Song of Norway-7/84

I have been trying to put together my old itineraries. Unfortunately I can't remember all the ports of call from this cruise. I do have pictures from Grand Cayman and what appears to be pyramids in Mexico. We left out of Miami and returned on a 7 day cruise most likely departing on a Saturday. If anyone has any recollection of this itinerary it would be appreciated.

It can be this cruise as it looks today;

Sun- Miami,Florida

Mon- At Sea

Tue- Labadee, Haiti

Wed- Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Thu- George Town, Crand Cayman

Fri- Cozumel, Mexico

Sat- At Sea

Sun- Miami, Florida

That itneary that Liberty do now!

But i'm guess that it wasn't exactly the same route.

Hi Aloha...DH and I cruised the Song of Norway in July of 1986. Methinks the itinerary was no doubt the same as 1984. We did Labadee; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Cozumel. Wasn't it grand? Wonderful memories!!

Happy Sailings.

Helen

We sailed a western Caribbean itinerary in April, 1983 on Song of Norway and at that time our itinerary was: Grand Cayman, Cozumel (with an excursion to Tulum from the ship as it was heading to Cozumel) and Ocho Rios. No stop in Labadee which might not yet have been developed by RCI. It was the first of our many subsequent RCI cruises, so I guess we really enjoyed it.:D

Well then it was the cruise that i said;)

BTW how was Labadee at that time?

Hello...When we were there in '86, it was Paradise! Our first stop on the cruise, and it lived up to our expectations. Lovely beaches, busy "flea market"--I still display the 16" Haitian carvings I bought. Not too busy, as the ship only carried 1800 plus passengers. One didn't have trouble finding lounge chairs on the beach. I still have the passenger list booklet from the cruise! Those were the days, my friends!

Helen

By the way:

My source was Under Crown and Anchor (Royal Caribbean Cruise Line; The First Twenty Five Years, 1970-1995).

Remember the Doubloons (coins) you had to buy before you went ashore to pay for things, still have some somewhere.

Hi, I first started cruising in 1982 on the Boheme, Commadore Cruise Line, then found Rccl Song of Norway, had a blast on the Song, sorry to see its no longer with rccl. Was also on Song of America, Nordic Prince, Sun Viking, Viking Serenade, now those ships are gone. Have been to Labadee, oh 20 yrs ago, was great.

I'm pretty sure that RCCL was using Labadee as far back as 1994. However, the ships did not always stop there, often for months at a time, due to political unrest. I was on Song of Norway in '94 and we missed the stop. More upsetting to me was that the ship was going to resume stops there the following cruise.

Hello...When we were there in '86, it was Paradise! Our first stop on the cruise, and it lived up to our expectations. Lovely beaches, busy "flea market"--I still display the 16" Haitian carvings I bought. Not too busy, as the ship only carried 1800 plus passengers. One didn't have trouble finding lounge chairs on the beach. I still have the passenger list booklet from the cruise! Those were the days, my friends!

Helen

Alright, not so crowded then it is now ;)

But can you post the passenger list? :D

The Song of Norway was only a little over 1,000 passengers - way back when that was a pretty good size ship

We sailed on her in 1986 and visited Labadee. It was lovely, there wasn't much there, but it had all we needed!

It was our first cruise and we've been hooked ever since.

Alright, not so crowded then it is now ;)

But can you post the passenger list? :D

Hello...I don't know if I would be violating someone's privacy if I printed the list. Was there a specific passenger you were interested in? The list is 9 pages long.

CRUZBUDS, you are correct, there were 1,022 passengers on the Song! Loved that size!!

Helen

My first cruise was on Song of Norway in 1980 (Puerto Plata, San Juan, & St. Thomas)

In 1982 when the Song of America came on line it did (Nassau, San Juan & St. Thomas) and

I believe the Song of Norway switched over to West Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)

When Sovereign of the Seas came on line in 1988 it did Eastern Caribbean; Song of America-Western Caribbean and Song of Norway did southern Caribbean out of San Juan.

I went on Sovereign in 1989 (Labadee, San Juan, St. Thomas) and that's the first time I went to Labadee so I doubt the Song of Norway went there in 1984, but I'm sure it was added in some itineraries after 1989.

I confirmed with my friend and yes we went to Barbados, St Thomas, StMarten,Antigua and Martinique in 1989. She remembers when we walked to the pier and thinking this was the biggest ship she had ever seen. :) Oh how I have such fond memories.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/RCI_SongOfNorwayPCs.html#anchor6647

Those smaller ships (Noridc Prince, Sun Viking, Song of Norway) were terrific! There was always things to do, albeit they were small.

We did get a passenger list, and we had menus on the table very night that we could keep, and I even remember (and have photos) of the band playing WHILE we were at lifeboat drill!

Does anyone remember those Night Owl Badges we would get if you stayed up past 2am? You could always 'identify' the late night party folks if they had a Night Owl badge the next day!

ah, those great memories.....and I have photos to prove it......I wonder what happened to all of those great staff members in those pics.

Those smaller ships (Noridc Prince, Sun Viking, Song of Norway) were terrific! There was always things to do, albeit they were small.

We did get a passenger list, and we had menus on the table very night that we could keep, and I even remember (and have photos) of the band playing WHILE we were at lifeboat drill!

Does anyone remember those Night Owl Badges we would get if you stayed up past 2am? You could always 'identify' the late night party folks if they had a Night Owl badge the next day!

ah, those great memories.....and I have photos to prove it......I wonder what happened to all of those great staff members in those pics.

I felt so honored when the bartender handed me my badge

Hi...Remember going up the outside stairs to the small Viking Crown?? Some cruisers didn't even know it was there until word got around the last days! Very few people were up there--we almost had it to ourselves. Hot appetizers at 5pm--Wow, what great memories!

Helen

Booked my first cruise on Royal Caribbean's Song Of America in May 1983. It was ships twenty fourth voyage since it's first cruise in December 1982. The ship traveled to Nassau, San Juan and St Thomas. I traveled solo and met approximately one hundred singles on that cruise which left from Miami. It's incredible that at the time cruising really wasn't that popular and now millions travel each year.

A big thanks to all of you for identifying the itinerary and bringing back memories of the SON. Those were special days on the "original fleet" and those of us who sailed on those ships should be somehow recognized for our continued and lonstanding loyalty to RCI.

BTW as far as my particular cruise the stop in Haiti was Coco Cay.

Archived