Anyone taking any great books to read on a cruise?

tuggers

With the ships libraries getting slimmer and slimmer I find it necessary to take my reading material with me. I'm a fan of mysteries but all my favorite authors seem to be dying. In the last several months we've lost Robert Parker, Stuart Kominsky, Michael Crichton to name a few.

Anyone have any suggestions for other authors or books you've enjoyed?

On my last cruise several folks were reading Janet Evanovich(Stehanie Plum series). I just got one out of the library and it was an easy quick read. Looks like this author has written quite a few books in the series and will give others a try until I tire of the character.

On my last cruise several folks were reading Janet Evanovich(Stehanie Plum series). I just got one out of the library and it was an easy quick read. Looks like this author has written quite a few books in the series and will give others a try until I tire of the character.

I love the Stephanie P series - I thought after reading books one to five - I would get tired of her, but I have all 15 right now - I read them alternately when I want something easy and light. carol

I just heard about a new mystery author today that I think I'll try: Tom Lowe. His character is a retired cop who prefers the company of his Dachshund Max to most people. I'm going to try to get one before my cruise.

Has anyone else read Charlain (not sure of spelling) Harris. She write about a southern belle who lives in the family home with a ghost. Kind of fun!

I just love the weird, funny ones:

Carl Hiaasen

Janet Evonovich

Tom Corcoran

Bob Morris

And if you're a pet lover try Blaize Clements books about a former Sheriffs deputy who is a pet sitter. I think she has four books. They are light reading at its best!

Just got off Constellation. Excellent library (all things considered). They even had the latest Dan Brown book which, imho, was a waste of time. The moral at the end was to read your Bible. But I loved the DaVinci Code, so thought this one would be comparable. Personal opinion only. ;)

I was in Costco today (btw is it possible to go there and not spend $100???) and I found the new Tim Dorsey book Gators A Go-Go. Had to have it but I'm going to save it for my cruise.

If you like strange this is good. Main character is Serge, a serial killer who only kills people who need to be killed and does it in ingenious ways. Serge also has a passion for Florida history and trivia. I love these books!

If you like a Dan Brown style read, try:

James Rollins

Steve Berry

Both are quick reads that hook you from the beginning - and they have short chapters, so if you're one of those folks (like I am) that has to end at a chapter...it's perfect for vacation.

With the ships libraries getting slimmer and slimmer I find it necessary to take my reading material with me. I'm a fan of mysteries but all my favorite authors seem to be dying. In the last several months we've lost Robert Parker, Stuart Kominsky, Michael Crichton to name a few.

Anyone have any suggestions for other authors or books you've enjoyed?

I am addicted to any Alex Delaware novel by Jonathan Kellerman.

When The Bough Breaks (1985) (Edgar Award, Best First Novel, 1986)

Blood Test (1986)

Over The Edge (1987)

Silent Partner (1989)

Time Bomb (1990)

Private Eyes (1992)

Devil's Waltz (1993)

Bad Love (1994)

Self-Defense (1995)

The Web (1996)

The Clinic (1997)

Survival Of The Fittest (1997)

Monster (1999)

Dr. Death (2000)

Flesh and Blood (2001)

The Murder Book (2002)

A Cold Heart (2003)

Therapy (2004)

Rage (2005)

Gone (2006)

Obsession (2007)

Compulsion (March 2008)

Bones (October 2008)

Evidence (October 2009)

A couple od the above are not "Delaware" Books

I hope the list helps

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I too am a Kellerman fan. I just can't seem to get into his wife's books though. I've read one of their sons (jesse) books. Could take it or leave it.

Has anyone read the Cathy Pickens books? They are quick, fun reads but she talks so much about southern cooking and eating that I end up hungry! Yes, I'm serious.:)

Well, not a mystery...and not even fiction, but for those going on a mediteranean cruise thi summer, I could reccomend no book higher than "The Middle Sea" by John Julius Norwich. It's an amazingly readable, clear and often funny history of ALL the civilizations that have developed along the Mediteranian from the phoenecians to wold war II. Great fun to read, and just the perfect companion for voyaging in that part of the world.

Well, not a mystery...and not even fiction, but for those going on a mediteranean cruise thi summer, I could reccomend no book higher than "The Middle Sea" by John Julius Norwich. It's an amazingly readable, clear and often funny history of ALL the civilizations that have developed along the Mediteranian from the phoenecians to wold war II. Great fun to read, and just the perfect companion for voyaging in that part of the world.

I have to check this one out. I read his Byzantium and Venice years ago.

I am thinking the new Pirate book by Michael Crichton might be a good Caribbean cruise book. But its one of those "we found the manuscripts after he died" books, so I am a little skeptical. Can anyone recommend it?

Archived