Advice on rental car drop off needed please

w8ing2cruz

Okay - so we have a large vehicle rented for our party of six to get from Orlando to the Radisson in Port Canaveral. On the morning of our cruise should we have oneor two or us drop everyone else (and luggage) at the ship and then return the car or should we all return the car together and schlep six of us and our luggage to the ship?

Are there security checkpoints that would be a hassle to drop the majority off at the pier?

For sure drop everyone and all the luggage at the port, then one or two of you bring the rental back to the airport and take the free shuttle back to the port. If the wait it too long for the shuttle, then grab a taxi (it's cheap from the the airport to the port).

For sure drop everyone and all the luggage at the port, then one or two of you bring the rental back to the airport and take the free shuttle back to the port. If the wait it too long for the shuttle, then grab a taxi (it's cheap from the the airport to the port).

I guess I'm a bit confused. I've never sailed out of Port Canaveral, but I do live in Orlando so I'm familiar with the area. If the OP plans to spend the night in the Port Canaveral area, I really hope they don't plan to drive back to the Orlando airport to return the rental car. Surely there is somewhere around Canaveral or Cocoa Beach to return the car?

I agree with the advice of dropping everyone (and bags) off at the port before returning the car, assuming you aren't returning the car to OIA. If you have to go all the way back to OIA to return the rental, I would suggest you just stay the night in Orlando and everyone in the group catch a shuttle to the port the morning of the cruise.

My thoughts are different. All of the rentals, Hertz, Avis, Budget, Thrifty/Dollar and Enterprise are near the hotel. The port can be crazy and I think it is easier to let them take you to the port together. The shuttles get right through and the traffic can back up. I promise it will take less time to do it this way. Take it from a local!

We dropped off our car and then took the shuttle to the port. The shuttle was there and ready for us. We used budget and the only problem was there was quite a line with those coming off cruises trying to pick-up cars. Once we said we were just dropping off they let us leave the keys. There really should have been 2 lines. There was no problem with the bill. Everything was charged correctly. It really was only a minor inconvenience especially since the shuttle was waiting for us. I would still use budget again. They had the best price at the time.

My thoughts are different. All of the rentals, Hertz, Avis, Budget, Thrifty/Dollar and Enterprise are near the hotel. The port can be crazy and I think it is easier to let them take you to the port together. The shuttles get right through and the traffic can back up. I promise it will take less time to do it this way. Take it from a local!

Thanks so much Preston! That makes a lot of sense and sounds WAY easier! Hopefully their shuttles are big enough for our group of six and luggage :D

Flying into Orlando MCO at 8:47am. Checking the prices of rentals now. Thrifty has a Hyundai for just over 41.00. (Oddly coming back it is 33.00?) We are two adults, two carry ons and two largish suitcases.

Questions...Will we fit in the Hyundai? Do we pick the car up right there at the airport? Do you really need the extra coverage they want to sell us? How do we get from the car drop off (which is near Cape Canaver, i hope?) to the pier? I hear talk of a shuttle. Does each car rental have one and if so are they free and how far is it? BTW Budget was at 69.00. That is just one way.

Can you tell i am trapped in today in the snow/ice storm? Dreaming of The Dream :) Any help is appreciated.

Flying into Orlando MCO at 8:47am. Checking the prices of rentals now. Thrifty has a Hyundai for just over 41.00. (Oddly coming back it is 33.00?) We are two adults, two carry ons and two largish suitcases.

Questions...Will we fit in the Hyundai? Do we pick the car up right there at the airport? Do you really need the extra coverage they want to sell us? How do we get from the car drop off (which is near Cape Canaver, i hope?) to the pier? I hear talk of a shuttle. Does each car rental have one and if so are they free and how far is it? BTW Budget was at 69.00. That is just one way.

Can you tell i am trapped in today in the snow/ice storm? Dreaming of The Dream :) Any help is appreciated.

The Hyundai will fit. Throw some in the back seat. Most credit cards cover the insurance, check with them. After you see the ship on your left you will come into the town of Cape Canaveral and Thrifty is about a mile or so on the right. They will shuttle you to/from the ship.

Okay - so we have a large vehicle rented for our party of six to get from Orlando to the Radisson in Port Canaveral. On the morning of our cruise should we have oneor two or us drop everyone else (and luggage) at the ship and then return the car or should we all return the car together and schlep six of us and our luggage to the ship?

Are there security checkpoints that would be a hassle to drop the majority off at the pier?

While everyone has good ideas, I wouldn't do any of them.

I would drive the 'large vehicle' to Port Canaveral and check into the Radisson. Immediately return the 'large vehicle' to the local 'large vehicle' office.

On the morning of your cruise, board the free shuttle that the Radisson provides to cruise passengers and forget your troubles!!

Thanks Preston, Is there a Thrifty counter at Orlando airport? Is their shuttle free? Last question...for the moment :rolleyes: Why would they charge less for the rental back?

Opps thought of another question...how do we get them to pick us up when we disembark? Car rental virgin :D

• 3 weeks later...

Preston, I hate to flog a dead horse so to speak, but in your opinion it is easier go all together, drop the car at the rental agency and take their shuttle to the port with your luggage? Rather than dropping one person at the port first while the other drops off the car.

Thanks. That is what we will do then.

Julie:)

Archived