Report Slams RCL in Haiti

I've only cruised Royal once so I am as far from a Royal Cheerleader as you can get. I have been watching the press on this however and I just wanted to say I can't believe this bull.

I believe that RCCL has handled this in a very positive way and I applaud their actions.

The article linked by the OP is just trash...plain and simple.

I'll go back to the other boards now.

;)

Anybody who thinks Labadee is a good place for a tent city is clueless. The whole thing is less than 1/2 square mile, and I'm sure there are a lot better, and bigger, sites that aren't a seven hour drive from Port-au-Prince.

Also, why is it that only Royal Caribbean should be dedicating cruise ships to the relief effort?

Royal is the only cruiseline with a port in Haiti. Also they are not the only one helping the haitians.

Carnival has donated $5 million compared to the $1 million RCL contributed

Royal is the only cruiseline with a port in Haiti. Also they are not the only one helping the haitians.

I believe that CCL has had a better go of it these past couple years and likely can afford the 5 million and RCI can't.

It's wrong...very wrong to claim to know what people...individuals or businesses should be giving to any particular cause. And you don't know what anyone gives that isn't publicized.

Here is the general e-mail for the website that is hosting this article if anybody wants to send them a complaint: staff@responsibletravel.org

The piece was picked up by USAToday.

http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Companies/Transportation,+Travel,+Hospitality/Cruise+Lines/Royal+Caribbean

I believe that CCL has had a better go of it these past couple years and likely can afford the 5 million and RCI can't.

It's wrong...very wrong to claim to know what people...individuals or businesses should be giving to any particular cause. And you don't know what anyone gives that isn't publicized.

I am sorry I didn't intend my comment to tell anyone what to give or who to give to or to assume what individuals have given. It was just in response to the comments from people asking why RCL is the only one getting criticized and that no one else is doing anything. I believe both Carnival & RCL canceled their dividends in 2009.

Actually, Royal Caribbean has given tens of millions, if not more, while Carnival has only given $5 million. How? Simple... Royal Caribbean has been providing money and jobs to Haiti since 1986 and will continue to do so. Carnival has absolutely no connection to Haiti. Carnival should follow Royal Caribbean's lead and create their own version of Labadee. It's no secret that Royal Caribbean is interested in one day offering Labadee visitors excursions to other parts of Haiti. Labadee is setting the framework for that to happen. Sadly, the recent events will probably delay this even further.

Interesting quote:

"Since 1986, the Royal Caribbean line has provided the largest source of tourism revenue to Haiti. The cruise company pays the Haitian government $6 per passenger and employs about 300 locals, including security guards, beach monitors, waiters, cleaners, as well as some managers. Approximately 200 more locals find work here selling their wares, often at inflated prices, at the market stalls, or by providing entertainment."

I am sorry I didn't intend my comment to tell anyone what to give or who to give to or to assume what individuals have given. It was just in response to the comments from people asking why RCL is the only one getting criticized and that no one else is doing anything. I believe both Carnival & RCL canceled their dividends in 2009.

Carnival has resumed paying of a dividend, effective this year.

Huh? :confused: You can't be serious.

Royal Caribbean is not a non-for-profit social organization. What you are proposing would bankrupt them. Royal Caribbean's response to the crisis has been nothing short of amazing. They have made an immensely generous donation (and continue to do so) during tough economic times (they just barely eeked out a profit last quarter after losing money the two previous quarters). They should be praised for all they are doing to help with the relief effort.

Well said

Actually, Royal Caribbean has given tens of millions, if not more, while Carnival has only given $5 million. How? Simple... Royal Caribbean has been providing money and jobs to Haiti since 1986 and will continue to do so. Carnival has absolutely no connection to Haiti. Carnival should follow Royal Caribbean's lead and create their own version of Labadee. It's no secret that Royal Caribbean is interested in one day offering Labadee visitors excursions to other parts of Haiti. Labadee is setting the framework for that to happen. Sadly, the recent events will probably delay this even further.

Interesting quote:

"Since 1986, the Royal Caribbean line has provided the largest source of tourism revenue to Haiti. The cruise company pays the Haitian government $6 per passenger and employs about 300 locals, including security guards, beach monitors, waiters, cleaners, as well as some managers. Approximately 200 more locals find work here selling their wares, often at inflated prices, at the market stalls, or by providing entertainment."

Actually the number is more like 2 million a year in Haitian Goverment income from the Labadee lease.

WHAT DID I SAY FROM THE START and others rubbished me

A more robust Royal Caribbean response to Haiti’s humanitarian catastrophe might include:

Dedicate several of its ships to ferry food, medicine and other supplies and relief workers (but not vacationers) from the U.S. and help take the strain off the Port‐au‐Prince.

Thanks Islandbear

jj.......

...or RCI (RCCL) could just turn their back and Cruise somewhere else.

The group said a better response from Royal Caribbean would be for the line to dedicate ships to ferry food, medicine and other supplies to Haiti without passengers on board. It also suggests the company could use one or more of its ships to shelter Haitian refugees, as a hospital for the injured or as housing for relief workers. It notes a cruise ship was used to house evacuees from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

AAAhhhhh....excuse me....the Federal Gov funded the chartering of those ships from Carnival for use after Katrina ....what do they expect.....Royal to just pull their own ships out of service and eat the cost themselves....thats a sure way to bankrupt the company:rolleyes:

Why would you want them to do that? :confused:

I was just being sarcastic towards those thinking RCI isn’t doing the correct thing by still Cruising to Labadee for us vacationers to enjoy the fun and sun. RCI could say see ya and move elsewhere. They haven’t and I applauded RCI for that. I believe RCI is doing a great job bring aid to those that are in need and supporting them financially with port charges and jobs.

It still amazes me that people jump on RCCL deciding on what is and what isnt appropriate behavior. This was a tragic event which of course know one knew how to react but the fact is everyone felt the need to do something. There is not book written on what people/companies or countries should do. I think some people do not understand the definition of donation. Let me refresh their memory. Donation: a voluntary gift (as of money or service or ideas) made to some worthwhile cause.

I am probably going to get criticized for this but with everyone including stars going all out to raise money for Haiti. Has anyone stopped to think what if another terrible disaster hits us. Will everyone and all companies be tapped out? I think its wonderful what RCCL is doing, they are doing something so leave it at that. I feel terrible for what has happened in Haiti and for all those that have lost a loved one or a home. But we still have children and families all over the country that go to bed at night with no dinner or for that matter no shelter to call a home. I cant help but wonder why everyone feels such a pull to give everything to Haiti when again we have so many people going without as well in the countries that we live in. Like I said, I am sure I will get pelted for stating my feelings but it bothers me to hear all these these celebrities going all out for Haiti but not having the compassion to look outside their own door. They don't get criticized, they get commended. RCCL does something but gets criticized for it. Strange world we live in.

A more robust Royal Caribbean response to Haiti’s humanitarian catastrophe might include:

Dedicate several of its ships to ferry food, medicine and other supplies and relief workers (but not vacationers) from the U.S. and help take the strain off the Port‐au‐Prince.

Thanks Islandbear

jj.......

You really should spend more time worrying about Coxswain's robust response and let RCI worry about theirs.

Actually the number is more like 2 million a year in Haitian Goverment income from the Labadee lease.

Royal Caribbean leased/acquired Labadee 24 years ago in 1986. At $2 million a year as you noted, that's $48 million, plus the amount the locals have made from working there and selling their crafts. $48 million so far versus Carnival's $5 million total is a major difference.

Thanks Islandbear

jj.......

Well, that would be nice, but it's not like Royal Caribbean is a company that's just swimming in money. They operate on something like a 5-10% profit margin. They would lose tons of money if they dedicated several ships as you suggest, plus they would piss off tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of passengers who were planning to sail on those ships.

Maybe it would be nice of them, if they did that. It would be nice of you, if you sold your belongings and gave all the money to the Haiti relief effort. But that's not what should be expected of you.

The logic of these people who are criticizing RCI absolutely baffles me. So RCI is held to a higher standard than any other company in the world because their ships stop at a small piece of beach on the complete opposite side of the island? Its considered disrespectful for anyone to enjoy themselves 100 miles away on the other side of the island?

If they were docking in Port-au-Prince that would be one thing. I can see the problem with people sipping frozen drinks while 50 yards away rescue efforts are still ongoing. Labadee isn't even on the same coast as P-A-P. So where is this imaginary line that makes one place OK to continue cruising to, yet another place not OK. Dominican Republic shares the island with Haiti. Are all the resorts in DR being criticized for not turning their guests away and offering up their hotels? Jamaica and Puerto Rico aren't too far away from the island either. Should all the cruise lines stop cruising there too?

By no means is my point that this tragedy is only an issue for those directly effected by it. I just feel that its somewhat of a stretch to be saying RCI should be doing this and that (above and beyond what others "should" be doing) just because they stop at a port within the boards of the same country as P-A-P. Yet RCI is doing tremendous work for this country and its people and they still get bashed??? I don't understand...

I believe that RCI has given much more than $1 million in cash they've noted. We need to figure in all the supplies they've been dropping off on each stop, the number of people they employ, the proceeds from each stop, and the donations they've collected on each cruise. And that's just the beginning.

As for this group that wrote the letter, perhaps they should stick to ecotourism, which is apparently their area of expertise. I don't recall hearing much from them pre-earthquake. Too little, too late.

Oh my goodness...here we go again. RCCL is the only major U.S. company bringing regular and steady tourism to Haiti. They account for over 65% of Haiti's tourism....and someone has the gall to insinuate that they are not "donating" enough, or shame on them because they are not "donating" their massive ships to relief efforts (despite the massive numbers of U.S. and foreign military ships already there). These suggestions scream of ignorance on an extreme level. :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness...here we go again. RCCL is the only major U.S. company bringing regular and steady tourism to Haiti. They account for over 65% of Haiti's tourism....and someone has the gall to insinuate that they are not "donating" enough, or shame on them because they are not "donating" their massive ships to relief efforts (despite the massive numbers of U.S. and foreign military ships already there). These suggestions scream of ignorance on an extreme level. :rolleyes:

Consider the source.........no one else who has posted has agreed with "cox". He just likes to stir the pot.

Archived