you and making the purchase that is right for you.

Thank You very much - I know it's expensive but right now I pay more than $20 for my Big Print books so I'll save lots of $$ by downloading -I know it's not $20 to download- appreciate your answering my question and also to Lives-to-travel-er.... carol

Not sure about great reads, however, I just go to a local Goodwil store and pick up a few books(mainly paperbacks)that I leave behind as I finish them. This is a good way to add a few titles to the generally small selection on board.

Archived