Western Caribbean Excursion Advice

puhkuh

We are sailing Carnival Legend May 30-June 6. Need some advice on the best excursions. Here is what I'm considering so far.

Grand Cayman - Not sure

Cozumel - Dolphin Swim @ dolphin discovery

Belize - Mayan Ruins w/ the hubby

Isla Roatan - Not sure

I am open to dolphin swims elsewhere, but have found dolphin discovery to be the better deal. Also, would like to try out parasailing. Wondering if I can find someone locally to do this just about anywhere? Have read alot about Victor Bodden tours in Isla Roatan, but not sure exactly what to do/where to go. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you have to offer. Thanks!

We are sailing Carnival Legend May 30-June 6. Need some advice on the best excursions. Here is what I'm considering so far.

Grand Cayman - Not sure

Cozumel - Dolphin Swim @ dolphin discovery

Belize - Mayan Ruins w/ the hubby

Isla Roatan - Not sure

I am open to dolphin swims elsewhere, but have found dolphin discovery to be the better deal. Also, would like to try out parasailing. Wondering if I can find someone locally to do this just about anywhere? Have read alot about Victor Bodden tours in Isla Roatan, but not sure exactly what to do/where to go. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you have to offer. Thanks!

I did the Royal Swim with Dolphn Discovery and it was great. Check their website for specials. Also did Stingray City in Grand Cayman and that was great too.

Grand Cayman - almost any tour that goes out to Stingray City and the reef. We practically had to haul DH out of the water when it was time to go. He's still talking about his experiences there a couple years later. :) We went with Captian Bryan. http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/CaptainBryan.htm

Others have reported Native Way was very good too.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

Cozumel - Chankanaab National Park is Wonderful! (note the capital w). We watched the Dolphin Discovery while there and we're very impress. Check out the other things offered at Chankanaab. There's a variety of things to see and do. We will be returning in the fall. http://www.cozumelparks.com/index.html

We haven't been to your other two ports. I'm very interested in answers as they are on our Thanksgiving cruise.

Hi!

This will be our first cruise and I am very interested in Chankanaab park in Cozumel. Did you book this excursion independantly? How did you get from the ship to the park - and were there any issues getting back to the ship on time? Thanks for any answers! We are super excited for our 1st cruising experience - 19 days to go!

Hi!

This will be our first cruise and I am very interested in Chankanaab park in Cozumel. Did you book this excursion independantly? How did you get from the ship to the park - and were there any issues getting back to the ship on time? Thanks for any answers! We are super excited for our 1st cruising experience - 19 days to go!

No need to book for Chankanaab. Catch a cab for around $10 each way. You can pay at the park office. There is a discount coupon on this site (halfway down the page) for the park: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/ The park office called a taxi for us for the return ride.

The beaches in GC are nice, and all are public..you don't need to "pay" to play. (Having lived at the beach my entire childhood, swimming with stingrays isn't tops on my list!!)

The beaches are an easy bus ride (cheap) away, and have bathrooms, restaurants, chair rentals, watersport rentals...what more could you want?

The stingray trip is a must see in GC. We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excusrion with Nativways and I highly recommend this tour. First, you interact with the Rays, which are as tame as the family dog, they love human interaction. I was skeptical, but I'm glad I tried it. Afterwards, we snorkelled a beautiful reef area and from there we went to Rum Point for lunch and a little beach time. The place was beautiful There were only about a dozen of us on our tour- much more intimate than a ship sponsored tour.

In Roatan, I highly recommend hiring a private tour guide for the day. We used Victor Bodden tours twice. Your guide will take you to a variety of places throughout the island, especially tailored to what you want to see and do. You can zipline, interact with Victor's playful monkees, see an iguana sanctuary, go snorkelling, sightsee, shop, or visit one of their beautiful beaches. You have the guide for the entire day if you choose.

Check out the port of call boards for some other ideas, but both these options are great choices.

In Belize, you might want to consider the ruins/river tour. We did the Altun Ha/ River tour. This way, you are on a boat half way and you will see lots of native wildlife. The second half of the trip takes you to visit the ruins.

Archived