Isla Margarita

crisp1

Hi Kristina --

Everybody is saying I should ask you about excursions in Isla Margarita. I hesitated bothering you until now, because you seem to be very fair in that, if you haven't done something yourself, you tend to be very diplomatic and not give too strong of an opinion either way (which I completely respect).

However, I can't for the life of me fine any reviews of the excursions offered by Celebrity. Can you tell me anything about the White Sands of Coche, or the Cubagua sailing? Even if you know "general information" about either of these. We are not big shoppers and would like to get away from the ship a bit.

Any little bit will help. Thank you in advance for your time.

-- Darren

Hi, Darren. I'm happy to help anyone who I can. I try real hard to give non-biased opinions, since I do work at the port and can be looked upon as being biased. That's mainly why I won't give out my booth number. I've never recieved a sale from any cruise critics who did stop by, but I can see someone thinking that I would be abusing the forum's rules by doing so. I walk a fine line. :D

Let me see if I can help you. I have never been to either Coche or Cubagua Islands, but I have friends who have been there several times. Coche Island has hotels, nice beaches, quadrunners, water sports, entertainments, bars and such there. Lots of people from here and the mainland go there for the weekend. I know less about Cubagua Island, but from what I understand it is flat and deserted. You mainly walk up and down the beaches collecting shells. It's more of a nature trip. The beaches are just covered with shells. I see the Catamaran and the yaught come in every morning. They both are very nice. The Catamaran goes to El Coche and is more of a party boat and is crowded but fastive. The yaught is smaller, but nice with a more relaxed atmosphere about it. I believe both boats offer drinks and snacks with the trip. I'm sorry I cannot give you more information about it than that, but I hope that helps.

Kristina

My husband and I will be on the Celebrity Constelllation that docks in Isla de Margarita on Wednesday, January 11. I have not found a tour that I am interested in (Marcella is sold out). Is it easy to get taxis in the port? I think we may visit La Restinga National Park. Is it easy to get a taxi back and how much would this round trip cost? Would we better to rent a car? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Other nature site suggestions would be nice too.

Thanks - Donna

As far as I understand you have to walk out of the port complex before you can get a taxi.

When we took our ships' tour (in the pouring rain) it certainly felt as if it would be a heck of a long walk to get a taxi.

However, there were several people who looked to be tour guides sitting on a beach at the port. These were perhaps prebooked ones, I'm not sure.

One thing I do know - very few people on the island speak English. If you know Spanish you'll be fine.

Kristina,

You won't be back from the states in March? What is your mother's name. I would love to look her up and visit your booth. We are on Sun Princess and will visit Isla Margarita on March 14th. Alice

Hello Alice. My mother's name is Louise, but many there call her Luisa, or la madre de Kristina. (The mother of Kristina.) She's the lady with the BIG smile. :D

Kristina

My husband and I will be on the Celebrity Constelllation that docks in Isla de Margarita on Wednesday, January 11. I have not found a tour that I am interested in (Marcella is sold out). Is it easy to get taxis in the port? I think we may visit La Restinga National Park. Is it easy to get a taxi back and how much would this round trip cost? Would we better to rent a car? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Other nature site suggestions would be nice too.

Thanks - Donna

Like what was said before, you can get a taxi at the port. Car rentals are not available to rent there. The prices of the taxis from the port are terrible in my opinion. I feel like the taxi company is really taking advantage of the tourists by charging high prices because the port is so far away from everything. I have been on cruises and paid taxi prices on other islands, but never as much as they charge here. I feel that the company's prices shine a bad light on the island.

You can walk out of the port and down the road to catch a taxi or bus, but you would have to walk about 5 miles to the main road. To catch a taxi at the port, you'll need to walk along the main avenue where the vendors are until you reach a gate on the left side. There is a guy there, who speaks english, who'll get you a taxi. I don't know how much it would be to La Restinga exactly, but my guess is that it would be around $30. I know it costs that to Porlamar. I thought that was per taxi, but I heard from someone that it was per person. Maybe someone else on the forum can clear that up for me.

This is my suggestion, sign up for the La Restinga Tour through the ship. It's beautiful there, and I've heard many happy tourists talking about how they enjoyed it. If you go through the ship, then the ship won't leave without you. If you take a taxi, then you'll be on your own to get yourself back to the ship. There are taxis that hang out at La Restinga, but it's not definate that anyone would be there. This is one tour I like to suggest for people to take. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Sorry. I just saw that you wanted suggestions for other nature tours. If you are adventuresome there are jeep safari tours that go trekking through the desert side of the island. There is the Rumba on the Chivas which takes you around the island in a big party bus that plays loud music and serves you chiva liquior. If you don't do the La Restinga Tour, then I suggest you just take a tour that drives you around the island. The area where the port is is ugly, but there are some very pretty parts of the island. La Asuncion is beautiful. There is a tour that takes you to La Asuncion to a church. It's high on a hill with lots of greenery and is in the middle of a cute little town. I wouldn't care to see the church, but I do enjoy going to that area. It's not a nature tour, but you get to see a pretty part of the island. You can also take the boat to Cubagua island, where you can walk the beach and collect shells.

Kristina

Hi, Darren. I'm happy to help anyone who I can. I try real hard to give non-biased opinions, since I do work at the port and can be looked upon as being biased. That's mainly why I won't give out my booth number. I've never recieved a sale from any cruise critics who did stop by, but I can see someone thinking that I would be abusing the forum's rules by doing so. I walk a fine line. :D

Thanks so much for your help, Kristina. It's definitely more info that I had before. I just wish people that have done these excursions would get on here and let me know if they enjoyed it.

As I said, I completely appreciate your unbiased nature. Thanks so much for your help and maintaining a dignified posting.

I've never responded to any comments about the "Swimming With The Dolphins" excursion, because I've never personally taken the tour. I, too, hear conflicting comments. I have been to other similar dolphin tours on other islands, and I haven't found one yet that is up to U.S. standards. I cannot personally vouch for this one. I can tell you that the dolphin swimming area is inside an amusement park called "Diverland". It's not open all the time, just during "peak" seasons. It's a smaller park, with carnival type rides, but in a permanent area. The island just isn't big enough to financially support a larger amusement park, so I wouldn't be suprised if the dolphin area is a bit run down or not up to par like it should be. I personally think that their prices are high. That's why I haven't done it yet. I love dolphins, and I would hate to think that they are being mistreated in any way. I just don't know what people are basing their opinions on. I'm sorry I can't help any more than that.

Hi,

I have heard of conflicting comments as well like you klouised. I just wanted to write a little and mention a few things.

About 4 months ago I went to Waterland to speak to the person in charge about possibly adding this excursion to my own personal site. They went ahead and allowed my 4 children and myself to do the Sea Lion excursion so I could see for myself what's it all about. It was great and we had a great time they are very careful with the animals. We are suppose to do the Dolphin excursion too but couldn't as of yet because it's been high season.

In speaking with the owner he told me how they work with the animals and how close they are. He has even told me that those who have been training and working with their Dolphins and Sea Lion have done so for many years. He said they have 'ALL' had to take turns even sleeping with the dolphins in their area and their sea lion Sussy. They want the animals to feel loved and close to each one that is in daily contact with them.

They truly believe in Dolphin Therapy as well, he did tell me he has seen some famlies bring their kids that had problems and those that maybe didn't talk or walk much. He said that in a few days that the children would start talking to their parents, or those that could hardly walk take steps in doing so. They were so movtiated by the Dolphins and Sea Lions that their parents saw many improvments. He himself has been touched in a special way when he sees it all happening right in front of his eyes. Again this is what the owner told me when I asked him more about what WaterLand provides to everyone back in Oct. 05.

I mentioned all this to say that although I have not been in there to personally swim with the dolphins yet I will agree that some may not think it's up to par at all or from other places. I have never been to any other place with a Dolphin Excursion ...but the two times I went and was allowed to stay and watch right in the pool area...it seemed to me that everyone was truly enjoying themselves. :D

I am not allowed to book when there is a cruiseship on the island because the cruiseship does charge $109.00 per person, on off days which is when I booked it is less. Also when the cruiseship people are there the pool is full. Last time there was about 30 people at one time but they do provide an air conditioned bus to and from WaterLand for you.

When it was an off day there was allot more of one on one and it's not as full of course when there are cruiseship people there. Either way I also did not want to try to 'sell' anything on here as well but to let you know of what I have personally seen or experienced with the Dolphin Excursion.

A close friend of mine also has told me that WaterLand is thinking of as a very near future project to build a new facility for this excursion right at El Guamache. New pools will be built for the dolphins and maybe things will be more up to par with other places once it's finished.

either way I hope this helps some to know what it's like.

take care ~ and happy 2006 to you all.

marsha

Kristina!!! So sorry we missed you! We were there the other day - it was great and we never even left the port area! We did ask for you at several places but no one seemed to know you or was able to help us, I think I should have looked harder. I went to the Murano glass kiosk in the main builidng area - I found it quite by accident, figuring that I would stop and go thru the building portion of stalls first. They had several nice pieces and I was able to find a very large pineapple to add to my collection. The man in the shop gave me a piece of paper telling about their business and I'll have to scan it in and post it for those who are intersted. We loved Isla Margarita! We shopped and took pictures and sat at a bar and had a few cocktails. We admired the beach and would have gone there if we had more time. I bought several items in this port including two long strands of pearls, the Murano glass pineapple (the gent there gave me a small one too), lots of tshirts, hats, Cigars, cigar ashtray (a special aquisition from the bar), beautiful headbands with tiny dolls woven into them for my nieces, bracelets for $1 each, a different pottery style ashtray and a shotglass. I know we bought other things as well, cigarettes and vodka and all kinds of stuff. How refreshing it was to finally have a nice break, without a shore excursion, to shop and rest at leisure before reboarding the ship. By the way, we were forced to tender here, as several other ships beat us to the primo spots along the dock.

The local artisans were great, selling all kinds of things.

Music was being played "LIVE" - and the guy was great who was playing it

I wish I/we would have had time for the beach - looked nice and really inviting

Next time we visit - La Restinga for a full day - I could totally see us going back there -

WE LOVED IT!

Jackie, Thanks for your feedback! I'm sooo glad you had a great time. I know that you were pumped up for it. It means a lot that you weren't disapointed. The headbands you bought are handmade by this lady who is handycapped. This is her only income. If the cigars were bought up front off to the side, then that is my personal friend Fransisco. He hand rolls those, and he has NEVER gotten anything but compliments for his cigars. Isn't the Murano Glass great? I got to go see it up close the other day. I'm thinking of buying a piece for myself. You were there on the day we had 3 ships? I know what day you are talking about. I'm so sorry I missed you. It sure was busy that day. If you bought T shirts and hats, then you were probably very close to me. I hope to see you the next time!

Kristina

Kristina,

Thank you for all the great info. We are visiting in April. I had seen on a post that you could get a massage on the beach? Is this still available there? If so, how much do they charge?

Thanks kevin

Hi Kevin. Yes, there are two different places where you can get a massage. The first one is on the way to the beach on the right side, near the water. She has a booth that is covered, so you have a bit of privacy. Up front of the booth, she sells aloa vera and other natural esential oils. The second one is on the beach out in the open. I don't know what their prices are this year, but last year they were $15 a half hour. I don't know if that is a good price, but I do know that they both do great massages. They have had training, so they know what they are doing.

Kristina

Hi,

I have heard of conflicting comments as well like you klouised. I just wanted to write a little and mention a few things.

About 4 months ago I went to Waterland to speak to the person in charge about possibly adding this excursion to my own personal site. They went ahead and allowed my 4 children and myself to do the Sea Lion excursion so I could see for myself what's it all about. It was great and we had a great time they are very careful with the animals. We are suppose to do the Dolphin excursion too but couldn't as of yet because it's been high season.

In speaking with the owner he told me how they work with the animals and how close they are. He has even told me that those who have been training and working with their Dolphins and Sea Lion have done so for many years. He said they have 'ALL' had to take turns even sleeping with the dolphins in their area and their sea lion Sussy. They want the animals to feel loved and close to each one that is in daily contact with them.

They truly believe in Dolphin Therapy as well, he did tell me he has seen some famlies bring their kids that had problems and those that maybe didn't talk or walk much. He said that in a few days that the children would start talking to their parents, or those that could hardly walk take steps in doing so. They were so movtiated by the Dolphins and Sea Lions that their parents saw many improvments. He himself has been touched in a special way when he sees it all happening right in front of his eyes. Again this is what the owner told me when I asked him more about what WaterLand provides to everyone back in Oct. 05.

I mentioned all this to say that although I have not been in there to personally swim with the dolphins yet I will agree that some may not think it's up to par at all or from other places. I have never been to any other place with a Dolphin Excursion ...but the two times I went and was allowed to stay and watch right in the pool area...it seemed to me that everyone was truly enjoying themselves. :D

I am not allowed to book when there is a cruiseship on the island because the cruiseship does charge $109.00 per person, on off days which is when I booked it is less. Also when the cruiseship people are there the pool is full. Last time there was about 30 people at one time but they do provide an air conditioned bus to and from WaterLand for you.

When it was an off day there was allot more of one on one and it's not as full of course when there are cruiseship people there. Either way I also did not want to try to 'sell' anything on here as well but to let you know of what I have personally seen or experienced with the Dolphin Excursion.

A close friend of mine also has told me that WaterLand is thinking of as a very near future project to build a new facility for this excursion right at El Guamache. New pools will be built for the dolphins and maybe things will be more up to par with other places once it's finished.

either way I hope this helps some to know what it's like.

take care ~ and happy 2006 to you all.

marsha

Marsha you REALLY do get around !

HI Kristina..I, too, tried to find you on our Empress of/the Seas December cruise, but no one could tell me where you were..Hopefully, we will see you and your Mother next December, when we cruise the Empress again..Then, I will be sure to look you up, will you still be there? We had done a tour of the island, so didn't have much time after we got back, before we sailed at 3:30PM. See you in December if you are still there, and maybe the new port will be open?....Helen

HI Kristina..I, too, tried to find you on our Empress of/the Seas December cruise, but no one could tell me where you were..Hopefully, we will see you and your Mother next December, when we cruise the Empress again..Then, I will be sure to look you up, will you still be there? We had done a tour of the island, so didn't have much time after we got back, before we sailed at 3:30PM. See you in December if you are still there, and maybe the new port will be open?....Helen
Oh. I'm sorry Helen. I was sick for a few days, so I was gone. We will keep our booth as long as this port stays here. I hope the new port opens soon. It's really pretty and in a great location. I hope to see you next time.

[quote name= I spoke in length with one of the sellers- he had been there for two years- right about the time we last visited. He said they had gotten so many complaints about the place that the government finally cleaned things up- got rid of the emaciated dogs lying all around and really made a nice looking shopping area. We were really pleasantly surprised. After trashing the place in this thread earlier, I wanted to set things straight.

Rob[/quote]

Are the vendors pushy around the market? can you just look and not worry about it??Thanks

I hate bartering, just like to buy!!

Stephanie

Do the venders hassle you like in some ports? Can you look at items without out the pushing items, I love to look and come back to buy after I compare items! Experiences in past have made me stay away from venders in other ports, but this one sounds awesome, and want to shop for the whole 4.5 hrs we are there.

Stephanie

Hello Alice. My mother's name is Louise, but many there call her Luisa, or la madre de Kristina. (The mother of Kristina.) She's the lady with the BIG smile. :D

Kristina

I have been reading all your notes and I have decided to stick around pier inside of wasting precious time running around in taxi.Is the pier usually really packed with people?If my sister and I go to beach by port, do people come up to you every 2 seconds selling stuff? (previous bad experience)This port sounds so quaint and wanderful break from all excursions/ports we have planned on Sun princess.We will be there March 14th from 10-4. I would like to meet your mother if she is there, and you. What does she sell, her main items? I tried to look through all threads for weather info, but there are so many! What is the weather like this time of year ?

Are masks and statues available here? My son collects hand carved masks in every port. I am thinking of taking up the hobby myself as his room looks gorgeous with all the masks hanging up. I was thinking of putting some in our family room. Both he and I also collect statues, anything artistic and hand made. Can we find things such as these at your island?

Are the vendors pushy around the market? can you just look and not worry about it??Thanks

I hate bartering, just like to buy!!

Stephanie

We hate bartering, too. LOL. Actually, I do get a lot of comments from tourists about how good the prices are. Well, I'll be totally honest. We get complaints about prices sometimes, but I think that those people get stuck in the "flea market" state of mind, and aren't really stopping to think about what they are getting. You can buy t-shirts as low as $5, but they are cheap made, you can buy average t-shirts with Margarita Island on them for $8-12. Polo shirts for $10. Embroidered t-shirts for $15-$20. Sarongs for $5-$15. That's an example of prices. For the most part, I see the vendors pricing their items fairly. They don't mind if you buy several items from them to ask for a discount of a few dollars, but the prices don't really have room to barter. I personally don't start giving discounts until the purchase reaches $100, and that is only to give them a free pair of crystal earrings or something. We keep our prices so low that there is just no room for discounts. We sell handmade jewelry with stones, crystals, pearls and such (top of the line quality) starting at $5 on up to $50. In the states our necklaces would be closer to $80-$100. Our average price for a necklace is $15- $20. There are many more necklaces that you can buy at the other booths for $10-$15. The vendors do greet and sometimes stand when you aproach their table, but that is their way of doing service. It shows respect to you as the customer. Some people think that is being pushy, but it's not meant to be. I hear a lot from tourists that our vendors are not pushy, and they are pleasantly suprised by that. So, I guess they answered your question for you. :D

I have been reading all your notes and I have decided to stick around pier inside of wasting precious time running around in taxi.Is the pier usually really packed with people?If my sister and I go to beach by port, do people come up to you every 2 seconds selling stuff? (previous bad experience)This port sounds so quaint and wanderful break from all excursions/ports we have planned on Sun princess.We will be there March 14th from 10-4. I would like to meet your mother if she is there, and you. What does she sell, her main items? I tried to look through all threads for weather info, but there are so many! What is the weather like this time of year ?
If you are comming on March 14th, then the Sun Princess is the only ship docked that day. The port and beach won't be too crowded for you. The beach is controlled by the port, so no there are no vendors out there trying to sell you things. If you go to another beach on the island then you would get that. The water is shallow very far out, and the water is calm, so it's pretty relaxing. My mother will probably be there, if not, then our assistant will be. She's a short blond, so she stands out. We have 3 seasons on this island: windy/hot, rainy/hot, and just plain HOT. Take your pick. LOL. I can pretty much guarantee that it will be hot.

Are masks and statues available here? My son collects hand carved masks in every port. I am thinking of taking up the hobby myself as his room looks gorgeous with all the masks hanging up. I was thinking of putting some in our family room. Both he and I also collect statues, anything artistic and hand made. Can we find things such as these at your island?
It seems like we had some tribal masks last year in one of the booths, but I'm not sure if they are here this year. We have a wonderful artist named Victor who hand carves dolphins and women out of stone. Many people return here to buy more of his items. He is towards the end of the line of booths. Walk past the first bar, and you'll find him under an awning right before the second bar. He speaks english and has a great sense of humor. He was my booth neighbor last year. Right next to him is Angi who sells handpainted ceramic pottery. Her, her brother, my assistant and I are the Americans who sell at this port. I think that it says a lot when the locals allow us Americans to sell out there and represent their country. I find it to be a great honor.

Archived