Serenade 1/16-1/23

Thank you for taking the time to post your reivew. We'll be on the Serenade for the first time Easter week. I'm reading the comments about hiking sandals carefully, since I also have Levi Baron's tour booked for Dominica.

(Two of our last three Easters in the Cleveland area have been marred by significant snowfall. If it happens this year, I'll read about it from the Caribbean!)

Thank you for taking the time to post your reivew. We'll be on the Serenade for the first time Easter week. I'm reading the comments about hiking sandals carefully, since I also have Levi Baron's tour booked for Dominica.

(Two of our last three Easters in the Cleveland area have been marred by significant snowfall. If it happens this year, I'll read about it from the Caribbean!)

Where in the Cleveland area are you? We're Cleveland Heights, and I know all about those Easter snows!

Are your Teva's closed toe? I know that's what Levi recommends. The ones I wore on that hike were not, and I did okay, bought a pair of Keen closed-toe hiking sandals that I wore for a 7-Sisters Falls Hike in Grenada this year, and they were definitely better.

Have a good time with your daughter!

They are indeed. I purchased them specifically for this Dominica hike, but have found them GREAT for kayaking. I used mine a lot this past summer.

Thanks again!!

Teva.jpg.243e3e4601eced1121a977286b8ce85c.jpg

I'm sure you'll be fine on Levi's tour - the issue with the person who got hurt was probably 1) her shoes - if you have decent hiking shoes or sandals, it's a much better idea than athletic shoes, and 2) she was trying (successfully) to protect her DSLR when she went down.

We've been to Leinster Bay, snorkeled Waterlemon Cay. Yes, it's a great area. However it's pretty remote and isolated. We didn't rent a car, asked the cab to come back for us. He said no need, just walk back to the road (and you know that's a fairly significant walk lugging gear), they come by all the time. Wrong. We ended up having to hitchhike, got a ride to Maho and caught a cab there. It's the only time I've ever been worried about not getting back to our ship on time. If you're going to Leinster, best to rent a car.

Thank you SO much for all the great information. It sounds like you enjoy doing all the same things we like to do! I am so looking forward to doing a b2b also. Now I'm going to be driving the dh crazy with all of this information.:D

Not to beat a dead horse here but, is it slippery, is that the issue? I have north face waterproof hiking shoes that I bought for Alaska, so I am assuming that would be fine. Could you just give me a bit more detail on the hike as it relates to strenuous etc? I would so love to do this hike and, as I did for Alaska, work on getting in shape, but concerned about that possibility of dh falling. He's been awfully clumsy lately. :rolleyes:

Cleveland Heights? That's not too far from where I grew up. My mom used to drive me all the way to Shaker Hts for my orthodontist. I remember it well....Dr. Goldblatt.

Thank you SO much for all the great information. It sounds like you enjoy doing all the same things we like to do! I am so looking forward to doing a b2b also. Now I'm going to be driving the dh crazy with all of this information.:D

Not to beat a dead horse here but' date=' is it slippery, is that the issue? I have north face waterproof hiking shoes that I bought for Alaska, so I am assuming that would be fine. Could you just give me a bit more detail on the hike as it relates to strenuous etc? I would so love to do this hike and, as I did for Alaska, work on getting in shape, but concerned about that possibility of dh falling. He's been awfully clumsy lately. :rolleyes:

Cleveland Heights? That's not too far from where I grew up. My mom used to drive me all the way to Shaker Hts for my orthodontist. I remember it well....Dr. Goldblatt.[/quote']

Hey - don't drive your DH crazy, just book the tours and surprise him :D.

The hike can be muddy in places (it's a rainforest), which can be slippery. There are areas where there are surface roots to content with, others that involve rocks, and there are several streams to cross. There are stones you can step on, but the streams aren't deep, and can be waded, too. The person who got hurt was using the stepping stones and slipped off of one and went down pretty hard. In my hiking sandals, I just waded through - plus, the side effect was to wash off both my feet and the sandals. With the rainforest hikes, especially to waterfalls, you hike down, usually, to get to the bottom of the falls. Which means the way back is ... up. Or you start hiking up and the way back is easier, down. These hikes don't tend to be on level, smooth surfaces, or trails that are up to US Park Service standards. They're safe, you just have to be careful about where you're putting your feet sometimes.

I'm sure your north face shoes would work, but they might be a little warm - this is the Caribbean. If you look at the picture printingchick posted, the Keens and the Merrill's are pretty much like that. Even Crocs makes a version now. Another nice thing is these shoes can get taken into the shower to wash them off, and can get tossed into the washing machine. I've used mine for hiking in the desert, too.

Shaker Hts - Cleveland Hts' next door neighbor :) Where'd you grow up?

I thought of another question if you don't mind. Can you tell me what pier you were at for the Serenade? We are Starwood owners so thought we might stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan (for points but I have read some good and bad about) but I don't think the pier that the Serenade goes out of is the one that is across the street.:( Thanks again.

I thought of another question if you don't mind. Can you tell me what pier you were at for the Serenade? We are Starwood owners so thought we might stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan (for points but I have read some good and bad about) but I don't think the pier that the Serenade goes out of is the one that is across the street.:( Thanks again.

We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan before and didn't have any problems with it. In fact we are staying there again in May for our pre-cruise hotel. There is a lot within walking distance of the hotel, unfortunately the RC pier is not of them. RC does not depart from the pier located across the street, you will have to take a taxi. However it is a short ride.

There Serenade docks at the Pan Am pier :)

Hey - don't drive your DH crazy, just book the tours and surprise him :D. LOL - Yep, that's usually what I do ;)

The hike can be muddy in places (it's a rainforest), which can be slippery. There are areas where there are surface roots to content with, others that involve rocks, and there are several streams to cross. There are stones you can step on, but the streams aren't deep, and can be waded, too. The person who got hurt was using the stepping stones and slipped off of one and went down pretty hard. In my hiking sandals, I just waded through - plus, the side effect was to wash off both my feet and the sandals. With the rainforest hikes, especially to waterfalls, you hike down, usually, to get to the bottom of the falls. Which means the way back is ... up. Or you start hiking up and the way back is easier, down. These hikes don't tend to be on level, smooth surfaces, or trails that are up to US Park Service standards. They're safe, you just have to be careful about where you're putting your feet sometimes. I get the picture now! Thanks so much for the specifics.

I'm sure your north face shoes would work, but they might be a little warm - this is the Caribbean. If you look at the picture printingchick posted, the Keens and the Merrill's are pretty much like that. Even Crocs makes a version now. Another nice thing is these shoes can get taken into the shower to wash them off, and can get tossed into the washing machine. I've used mine for hiking in the desert, too. I did think of the heat thing and they are quite warm as I am currently using them in the snow. :D I might just have to look into those kind of sandals.

Shaker Hts - Cleveland Hts' next door neighbor :) Where'd you grow up?I lived in Chesterland until I was 12 then moved to Willoughby until 16 when my parents ruined my life and moved me to Chicago. I always held that against them....but I think I'm over it now. :rolleyes: My dh was from Youngstown. So we're buckeyes through and through.

Thanks to Redhead and mslaabs for the info on the port and Sheraton. That makes me feel much better (Sheraton) but too bad that's not the right dock. Oh well.

This has been a most helpful thread!

Thanks to Redhead and mslaabs for the info on the port and Sheraton. That makes me feel much better (Sheraton) but too bad that's not the right dock. Oh well.

This has been a most helpful thread!

RCCL hasn't embarked from the dock in OSJ for many years. We did stay at the Sheraton OSJ (back when it was the Wyndham OSJ) when they did though, and it was incredibly convenient. More recently we've been staying at hotels in the Condado district. We may very well stay at the Sheraton OSJ again next year, since we love the location, and will need to take a cab to the ship no matter where we stay. There is a new Sheraton at the convention center. You can see it from the ship, but it's still too far too walk.

I see why you say you drove "all the way in" to Shaker Hts - you're a REAL east sider :) To me, that far out is nearly Pennsylvania, since I've lived in Univ Hts and Cleve Hts my entire life. Glad to hear you guys are still buckeyes, guess you can take the girl out of Ohio, but can't take Ohio out of the girl!

Hi jlmolner. We're Clevelanders too. How bout those Cav's!! :D

I have 2 questions about Serenade. (1) we have adjacent cabins 9594/9596 and wondered if the balcony dividers open between the two. (2) I see there is something called "Thermal Suite" which I understand to be a special steam and/or sauna with things like aroma therapy, special loungers and a view of the sea, etc. I believe there is a daily or weekly charge for this. What I wonder is there another garden variety steam room in the fitness or spa area which is free? I'm getting conflicting info from RCCL and wondered what you know since you're so familiar with the ship.

Hi jlmolner. We're Clevelanders too. How bout those Cav's!! :D

I have 2 questions about Serenade. (1) we have adjacent cabins 9594/9596 and wondered if the balcony dividers open between the two. (2) I see there is something called "Thermal Suite" which I understand to be a special steam and/or sauna with things like aroma therapy, special loungers and a view of the sea, etc. I believe there is a daily or weekly charge for this. What I wonder is there another garden variety steam room in the fitness or spa area which is free? I'm getting conflicting info from RCCL and wondered what you know since you're so familiar with the ship.

Go Cavs :D

The balcony dividers don't open, unfortunately. We spend a lot of time leaning on the balcony railing talking to our neighbors, who are frequently friends and travelling companions.

The thermal suite is pretty cool - we've toured it, but never used. There are both daily rates, and you've got the description pretty accurate. We don't typically use the spa services, but I seem to remember a garden variety sauna being available free of charge. I have to admit, the idea of a sauna in the middle of the Caribbean heat isn't particularly appealing to me :rolleyes: However, it's about the only thing on this ship that isn't!

Have a great trip!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. My sister is graduating from pharmacy school next May and we've insisted we're taking a cruise to celebrate. :D I've been very interested in the Radiance class and think I can talk her into going. The ports on your itinerary sounds so much nicer than the traditional "eastern/western." ;)

Thanks again!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. My sister is graduating from pharmacy school next May and we've insisted we're taking a cruise to celebrate. :D I've been very interested in the Radiance class and think I can talk her into going. The ports on your itinerary sounds so much nicer than the traditional "eastern/western." ;)

Thanks again!!!

And you'll love the Radiance class ships, especially for the caribbean. The outdoor eating (off the Windjammer) alone makes it our choice. Actually, even in Alaska we sat out there in coats and had some of our meals. Not to mention all the glass viewing out to the ocean! Hope you're able to convince her. Sorry, I'm not the OP, just had to butt in my 2 cents. :rolleyes: :D

And you'll love the Radiance class ships' date=' especially for the caribbean. The outdoor eating (off the Windjammer) alone makes it our choice. Actually, even in Alaska we sat out there in coats and had some of our meals. Not to mention all the glass viewing out to the ocean! Hope you're able to convince her. Sorry, I'm not the OP, just had to butt in my 2 cents. :rolleyes: :D[/quote']

No apologies - I love all the details! :)

Archived