Question about Corkage Fees, just to be clear.

crazyboys

Another point - unlike Carnival, HAL doesn't have limits on the amount of wine one can bring onboard. You are free to bring as much as you need.

Although it's been several years since I've been on a Carnival ship, we always brought a case of wine for our cabin with no problem. And that was through 3 different embarkation ports. Via carry-on, not hidden.

Have things changed? I hate to think it!

Carnival apparently has had too much bad experiences with people bringing cases onboard. Carnival policy:

Can I bring liquor on board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be retained at the gangway, stored on board and held by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Gift Shops On Board

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

Hensghan and Oceanwench,

I was waiting for someone to say something like that before jumping in. We brought a case of wine on a transatlantic HAL cruise and augmented our wine with a bottle now and then from the dining rooms. We were rarely charged a corkage fee for our wine. Wine steward liked to point out additions to the wine list and we liked to drink wine and when it was our bottles there wasn't even a wink-wink - just a 1 out of 3 or 4 charged. Which is why we like HAL so much. Unlike NCL which tots up a per bottle charge for each bottle of wine as you board and sticks little stickers on each bottle. margretha

We were at a table for four on our Volendam cruise a couple of years ago and the other couple brought a case of selected wine on the cruise. They lived in Florida and drove to Ft Lauderdale so not a problem for them. Initially we ordered our own wine at dinner but after a couple of nights, as we got to know our table mates, we started sharing. If they asked for a white wine from their stock then we'd order a red, or vice versa, so that the table would have a choice. About the fourth or fifth night of a 12-day cruise the wine steward told the table that he was dropping the other couple's corkage fee as we were also ordering from the ship's cellar. Worked for everybody and got the steward an additional out-of-hand tip at the end of the cruise.

I pour my wine in the cabin and carry it to the MDR--usually they put it on a little trya and carry it to your table and no fee. Its elegant and cheap (which describes me as well).

We've done this... taken glasses of wine in with us.

Of course, the last evening, we also presented our head waiter with a bottle of a local WA dessert wine that we thought she would like (this was on Princess), along with her tip. She was delighted.

Perhaps if you bring along a local vintage to share with the wine steward, you might find your service a bit better... who knows?

I may be responding to this question as a minority of one but it has been my personal experience that, if all you have your wine steward do is open and serve your wine, you will virtually always be charged a corkage fee. If, on the other hand, you also purchase other things through him -- i.e., before dinner cocktail, after dinner liqueur, etc. -- you are very often not charged a corkage fee. By purchasing other products you permit your steward to still visibly present you with a charge slip, but he also then has the opportunity to inform you that you were not charged a corkage fee, thereby creating an opportunity for you to tip extra. I believe a great many wine stewards would rather receive a $10 additonal personal gratutity than charge $18 that goes pretty much totally to the cruise line. Human nature is human nature. This may not be totally acceptable behavior as far as the cruise line itself goes but it is really no different than the bartender in your favorite lounge making your drinks stronger than normal because you have established a tipping relationship. I know 15% drink gratuities are already included in every purchase but a little extra usually always goes a long way!

We were on the Statendam in October. Our first night we were in Open Seating, our wine steward charged us the $18. corkage. We were moved to fixed seating and when it was time to open the next bottle our "new" wine steward asked if I was interested in buying HAL shot glasses instead of paying corkage. Those 2boxes will make lovely gifts

I am amazed at what I am reading. Are you allowed to bring wine on board? If so, do you have to hide it? And how much does a "cheap" glass of wine cost on HAL?

HAL allows you to bring wine on the ship. No need to hide it. I don't remember what a glass of wine cost but by the bottle it's relatively expensive for medium quality wines.

Archived