Questions about sailing Alaska

jane02

We are looking at doing a SS seven night cruise to Alaska next year. We have never sailed this part of the world and hoping for some advice regarding the best time of the year to go. I am realistic enough to know that you can hit bad weather at any time but if you had a choice, when would you do this cruise?

Thanks

Kellie

We will be taking our first cruise ever on the Shadow from Seward to Vancouver setting sail June 10. I have found the Alaska board in the Ports of Call section of this site to have lots of information on what the weather is like when in AK. The general consensus is that it is unpredictable, but so far only one poster has said they regretted the cruise. If you haven't visited there, it might be helpful.

We are looking at doing a SS seven night cruise to Alaska next year. We have never sailed this part of the world and hoping for some advice regarding the best time of the year to go. I am realistic enough to know that you can hit bad weather at any time but if you had a choice, when would you do this cruise?

Thanks

Kellie

We have cruise there in May (first sailing of the season), early July (4th of July in Skagway), and August. One of the main things to establish is what is your main focus? If it is wildlife viewing just know that, for instance, bears are not really active until later in the season (usually keyed to the salmon run) so excursions might not be offered until late July.

As you noted, weather is really changeable in Alsaka and, if you are combining a land tour with the cruise, it can be radically different. I was in shorts in Skagway in May and buying fleece in Denali in August! Glacier Bay was cold and blowing a monsoon one day in July and the next day was glorious in College Fijord. You just never know.

As the previous poster noted, the Alaska board is a great source of info. Also check out the member reviews. Each portion of the cruise season offers its own attractions, but the main thing to do is go. Alaska is wonderful anytime.

My two cents after three Alaska cruises and planning next.

Given that the weather is not predictable, later in the season seems better for sailing and touring. May and June seem to have had more bad sailing weather.

For wildlife viewing, June and July seem better. Look at the schedule for the bear viewing tours. They are only available when lots of salmon and bears are around.

The scenery is always there and so are the hiking trails. Can't miss. Enjoy!

We did two cruises to Alaska, and the weather was a mixed bag, but never too terrible to not enjoy the scenery and such. The shore excursions are all great, but a few of them are weather dependent due to the use of helicopters. One of the most interesting things we did, and we actually did it twice, was to go snorkeling in Ketchikan. Yes, you read it correctly, snorkeling, but with a thick wet suit on! If you need the snorkel providers name, let me know and I will dig it out of the files.

Thanks

Kellie

We were on the Silver Shadow last August for a 10 day cruise to Alaska. We had some warm days(low 80's) and a few days that it rained off and on.

In the past we have cruised to Alaska in June and we also had some nice days and and some days that it rained off and on.

Archived