Workout Equipment/kickboards

honneerider

We will be on Grandeur on Mon.

My son works out at home with weights, curl bar, bench, etc.

Is this equipment available in the gym on board?

How about kickboards for the pool?

I have a temporary pin in my finger joint, and might not find the vacuum sock I purchased to keep the bandage dry effective.

Thanks!

Cruise ships do not allow any kind of "toys" or equipment in their pools. Ship pools are far too small to accommodate the number of persons who would bring things in.

Depending on the ship, the gym will have that equipment, but realize there is a minimum age for kids to use the gym. On some ships it's 16 while on others it's 18.

The pools are small...enough to get wet...not large enough for actual swimming, unless no one else is in there....and that's not likely to happen!

No laps in the pools? That is REALLY disappointing. I get up at 5 AM and was hoping to do some swimming. Guess there was no reason to worry about getting the bandage cover for my finger.

My son is 35. He meets the age requirements!

Thank you.

No laps in the pools? That is REALLY disappointing. I get up at 5 AM and was hoping to do some swimming. Guess there was no reason to worry about getting the bandage cover for my finger.

My son is 35. He meets the age requirements!

Thank you.

I understand. But it's important to consider how much space can be devoted to a single pool on a ship. There has to be room to have rows of lounges around it, promenade walkways for passengers outside of that, and so forth. I'm going to take a WAG and guess the main pool on Grandeur is about 15' x 25' and the Solarium pool is probably shorter and wider, but about the same overall volume. If you have been envisioning a "real" pool that will hold 200 passengers at a time, you need to downsize your expectations.

When swimming, you'd be able to do four to five strokes maximum before turning. With a kickboard, you'd have to go in really small circles or turn constantly. I've used Solarium pools on a number of RCI ships for "lap" swimming, but only the ones that have the endless pool feature or doing breaststroke in small circles. Then it was only if no one else was in the pool during "off" hours. I don't know if Grandeur's Solarium pool has the endless pool option.

You absolutely will not be allowed to use a kickboard, not even at 5 am. They can't allow anyone to bring equipment because then they'd have to allow everyone to do the same. You just know people would want to bring those floating lounges, which would take up half the pool. You also need to check to be sure that the pool will be open by them if you decide to go for a "lap" swim sans board. I'm not an early morning person, so I have no idea how early they're open.

I really do understand your disappointment because swimming is one of the exercises I can still do on a regular basis and it's always been a favorite.

beachchick

Thank you so much for taking all the time to answer.

How can I be disappointed in a free cruise? Shame on me.

I am SO looking forward to this experience!

First time my horses have been in a place that takes excellent care of them, and I am "off" work until mid-Feb, allowing me the opportunity to get away.

I am a people person and can't wait to chat with new friends.

First time my horses have been in a place that takes excellent care of them, and I am "off" work until mid-Feb, allowing me the opportunity to get away.

Nah. You just expressed disappointment about one specific thing. When you don't have experience with cruise ships, you aren't necessarily going to "get" everything right away. We're happy to help...even if the answers aren't always what you want to hear.

Have a wonderful time!:)

beachchick

You are going to have an awesome time!

Being a swimmer myself, best advice I can give you is to seek out very off hours in which you might have the pool to yourself. Laps are difficult in small pools, but a workout can be had. forget the kickboard, just clasp your hands in front of you or let your arms trail behind you.

There will be an ample supply of happy cruisers to chat with, and I hope your horsies behave while you are gone!

Archived