Doubletree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay ??

zandk

Is this hotel as pretty as it looks in pictures?

Is the bayview balconies worth the extra money?

Thanks for any help.

Yes it is and yes they are......We just stayed there in December and loved it...

Great hotel! I stayed there for business, not cruising:( and the room was great, the bathroom was better and the view was fabulous. The bar/dining room in the lobby was good, or walk 2-3 blocks to Biscayne and 18th and try Bin 18 for great food and a wonderful beer and wine selection. The only negative was that parking was valet only at $29/day - ouch!:mad: Good thing my company paid for that! Good luck!:)

Thanks rushedmom, JohninDC and RichNY for the replies! We are looking forward to our first visit to Miami and staying at this hotel.

Did any of you walk to the Bayside Market?

You can walk or take the Metromover - it's free and you are very close to the Omni station.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover.asp

Could anyone tell me how this hotel compares with the Marriot, next door. I have stayed there several times with a room overlooking the port harbor. How are the views from the Doubletree and which are the best rooms to book for cruise ships views? Thank you for any ideas. :)

Could anyone tell me how this hotel compares with the Marriot, next door. I have stayed there several times with a room overlooking the port harbor. How are the views from the Doubletree and which are the best rooms to book for cruise ships views? Thank you for any ideas. :)

Pooh:

I have not stayed at Marriott, but I would imagine the views are very similar if you get the bay view rooms at either one. Marriott is on the closest side to the port. Last time we stayed at Doubletree we were upgraded to a fantastic room with large balconies on two sides and floor to ceiling windows. It was a great way to start our trip.

I would go with best price or point option if you have some.

We have booked a condo suite for a pre-cruise stay in October. Does anyone know if there are any liquor stores within walking distance?

Hi Lori:

If you take the metro mover which you can walk to easily from hotel, you can get off in town and there are a couple that I know of. Problem is, I know one was on a corner, but have no idea WHICH corner! :eek: Sorry. We found out just by asking once we got there.

Also, do the metro mover during day time and all is well. Would not do it at night. It is free and while you are out and about, hop off at Bayside and explore there as well.

Come to think of it, and I may be wrong, but there may be a liquor store in the little shops at the Doubletree. I know they sold wine and beer. I bet if you call hotel they can tell you about that and probably the other one too.

Have fun!

Hi Lori:

Also, do the metro mover during day time and all is well. Would not do it at night. It is free and while you are out and about, hop off at Bayside and explore there as well.

What is the problem with riding the metro mover at night? Is the hotel in a bad area? I am doing all of the travel planing and don't want to hear from everyone how I messed the hotel up.

What is the problem with riding the metro mover at night? Is the hotel in a bad area? I am doing all of the travel planing and don't want to hear from everyone how I messed the hotel up.

I have never had any problem with riding the MetroMover at night.

I don't know if the posters who suggest night time is dangerous - and surely, we are talking about evening here, not 3am or 4am - really have first hand experience or are just making assumptions.

In my opinion it is just like any large downtown area. Would you ride the city bus/subway at night in Atlanta, New York City, etc.? There might be some questionable characters on the Metromover at night. If you are game...go for it. My husband and I never do it. A cab is your safest bet at night.

Downtown Miami is great! Just take precaution just like you would in any large urban city.

Personal experience here. Hotel is not in bad neighborhood but it is like a typical large city downtown. Last time I rode metro at night - with my husband - drugged out homeless looking guy was on with us as well as other folks and yelling rap.

This could happen anytime but typically people like this show up after dark. This has been my firsthand experience, not an assumption, and I was not comfortbable in this train car with this guy. The other folks on there were anxious to get off as well. I am accustomed to travelling in large cities. I beleive you should use good judgment anytime you are downtown but especially in the evening. This was dark and around 6:30 p.m. Won't go again at night. If I choose to go out at that time, I would travel over on metro in daylight and take cab back to hotel.

I appreciate all replies. I know it can be uncomfortable to admit the truth in this day and time of PC, trying not to offend anyone. I have never been to Miami before, so I am trusting in others such as yourself and/or any reviews that I can find. I've been finding several mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, more negative than positive, about this hotel. I'm thinking most of the negative reviews were posted by people who stayed in the regular rooms. We have booked one of the condo suites. I'm hoping we'll have a good stay. I've been considering finding another hotel.

In 1998, I booked a room online in Washington DC. The internet was pretty new back then, therefore all I could go on was a written description and price (that should have been my first clue, honestly). We arrived at the motel and it appeared to be the type of place that only rented their rooms by the hour. We quickly pulled out and found another hotel that appeared more along the lines of what we were use to. To this day, I'm still nervous about booking hotel rooms.

In my opinion it is just like any large downtown area. Would you ride the city bus/subway at night in Atlanta, New York City, etc.? .

Yes, I have no hesitation riding the subway any time of the day or evening when I visit New York. There are all sorts of different people in the subway cars (and not just after dark) and I appreciate that one can never predict what someone else will do, but you'd have to be pretty unlucky to witness any problem, let alone be harmed by it, given the size of the system. I've been a lot more scared by the way some taxi drivers drive - taxi crashes are not unknown ...

Yes, I have no hesitation riding the subway any time of the day or evening when I visit New York. There are all sorts of different people in the subway cars (and not just after dark) and I appreciate that one can never predict what someone else will do, but you'd have to be pretty unlucky to witness any problem, let alone be harmed by it, given the size of the system. I've been a lot more scared by the way some taxi drivers drive - taxi crashes are not unknown ...

Condo Owner: That was some great info for cruisers. Thanks!

Jolly: You are correct in that one can never predict any time of day who you will be riding with, but it has been my first hand experience that there is usually more of the "different" type in a fearful way at night. When I said this fellow was shouting rap, it was loud, loud, loud and laced with f words, violence, and other critical comments about different types of people. THAT was enough to cure me. Very angry young man mixed with drugs or alcohol is not good. May I also say so that all will be well in pc land, I love all types of music. Nothing against rap until it crosses the profanity/violence line.

Also, at least I can tell a taxi driver to stop and let me off whenever I want. We were stuck in the car with this one fellow. Oh yes, there have been others that are in their own world and drugged up or stoned or drunk, but I guess you had to be there to "feel" the experience of this ride.

We all have our own opinions and that is good. This is just mine.

Archived