Great Bay Pollution - What is it like NOW?

Wonders10

The no signs and no notification to cruisers on the ships in port upsets me very much. If people know that the water is unsafe to swim in and chose to that's one thing, but not posting or informing those interested in swimming there that the water has not passed inspection, is another.

Hope this isn't a stupid question. We were in St. Maarten last month on a cruise and since we've been there before, we just decided to use it as our "take it easy beach day". Great Bay looked beautiful, but because of the pollution concerns, we didn't want to spend the day there. We ended up going to Divi Little Bay, which is right next to it, but the two are separated by a small penninsula. Neither of us having any issues, but just curious when the pollution warnings are out for Great Bay, does this also affect Divi Little Bay? Thanks!

Little Bay is not thought to have the same pollution problems as Great Bay. We swim/snorkel in Little Bay without worrying about it - we never go into Great Bay. Of course, we do not really know for sure.

The test results that I have read show Little Bay having very good results. Great Bay is the one with the failed tests.

The Port of St. Maarten says that they can alleviate this problem by pumping the waste water out to sea, but I don't see this as much of a solution.

The diagram posted in the paper basically shows the new pipeline dumping this 'bad stuff' into some important coral reefs.

It may get it off the beach, but what does it destroy in the process?

gary

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just read about the pollution problem at Great Bay Beach. How would one find out when they had their last rain? Is there a weather site or similar site to find out the pollution alert for a particular day? We will be on the Oasis of the Seas in June of this year and traveling with 6 grandkids that I sure don't want to risk contaminating! Is this a hush, hush topic with the cruise ships as I can't find any information concerning this?

Thanks for any help.

Karen

I use WunderGround.com, but note that the heavy rain - pumping of the Salt Pond Pollution into Great Bay is not the only source of pollution.

Currently there is no local source of a warning system for pollution, but I've been working for it.

I am actually more concerned about the other sources of pollution.

gary

Thanks so much Gary. Looks like you are such a good advocate for the beach water quality that St. Maarten needs. Do you know of another beach close by the cruise ships with safer conditions? I was really hoping to not spend an "arm & leg" on a swimming adventure, but might suggest we stay on the ship for water activities if I can't find another beach.

Again, thank you for your help.

Karen

Divi Resort on Little Bay is a quick and inexpensive taxi ride away from the Cruise Facility.

I'm not aware of any pollution concerns there.

gary

How far is this resort from where you can shop in Philipsburg? Is Little Bay a public beach or are reservations needed ? Any info appreciated. Do u know how much taxi for 5 people would be ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 years later...

On the island currently vacationing and the pollution issue at Great Bay was in the Daily Herald again on Aug 4/19. Apparently recent testing by the St. Martin Nature Foundation (after rain) again showed sewage content in the water at Great Bay. Information is power and people should be informed IMHO so I thought that I should post this new information on this most informative thread.

7 hours ago, Luv06012012 said:

Does the beach area in front of Holland House fall into the polluted area?  If we were planning our day there, should we go elsewhere?  Thank you!!!

That hotel is in Great Bay. The article specifically mentioned that the failing water sample came after rain. This is easier for island residents and visitors to know than cruisers. Ugg! So disappointed that the island hasn’t fixed this issue yet! 

11 hours ago, Karysa said:

That hotel is in Great Bay. The article specifically mentioned that the failing water sample came after rain. This is easier for island residents and visitors to know than cruisers. Ugg! So disappointed that the island hasn’t fixed this issue yet! 

Thank you for confirming Karysa….better to know and be safe!  Now I need to make alternate plans and I'm not sure what to do.  We are just doing a beach day, but I also need to hit up the Alex & Ani store for some bracelets so I don't want to get too far out of my way.  :classic_huh:

7 hours ago, Luv06012012 said:

Thank you for confirming Karysa….better to know and be safe!  Now I need to make alternate plans and I'm not sure what to do.  We are just doing a beach day, but I also need to hit up the Alex & Ani store for some bracelets so I don't want to get too far out of my way.  :classic_huh:

Kay’s Jewelers ( down on your left) and Majesty Jewelers(closest to the ships on your right) in the port area both carry Alex & Ani bracelets. I shop at Kay’s most often. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, island284 said:

Kay’s Jewelers ( down on your left) and Majesty Jewelers(closest to the ships on your right) in the port area both carry Alex & Ani bracelets. I shop at Kay’s most often. 

Thank you so much for this info!!!  That will help if I can get them closer to the ship.  I'm after the ones with the port locations on them.  I saw them back in 2016 and purchased one thinking I could get the rest online once I got home....that is not the case. They are only available in certain locations and if you do find them online they're an arm and a leg!  

On the beach pollution issue, I'm thinking of trying Mullet Bay Beach.  What do you guys think of that option?  Thanks!!!