Porters or Not??

jmunson

Hi Everyone: I'm a newbie and have gleaned so much info from these boards. Thank you so much for sharing.

When you arrive at the Port with your luggage, must you turn it over to the Porters or can you take it to the ship yourself? Are they employees of the cruiseline? I have a horrible fear of never seeing my luggage again. Of course, nothing too valuable will be in the checked luggage, but I would like to have some clothes for the week? Would love your input.

If all you have is a carry on bag that fits through the xray scanner then you can definitely carry it on board yourself. Anything bigger must be turned over to the porters. Porters are not employees of the cruise line. They are employees of the port.

Hi Everyone: I'm a newbie and have gleaned so much info from these boards. Thank you so much for sharing.

When you arrive at the Port with your luggage, must you turn it over to the Porters or can you take it to the ship yourself? Are they employees of the cruiseline? I have a horrible fear of never seeing my luggage again. Of course, nothing too valuable will be in the checked luggage, but I would like to have some clothes for the week? Would love your input.

Your carry-on have to fit through the same scanner that are at the airports. Checked baggage must be given to the porters. The porters are not cruise line employees. Lock your bags.

The porters will get your stuff to the ship...a tip of $1-2 per bag is standard....you don't want to have to lug all of your stuff around until your cabin is ready (assuming you get there early!!!)

Bring anything of value or Rx's that you may need in a carry-on bags....

I've never worried about my bags getting from the porters to me...I DO worry about airlines losing my stuff, tho!

And a tip---cross-pack! Put something for each of you into each suitcase....just in case!!!

While there have been stories of luggage missing, or perhaps worse -- showing up at the cabin dripping wet because it fell into the sea between the dock and the ship...these stories are pretty rare. It's much more possible that the luggage will go missing thanks to the airlines, and never make it out of the airport!

I never take anything on vacation that is so valuable that I'd be distraught if it went missing..and anything that IS crucial -- like meds, camera, binoculars, etc. -- is in my carry on, which never leaves my hands. And "cross-packing" is an excellent idea. I usually have at least a change of undies in my carry-on, and my husband and I cross-pack (assuming we take two suitcases..which we don't often do.)

The porters will get your stuff to the ship...a tip of $1-2 per bag is standard....

Porters in most (if not all) U.S. ports are unionized Longshoremen earning very good salaries - a $0 tip is standard. They are being paid generously by their employer to take your luggage, put it on a cart, and push the card a few yards. If you have them do something extra it might be prudent to give them a little tip, but no need to tip them for simply taking your luggage for you as you arrive at the terminal. At the Port of Miami they earn $40 to $90 per hour (without tips) for doing this. Many of the U.S. ports have signs saying tipping is not required and some ports actually forbid the longshoremen from taking tips.

At the Port of Miami they earn $40 to $90 per hour (without tips) for doing this. Many of the U.S. ports have signs saying tipping is not required and some ports actually forbid the longshoremen from taking tips.

WOW i had NO IDEA...didnt realize this...we always tip in Miami/LA i am just afraid if we didnt that our luggage might end up missing or wet...THANKS for the info

WOW i had NO IDEA...didnt realize this...we always tip in Miami/LA i am just afraid if we didnt that our luggage might end up missing or wet...THANKS for the info

Many people do not realize this. Most people tip the longshoremen at ports thinking that they are the equivalent of bellmen at hotels or skycaps at airports. Some know they are earning six figure salaries, but tip them out of fear they will "lose" their luggage if they don't tip (more a bribe than a tip in this scenario). They are earning such an insane amount of money for pushing luggage a few yards on a cart, that none of them would risk their job by purposely losing or destroying someone's luggage - not worth it for them. I do think it is right to tip them if you have them do something extra (i.e. carry your luggage to a cab at the end of a cruise), but for simply handing them your luggage as you arrive at the terminal (which you are required to do unless it is carry-on sized) there is absolutely no reason/need to tip them. If someone wants to still tip them, of course that is fine, but people should know they receive very generous salaries and are not expected to be tipped for taking your luggage as you arrive.

Your bags must be small enough to fit through the scanners in the cruise terminal. That means no luggage over 19" to 22". If you enter the terminal for check in with your bags, and the employees see that your bags are too large, they will make you take them back outside to the porters. I saw this happen on a few of my recent cruises.

Archived