Review of Carnival Ecstasy 5 Day Cruise 1/9/10 LONG

Fighterone

Background

DH, Saint-Zoomer (SZ) and I are in our early 60s, and late 50s. This was our 4th time on the Ecstasy; we have witnessed 2 refurbishments on her since 2005. In the past, we have cruised on Carnival, Celebration, Conquest, NCL Sea, RCI, Splendour, Rhapsody, Voyager, and the Yankee Clipper, a Windjammer barefoot cruise out of Martinique in 1978.

Lately, we tend to alternate vacations between cruising and all inclusives (AI) since we are more sedentary and don't care about sightseeing as much as when we were young. Our destination doesn't really matter as long as it is tropical and nonstop out of IAH, Houston's big airport. My background is with the airlines, primary language is French; his is English with several years as a student in Mexico and Canada. We have no children but enjoy our menagerie of animals. I love good food, any type, and my CC name denotes my constant fight with the scale, an on-going losing battle.

We live about 1.5 hours from the Port of Galveston and are fortunate to have friends in Dickinson who baby sit our car and drive us to and from the port. We have used both EZ cruise and the port of Galveston parking. The former offers an online discount. Here is more information about Galveston and its parking: www.galveston.com

The day before, I decided to take off from work since I will never change the fact that I am a last minute person and no matter what, I will never successfully complete all the pre-cruise chores unless I am backed up to a wall on a deadline.

Having endured the woes of debarkation’s disorganization and long waits, this would be the second time that we would pack light enough to end the vacation promptly with self-debarkation, something we promised ourselves we would do unless we were on a cruise around the world and would need everything including the kitchen sink.

Before I get started, I’d like to say that these are my observations and my opinions. Please agree to disagree and take everything with “a grain of salt”. If I mention, that’s one for Carnival, this means that in comparison, RCI didn’t offer this perk, or vice-versa.

Embarkation

On the big D day, that Saturday morning, I woke up feeling like it was Christmas not only because of the excitement of the cruise but it was a chilling 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I immediately logged on to watch the Ecstasy come in at 0745 on the webcam. Excited, I posted a picture of it on our roll call, a measly little thread that never really materialized into new friendships, despite our efforts to organize an unofficial meet and greet. I always thought that the idea behind posting on roll calls was to enjoy the possibility of developing new friendships, something that we were so fortunate to do with several folks including one couple in particular with whom we now have vacationed with regularly for the past 6 years. On a side note, I am sorry that Carnival does not offer an official meet and greet like RCI does when they have more than 25 CC members who register for their official M&M such on CC. That’s one for RCI.

I thought the Ecstasy would probably leave on time, this day, since it was not delayed by fog and a closed harbor, an unfortunate event for those who have to wait in line to board but a fun end to a vacation for those who are stuck on that ship in the closed harbor…unless one has a flight to catch, of course.

It was a cold but sunny day and fearing that we would have to wait in the cold and windy weather in long lines outside at the port, DH wore his long johns. I was sporting 2 layers of clothes, a heavy scarf and a windbreaker along with my beret. Our friend dropped us off at the dock around 12:00. What a pleasant surprise to see no line at all!

We handed our bags to the porter and tipped, their uniform shirt is a blue Hawaiian **** and most of them wore this over heavy sweaters, today. He was very nice…they always are. We gave him DH’s big duffle bag and my big duffle bag on wheels, packed with a couple of full space bags, including my long dress for elegant night, and my ice chest, 12X8X8, (Carnival no longer allows anything bigger than a 12x12x12 ice chest), a rolling carry-on suitcase no longer approved as such by the airlines,( just a bit oversized) which contained a 12 pack of 23 oz water bottles, a 12 pack of mixed sodas: ginger ale, peach and raspberry frescas, and a 46 oz of spicy V8. I used a TSA lock on both cases. We kept a small rolling carry-on computer case, his authorized (that’s one for Carnival) bottle of Chandon brut in a nice heavy duty wine bottle holder from Specs and my beach bag which I use as a purse and my Carnival water bottle holder which held my authorized bottle, a nice chilled bottle of Chandon brut for the first toast when we would enter our stateroom.

After walking down the long covered alcove/walk-way, we entered the building and our first Carnival rep. told us to wait at the bottom of the escalator. We were on hold, she said. I asked why and she replied that they just had to clear some areas at the top before we could proceed. Once we got to the top of those stairs, I think all 2974 passengers must have been in the 2 of the 3 waiting rooms we could see. The chairs were used to form the maze and we walked around these, back and forth until we got to Oh, finally, the door to the actual screening room. By then, we were no longer in such a jovial mood, witnessing a group of Asians wiggling their way through the line and cutting in front of everyone until…they got right behind me! At that point, DH remarked that the Carnival reps really ought to monitor those lines a bit better. I agreed emphatically, remembering the time, about 30 years ago, when I was in a long line waiting to go through security at the airport in Singapore when an Asian man elbowed me and wiggled his way through in front of me. I was one unhappy traveler and this had been one of those rare times that I really showed my displeasure as I normally am a pretty patient person in crowded lines. No doubt that DH remembered that unfortunate day and thought he might witness my unfavorable reaction.

As we entered the second room, the lines were split into 3 groups one for each of the 3 Carnival reps available to spot check our document. The group of 4 young Asians who had cut in line in front of everyone else, wound up behind us. Carole, was a friendly Carnival rep. who checked our docs after letting a man and his wife cut in front…he was in a scooter and whizzing them through the fast line through security (the line to the far left of all the other lines and also the lines where platinum members could go through without waiting). Carole insisted on calling everyone by their name and making sure that she didn’t totally butcher your name. Now that is personalized services. She was a nice lady and made me want to do what she does when I retire, especially if they get free or great discounts on cruises.

On to the next line: this is 1 of the 2 that took the longest; another maze that would eventually wind up at the security checkpoint. Take your pc out of the bag and take the metal out of your pocket. These are the regular faces of the security guards you see at the port. They took my wine out of its’ holder and yelled, “one bottle of wine”. Guess he wanted to make sure it wasn’t open. They once threw out my bottle of water there, because they said “NO OPEN CONTAINERS”. Finally, we are done with the checkpoint. Now on to the next maze where we receive a blank piece of paper to complete while waiting in this last maze. Fill out that form because they claim it before you board. It is an unofficial health document. Answering “yes” to any of the questions might mean a delay in boarding or worse. If you are in line and want to cough and sneeze, and are just getting over a cold, you might think about choking first to avoid a health screening and possible quick ending to your vacation.

AT LAST, we are at the front of the line and are about to get our weekly sign and sail pass (S&S pass). This Carnival rep. has a Carnival pin for each ship he has cruised on his lanyard. Each one identifies the ship and each one is unique. We are not platinum but having cruised before, we get a gold card. A first time cruiser gets a blue one. Our S&S card also depicts are eating coordinates on the ship. We had requested to eat when we wanted, instead of being assigned the early or late sitting. This is a wonderful new feature that we had only enjoyed on NCL and helps reduce the stress of having to be somewhere at a certain time while you are on vacation. Of course, nobody is obligated to eat in the dining room, every night but why miss the opportunity to sample delectable dishes and be served like a queen every night by most amicable waiters. Despite the fact that we are not crazy about having to dress-up, we love dining this great part of cruising.

Now, finally, we are ready to board, this is the first of many stops where cameramen may insist on taking our picture. Here, there are 2 stations; the background is a Polynesian setting, complete with plastic plants and styrofoam rocks that have been chipped by the nails of a bored voyageur waiting in line anxious to start his vacation, like me. We oblige and smile; the photographer gives us a sheet with the number on it. We can retrieve our beautiful photo at the photo gallery, frame #8. Another long walk through a nice corridor and the very first log on of our S&S pass will secure our photo on the only identification we will need until the end of the cruise. Take off the hat and the sunglasses. There is security at every corner. No photos, please! Why, I wonder! We encourage photos in our airports, with the exception of the TSA and their checkpoints.

Up the hill we go until we are in the retractable gangway, an area where one feels totally unsupported by land. A group of rowdy teenagers were screaming at the top of their lungs behind us. I jumped and thought I could have died of a heart attack right there. We enter the ship and are greeted by another security person who, once again swipes that S&S card. These folks are usually Gurkas and not very talkative. They mean business. I wouldn’t want to antagonize one. Finally, we are in the atrium..

Something is wrong, here. Nobody gave me my multicolor tri-folded map of this ship. Carnival ALWAYS provides those and they are my absolute most needed piece of information for the stay with the exception of the Capers, of course. (That’s one for Carnival). I ask 2 young ladies if they have these since they have a bunch of pamphlets. Oh no, I need to find someone in red for my map. They both are young, pretty but have a sour look on their faces. They really should not be at the entrance greeting excited new sailors who just want to see the grandiose atrium and find their stateroom. they are there to promote massages and a free drawing. I find a red shirt, the cutest little Australian guy, and his name tag says “Entertainer”. He is very nice, petite with dyed blond hair and one that I will see during the next 5 days, in the ports, and on the ship walking hand in hand with his girlfriend.

The gangway entry is on the Empress deck, forward and very close to where our cabin is. Before cruising, we had made the extra effort to “re-learn the geography of the ship”, something essential, so you don’t waste a lot of time arguing about where you are and where you should be at the door of the elevators. This area is where the atrium starts and just forward, port, is our stateroom. We had gotten a last minute deal on a guaranteed oceanview stateroom and this was what we had been assigned. The fire door was closed and a crooked sign mounted on it said access would be available at 1330. It was now 1325 so I decide to wait. Out come a couple of officers and then, the golf pro. It is now past 1330 and after a brief conversation with the friendly golfer who invites us to come up and meet him later, he jokes that yes, the door had been opened but was shut again and it was not his decision to open it. It’s now 1340 and still no open door to my stateroom! Looking around the corner, I note that lines are moving quickly at the center. I walk around the corner and low and behold, a bold sailor passenger was holding another fire door open and letting everyone in. I joined them and Halleluiah! here is my home for the next week: E#46. Time to unwrap the bubbly and take inventory of the contents of our palace for the next 5 days. One of the 2 glasses is dirty…so in goes the ice bucket for a quick wash along with the glasses. The one bottle of water and the soft drinks, tray and all documentation are removed and hidden and a note is left for the steward that we will not be drinking these items, so please do not charge us for them. They had refused to remove them on previous sails so we just learned to get them out of the way.

The beds are stuck together…not a good thing so out comes my sticky heart shape pink notes and sharpie, requesting the beds be split and the ice chest be filled daily. The notes are posted on the mirror for our room steward. There are no refrigerators in any of the oceanviews staterooms of the Ecstasy. There are no blow dryers either on the Ecstasy. Unfortunately, the window is so dirty that we can barely see out of it… we joke that DH’s mini squeegee won’t be of much use. It is a standard part of his traveling list. The glass of the frame over the bed is also full of unknown specks: out come the mini bottle of alcohol and the Lysol spray travel size to clean and disinfect these undesirable areas.

The Mongolian Grill had received some poor reviews from many but I wanted to try it so up to the Lido deck we go and this is the shortest line we will have found here all week. Negara is from Indonesia and one of the cooks here. He was all smiles and we chatted about Bali, his home town for a bit, while he was working. You create your plate with a choice of different noodles and vegetables and he adds the sauce you want, either Schezuan (hottest, Thai barbecue or black bean and the meat you want, a choice of chicken, beef or shrimp. Today would be the only time we saw shrimp at the Mongolian Grill; the other times, there was calamari instead.

I really enjoyed my bowl of very hot and spicy Asian food. Perhaps because it was prepared by such an amicable guy! The French bread was unbelievably stale, however but perfect, if you dipped it in the sauce.

mg0.jpg

mg1.jpg

mg2.jpg

mg4.jpg

M&M Flop

It was almost time for our unofficial meet and greet so off we went to the Metropolis bar. This bar is also called the Metro bar, something undisclosed anywhere on the maps; it turned out to be a frustrating search for me and another lady asking everyone where the Metro bar was so she could play the trivia announced in the Capers.

We waited for about 15 minutes and nobody from our roll call showed. Disappointed, we went on to our muster station. What great relief to see that we didn’t have to drag and wear those nasty smelling life jackets.

There is your wonderfully detailed review!! Love the beret!!:)

The beret was the smallest hat I had. DH would not let me wear the other atrocity I own. We haven't even left port and I am still going at it. Will post more later.

Questions are welcome.

“Formalities” a store that rents tuxedoes, and sells specialty items such as birthday cakes and champagne for special occasions is open before sailaway. We purchased a tumbler and were charged sales tax because we were still in port along with the 15% gratuity even though this was a store purchase. BTW, a bottle of Chandon that we purchased in Houston for $14.99 was $46. if purchased from Formalities.

The Rolls-Royce café serves wonderful pastries and great coffee. DH had a piece of streusel cake that was filled with nuts and excellent for $2.78 again we were in port so 8.25% tax and of course the 15% gratuity. It doesn’t look like much but it all adds up.

Muster Station A is located in the Blue Sapphire lounge. We arrive promptly at 1520 thinking it will start at 1530. Rachelle, a member of the entertainment team is on stage, asking everyone to please slide towards the center and fill all the seats since we will soon have over a thousand people in this room.

drill.jpg

She repeats several times that everyone except the physically challenged will need to go up on deck later after the drill for more instructions.

Finally, after a long wait, at 1605, the safety briefing starts. At one point, dear Rachelle got impatient with the “yappers” and told everyone (yes, by now the place was jam packed with the promised thousand) that if we didn’t shut up, she would come down and tell us to do so and that she was not at all afraid to do this…At the end, glory be! Rachelle informs us that nobody needs to go on deck. Why the change of heart? This indicated a bit of a lack of communication and coordination.

Unfortunately Carnival seems to enjoy doing their muster drill at the same time as sailaway. (That’s one for RCI and NCL). Leaving the dock at the start of a vacation should be a time to celebrate with drinks and line dancing. This time, though, we left late and we wondered what happened. Nobody ever made the announcement as to why we left an hour and a half later. Our luggage was in the room when we returned and my 2 TSA locks were untouched.

We didn’t make it to the dining room, that night…too much streusel cake, probably. We had dinner at the buffet and enjoyed more of that stale bread, some decent but barely warm sirloin roast and a delightful fennel and pineapple salad along with a slice of pizza and cesar dressing from the pizza bar for my greens.

Everyone including the Indian cook was absorbed watching some game on TV.

We walked around the ship for a little while and checked out the shops, the rolls and the Harley. We finally got to meet our stateroom attendant, Dony from Indonesia. He was another very nice and quiet crew member. Our towel animal was waiting for us along with tomorrow’s capers. The eyes of our elephant were made with pieces of capers.

day2_19.jpg

Coffee is not that great and all they had was Lipton tea. The Rolls Royce café opens at 0700 and if you buy a Carnival coffee mug, you get a free cappuccino. I bought several mugs and had an excellent cappuccino daily instead of the brown water.

The second day was just about as cold as the first but it was cloudy too. This would not be a pool day, unfortunately. We had breakfast outside, on the Lido deck, partially shielded from the cold and the wind. The Panorama bar and grill was jam packed and so were the tables in the corridor between it and the pool.

Here are some photos of the breakfast served on the Lido deck.

day2_1.jpg

day2_2.jpg

day2_3.jpg

day2_4.jpg

Note the 2 jars of sugar free Smuckers jam.

There is more variety if you check out all the islands inside at the buffet and there is a particular nutty breakfast cake and very dark bread that I enjoyed. There are 2 omelet stations and they even use Pam If you want no oil in your omelet. There was a major population of Asian passengers on this cruise and they enjoyed the hard or semi hard boiled eggs. Interesting that the ladies would eat at one table and the men at another!

Hey girl! Nice review & pics. (Friend from WW). I still need to email you. I can't wait for our cruise.

Thanks Yep, I remember you. DH even remembers you from when you came to the Porter WW. He said you joined the same day you did, with a brand new baby.

Good to hear from you! When is your cruise again?

Can you tell, I am into the FOOD?

This is one long and tedious process. At this rate, with all the pictures I want to post, I should be through in about 3 weeks. I haven't moved from this pc all day.

The wonderful Philadelphia cream cheese packets are no more. This must be a cost cutting measure. Here is the blob of white stuff that replaces it. I am sure that it must have some taste when it is first piped in to the little ramekin but after refrigeration, not only is it as hard as a brick but it has no flavor. I wonder if this is fleet wide.

day2_20.jpg

I remembered this yellow mustard to but was hoping that they might have upgraded by now. It’s still there and there is not one bottle of Dijon to be found on this ship. I don’t think this is fleet wide.

day2_9.jpg

Another nonexistent feature at the buffet is a peppermill. On the Conquest, peppermills are everywhere, including at each dining table. On this ship, it is hardly available at the even in the dining room.

Great review and pics, Fighterone! More? ;)

Thanks Ginag! :D

When I saw all these long paragraphs written in boring arial font, I thought oh nobody is gonna want to read this c***! I am going on though because, I guess for you and me, these are memories that we relive and will have to enjoy as long as CC doesn't archive them.

I regret not taking down more notes, and more pictures now, being the lousy photographer that I am. :(

I am off today and still under the weather so this is a good opportunity to relive the fun times of that week. Hope to get to Progreso by tonight.

The Lido deck

After breakfast, I spoke with a couple of crew members. After embarkation, I had noticed that one young Asian who was sweeping was from Myanmar. DH was interested to find out how Carnival would ever be able to recruit someone from this “interlocked” (to say the least) country.

Today, I noticed that 2 of them were polishing the brass at the edge of each step leading to the chess game and to the verandah deck. When I started to talk with one of them, her friend immediately showed up. There were 17 crew members from Myanmar on the ship and this gal could not wait to promote to becoming an assistant to the stateroom attendant. Her contract didn’t end for another few months she said and Carnival would defray the cost of her trip home. When she promoted, however, she would have to cover the cost of the airfare back home. I enjoyed talking with them but the conversation ended rather abruptly when a male crew member summoned one of them to come with him. This is unusual, DH remarked. They usually do not stop the crew from speaking with passengers.

day2_7.jpg

day2_8.jpg

Notice how there is not one person laying out! These guys are so cold that they have their hands in their pockets while playing chess.

Gym

After breakfast, we checked out the spa and the gym. I had brought 3 exercise outfits and wore only one during this cruise…This was a last minute decision and we didn’t have our gym clothes on but who cares! With a comfy pair of capris and a matching shirt, I decided to do something I always enjoy: a little cardio on the bike while watching a giant screen on CNN and some resistance training using machines which were extremely popular with a group of teenagers. The cardio equipment by Life Fitness was plentiful and most of it worked fine. The resistance training equipment is state of the art and only one was out of commission.

day2_21.jpg

The towels and disinfectants are plentiful in the gym, and all the tables used by the crew for consultations and sales are covered with beautiful batik sarong material from Indonesia.

We had already been put through the mill of a hard sale by a Slovakian trainer on RCI, to reduce our body fat content and cleanse with Elemis products, no doubt great products for the UK but at an outrageous cost.

We didn’t book any classes such as yoga or anything that has a cost attached to it. These classes fill up fast though and if you no-show there is a fee charged to the S&S.

The locker room includes nice big shower stalls, big towels, changing areas, a steam room and a sauna. You get a key to a locker in exchange for your S&S at the entrance to the spa. I enjoyed those features and found them very relaxing. Too bad, DH couldn't have joined me.

Lunch

Aft of the Panaroma Grill (PG) , is a long continuous bar which includes an area for pizzas, the sandwich bar and a liquor bar with a few bar stools; there is a flat screen TV port side and starboard; they both have sound and just add to the loudness of the dishes clinging at the waiters'stations and the happy chit chatting of the passengers. A back door on each side leads to a small area with tables and chairs. It was so cold this morning that only the starboard area was set up with chairs.

Around lunch, every table was packed, once again, so we set up 2 chairs on the aft balcony, port side. This seemed to displease the waiter at his dirty dishes station immediately inside the door. No wonder, it was so cold that he didn’t like the idea of having to come out there and clean up after us. I brought our trays in to him and cleaned up the table quickly, unable to stand the wind and the cold. DH found a table immediately inside the door, starboard (almost as windy with the constant opening and closing of the door and certainly not much warmer). Choices are numerous, pepperoni, cheese, capriciosa, chevre…, and the parmesan is grated fresh. There is also oregano and chili to sprinkle. They also serve calzone and Cesar salad. It takes 7 minutes to bake a fresh pizza and the wait is worth it.

I wanted to try the Thai barbecue or black bean sauce at the Mongolian Grill but the line was at least a mile long. They really need to consider altering the format of this particular area. Maybe give folks a number or a slip, was one suggestion from DH. I don't know about you but when cruising, I have places to go and people to see so waiting in long lines is not my favorite thing to do.

We did the rounds to see the different types of foods offered. Today’s taste of the nations lunch was Caribbean. The main buffet station in the PG starboard side was set up to serve different dishes, including jerk chicken and fried plantain.

The frozen chocolate fat free yogurt is fine if you are on a diet…rather watery but something good and low cal for a change. Of course, there are plenty of spa selections available in the dining room and there is always one desert that is sugar and or fat free.

Great Salads!day2_25.jpg

Great Desserts!

day2_26.jpg

day2_27.jpg

Your review is great so far. Keep it coming. :)

Thank you Houstoncruiser2007, for the kind words.

I plan on completing this during my free time. Today is one of those days but tomorrow, it's back to the salt mines and my 60th birthday so this gal will be walking the plank...at night for sure.

This is a personal challenge something I promised myself I would do after reading Falckor's review of the Pride, and enjoying it so much, even though I will probably never cruise on that ship. I decided to adopt his format, despite all the literary and technical challenges I face in addition to the sometimes very harsh criticism we all face...not only from some "cruise critics" but even from some members of my family.

Yes, Fighterone, the cream cheese is the same on the Conquest. I noticed that too and was going to mention this to you. No flavor whatsoever!!

Gee sista, not only do we think alike but we taste alike! Seriously, is this a battle worth fighting? I gave up on the mustard and just started carrying my own. Maybe I just need to start carrying my own Neufchatel too. No wonder I need 5 suitcases.

I am a firm believer in constructive criticism and I don't know if RCI is doing this but if not, packaged cream cheese would be one for RCI. Ona different note, though, Carnival still has trays at the beginning of the buffet lines, something RCI did not have anymore when we cruised on the VOS. I had been told that this was a cost cutting measure from RCI so the food trays is one up for Carnival...just trying to even out that scale for those of us who tend to weigh the differences between the cruise lines.

I have to mention the mustard. The only place I found Dijon mustard on the Conquest was at the hamburger/hotdog grill( located aft in the adult swimming area). It was not in a bottle, but a small bowl (ramekin). There may have been other places, but I did not see it. Of course, plenty of regular mustard on all the tables. We'll have to check it out on our May 2nd sailing!!

Sorry to keep commenting F1, just seems like I remember all this stuff when you bring it up! That's why I love your reviews! ;)

Sorry to keep commenting F1, just seems like I remember all this stuff when you bring it up! That's why I love your reviews! ;)

It's really a bloody shame that we were on different ships out of the same port almost at the same time...Keep commenting please!

Thanks Yep, I remember you. DH even remembers you from when you came to the Porter WW. He said you joined the same day you did, with a brand new baby.

Good to hear from you! When is your cruise again?

Can you tell, I am into the FOOD?

This is one long and tedious process. At this rate, with all the pictures I want to post, I should be through in about 3 weeks. I haven't moved from this pc all day.

Yes, and my * baby * is 4 years old today. Sniff, he is growing so fast. DH & I cruise mid October on the Conquest. I am excited to try the food. Enjoying the continued review & pictures.

During our lunch by the back door that kept opening and closing, we spoke with an assistant waiter and he told us about his wages: $75 a month plus the gratuities that are split among the staff. He was going home at the end of this trip and couldn’t wait to see his family and his girl friend. He was 25 years old and the main supporter of the family.

I saw a senior officer walking around the grill and advancing towards us. I asked one of the waiters who he was and he said, “Captain”. He asked him to come over and we introduced ourselves. Every captain I have ever met has been personable and outgoing. I can understand not shaking hands because of all the disease but this guy was just not at all friendly. The vibes even transmitted during his introduction of his staff, that night. I Have never met an Italian I didn't like but thumbs down to this one! We saw him several times after this, walking around "like he owned the ship"... and we never witnessed him communicating with anyone. I was so turned off that I didn’t even ask to have my picture taken with the ole’man. He is the one holding the microphone

Here is a rather poor quality photo of him (Domenico Cilento) and of some of his senior officers taken that evening. The cruise director, Steve Cassel (not seen here) made up for this guy's shortcomings. He was one heck of a nice feller'.

For the first time ever, I attended a good portion of the Fun Ashore Talk and listened to Steve’s positive comments about Progreso, our first port. Of course, the pitch is designed to sell excursions through the cruise line, something we found unnecessary in Progreso. I can only recall a sorry title to a thread that I read on CC a while back, “Progreso is a Dump” and found this to be an untrue comment from the op. You can judge for yourself later, fter seeing the pictures and observations I post.

Yes, and my * baby * is 4 years old today. Sniff, he is growing so fast. DH & I cruise mid October on the Conquest. I am excited to try the food. Enjoying the continued review & pictures.

DH remembered you and baby so well! Small world! You are going on that ship the day after our 37th anniversary. Wish we could join you but I have a work related trip that week. Thanks for the good words.

Here is the photo of Captain Domenico that should have been included in my previous post.

The glass eagle statue is a trophy that the Ecstasy won for the past couple of years for the most positive feedback from passengers on the comment cards, I believe. More later about these comment cards.

The ship’s casino was deserted and so was the most of the public areas. This was the afternoon of the captain’s party and after meeting him, we had no desire to attend. This was elegant night so we went back to the room, took a nap and had to kick ourselves to go eat.

We had “my time” dining assigned at the Windstar dining room and were pleasantly surprised when the hostess said that she had tables for 2. We really enjoyed this part. This was the first time ever that we were able to sit at a table for 2 in 3 cruises (without friends) on the Ecstasy.

What a nice change! I have worked with the public all my life and if I am not cruising with my friends, I have no desire to sit and converse with strangers that I have nothing in common with and neither does DH. We were served much faster than the other times we cruised, when we were assigned a seating time. There was no remarkable difference in the food or service. This is the only way to go, we decided, since we have much more freedom and don’t feel so rushed.

The appetizers, soups and main courses tend to be fairly standard at dinner in the dining room and we have tried many different dishes, sometimes 2 at a time so we know what we like, most of the time, just with a quick glance of the menu. I have taken many pictures of the beautiful presentations of the plated food that Carnival serves. Here is what we had for dinner.

The bread was no longer stale as it had been that first day! The names of the waiters are now well displayed at the table.

day2_10.jpg

Stuffed mushrooms... ordinary! not very tasteful, they look better than they tasted

day2_11.jpg

The lobster tail is always great! I could have eaten more but decided to diversify and order the grouper for a change instead of 2 of these.

day2_13.jpg

The grouper was very good! Very delicate tasting and very fresh!

day2_16.jpg

The cheese plate normally comes with slices of gouda, blue, brie and another chees but I favor brie and was pleased when the waiter offered to bring just brie. I was quite disappointed at seeing mostly the crust of the brie, yellow and a bit ripe, instead of the usual nice big pieces they served in the past.

day2_17.jpg

The bitter and blanc is a classic and a good alternate to the chocolate melting cake.

day2_15.jpg

We purchased a bottle of Pouilly Fuisse to accompany our meal. It was a $36 bottle before the 15% gratuity.

It was during dinner that we first spoke to Chef Suresh about the Chef’s Table, a unique event that would occur once during this cruise and would be for only 12 people. After dinner, the maître d' accepted my reservation and announced that I would be the 12th person so DH could not attend. He was disappointed of course.

After dinner, we walked around a bit and donated a few coins in the BMW casion slots. They are 2 cents slots but in order to have a crack at that BMW, you have to put in $1.80 for each spin.

The casino was deserted and so were most of the public areas except for the Blue Sapphire lounge with its show, Extreme Country. DH even remarked that it felt like we were on a ghost ship.

We stopped and watched the show for a few minutes but it was very loud, even from the upper level and the room was very dark so you couldn’t have found an empty seat or two together. We went back to our room to find our animal towel, the ice chest full of ice and our capers for the next day.

I was disappointed at the weather and didn’t know it yet but it would continue to be cold the rest of the cruise with the exception of a couple of hours while in Cozumel. Bummer! I had never been on a cruise where we couldn't get in the pool or sunbathe on the Lido because it was unpleasantly chilly.

Tomorrow, Progreso, a great town, Le Saint Bonnet...that supposedly famous restaurant... and The Chef's Table!

My forgotten towel from day one

day2_31.jpg

Here is one of the few alcoholic beverages we ordered on this cruise. Add 15% to $36.

day2_30.jpg

We are now about 06:30 a.m. the morning of day 3 and I run up to the Lido deck to capture a picture of the dock and longest pier in the world.

The round building, Cinco Soles, is a great place to shop and they had a great sale on my favorite brand of cologne, Hermes, about 30% cheaper than in Cozumel!

Oday3_1a.jpg

After breakfast, we decide to go walk the town and are greeted by a loud invisible band. The music was upbeat too!

day3_2.jpg

Now, for the suggestion box at the dock and for a bit of local flavor by the restrooms:

day3_3.jpg

So sorry for this poor palm tree! These are the details that some notice and remember

day3_4.jpg

Archived