May 16, all tours seemed booked, what to do?

motherchic

We are arriving on the Brilliance on May 16. I have tried 4 private tour co. recommended on here. They are all booked. Due to the Formula 1 and film festival.

Please Any suggestions.

Thought we would like to see Eze and Nice.

I am really stuck and could use some help.

Thank you much

Nadine

Nadine, There is much good to say about seeing both Eze and Nice (both wonderful places for a port visit). So, why don't you just go? There is no European law that says you must be on a tour to visit Europe and this region is very doable on your own. One caveat is that May 16 is a Sunday and you should give that some consideration in your planning. Many shops are closed on Sunday, particularly in some downtown parts of Nice. However, Eze is normally a great place to be on Sundays, but because of its location relatively close to Monte Carlo we are not sure how this will impact on Eze on the day of the Monte Carlo Grand Prix. One specific concern would be that the regional bus line that runs to Eze from Nice also goes to Monte Carlo which will be a virtual zoo due to the race. Nice, on the other hand, should be fine that day and you might want to rush to Nice as early as possible (before noon) so that you can enjoy the Sunday Flower Market. Another great place to visit on Sundays is St Paul de Vence (more difficult to get to on your own) which is one of our favorite places in the entire region.

Hank

I do not know at what port you are arriving, but Nice is easy to get around by yourself, and, in addition to the lovely flower market mentioned by Hank, there is the wonderful Chagall Museum plus a Matisse Museum, all on bus lines or an easy taxi ride. The bus from there to Eze runs quite often.

I suggest you get a copy of Rick Steves' Provence and the French Riviera, which provides practical information on getting to all of these places, plus great one-hour tours of the major sights.

When we visit just a few days before you in May, we will travel DIY. We will start the day at the flower market, go to the Chagall Museum and then take the bus to Eze.

Good luck!

BTW, have you tried your roll call? Very often people on your cruise will be looking for others to fill their private tours to reduce the costs for everyone.

Archived