Lunch in the dining room ?

39august

Yes - only on sea days. And usually once (or twice on longer cruises) there will be a fancy buffet brunch in the dining room instead. At that buffet they usually have pasta and salad bars as well as lots of other foods. Other than that there is not normally a salad bar or pasta bar in the dining room - but there is one in the normal buffet area of the ship.

It's completely different and whether it's better is just your preference. I've found some really good dishes at lunch in the MDR and some not so good. Being able to sit and be served without feeling you need to hurry so someone else can be seated is the main difference. You meet new people this way as well unless you want a table for two.

The MDR buffet is really not a lot different than the regular buffet except they have breakfast and lunch combined. They have a few extra fluorishes such as a chocolate fountain for dipping fruit but you can get almost the same food in the buffet area.

Larry, I haven't been to the MDR lunch buffet. Can you tell me, is it significantly different/better than what's found daily in the regular buffet area?

Thanks,

Jane

Frankly, on some cruises it has been better and on some not. As MaBell (Hi MaBell!!) said they have breakfast and lunch items - just like a nice Sunday Brunch at a hotel. On our last cruise we didn't think it was as nice as on some prior cruises and skipped it the second time around - found the best thing about the brunch was that it left the upstairs buffet very uncrowded.

Plus you get to walk around with a plate of food while people bump into you. Not my thing.

Dit-to!

On the Infinity last summer it was so crowded in the MDR we during the buffet that we left and went upstairs where it was peaceful and relaxing. Of course it was not the fancy spectacle but there was at least some breathing room, and lord knows I get enough pretty food in the rest of the cruise! LOL!

No one should miss this spectacle.Watch the people fight for food, take a lot , then don't eat it all. Plus you get to walk around with a plate of food while people bump into you. Not my thing.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt like that! I've been twice & the phrase "cattle call' came to mind both times.

Seriously, if they could find a way to reduce the mayhem, they do offer a wide variety of breakfast & lunch food that does look delicious!

I wish they would return to having the dining room open just about everyday for lunch, instead of just sea days.

We had the opposite experience at the MDR brunch. We arrived later on (it was open for three hours) and had difficulty finding seats, the tables were all dirty, and the food was all picked over/cold and not being replaced. Very cattle call. I was not impressed - I would never go again.

Lunch in MDR is a wonderful experience, though. No salad or pasta bars, but the menus are different every day and it's a pleasure to be served. Try it at least once.

Yes - only on sea days. And usually once (or twice on longer cruises) there will be a fancy buffet brunch in the dining room instead. At that buffet they usually have pasta and salad bars as well as lots of other foods. Other than that there is not normally a salad bar or pasta bar in the dining room - but there is one in the normal buffet area of the ship.

I was quite sure that we had lunch in the MDR during a San Juan stop on the Millenium three years ago. In fact we seemed to use the MDR most days on that cruise and we only had 2 sea days.

Anyway I will take more notice at the end of this month when we are on the Solstice.

Archived