Isla Margarita

crisp1

Klouised, Many thanks for all the help and tips you've given so far.

Would you possibly be able to give a few more phrases in Spanish, that may help us?

We too plan to just get a local taxi to La Restinga, and wondered if a visit to the Botanical Gardens, Nature Centre and/or the Marino Museum could all be done in a morning. We'd want the taxi to wait for us at each place and then return us to the port.

Would we be better to ask for a 'tour' or hourly price? If so how do we do/say this? Also what cost should we expect?

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children.

Muchos gracias! ?!

Thanks Klouised. Very helpful. Two of the daughters took Spanish in high school, and one still uses it occasionally in her job, so hopefully they will know a little to get us by. I can give them some warning to brush up on the Spanish a little. Will you be there in November at your booth? We are coming on Wednesday Nov. 16th on the Golden. We will only have a short stop there, 5 hours or so. Looking forward to seeing Isla Margarita.

Do you know the name of the beach near the port?

Thanks!

The name of the beach is El Guamache, which is the same as the name for the port. It takes about 5 minutes, if that, to walk to it. For some extreme shoppers, it might take a little bit longer. :D

The name of the beach is El Guamache, which is the same as the name for the port. It takes about 5 minutes, if that, to walk to it. For some extreme shoppers, it might take a little bit longer. :D

Thanks for your reply!

We'll be there on New Years Day....so don't want to have to venture too far with a hangover!

Great thoughts RPhCruiser! Did you learn your drinking habits in RPh school?

I know I did:p (also an RPh, PharmD wasn't mandatory when I got out)

Received my pharmacy degree from Ferris State University (1989), along with my "beer credentials":rolleyes: Can't wait for Dec 21st on this island!!!! DW and DD shopping for pearls, myself....sunning and funning on the beach:cool:

Received my pharmacy degree from Ferris State University (1989), along with my "beer credentials":rolleyes: Can't wait for Dec 21st on this island!!!! DW and DD shopping for pearls, myself....sunning and funning on the beach:cool:

StLCOP (St Louis, 1980) We will be in IM 1/11/06 (DH,DS and me). Pulling our 13 yr old out of school for the week. I'd like to check out the Murano glass. BTW, I am headed to St. Louis tomorrow eve to visit with classmates I haven't seen for 15 to 25 years!

StLCOP (St Louis, 1980) We will be in IM 1/11/06 (DH,DS and me). Pulling our 13 yr old out of school for the week. I'd like to check out the Murano glass. BTW, I am headed to St. Louis tomorrow eve to visit with classmates I haven't seen for 15 to 25 years!

Sorry, I know this is a post about IM, but I wanted to share that my in-laws live in Mt.Vernon Il and are 1 hour from St.Louis. We are going there for Thanksgiving and attending a Blues game saturday. Nice to hear from a fellow RPh'er

Enjoy your cruise....we will be celebrating DD 16th b-day on the St.Kitts sailaway!!!

We were on a Princess cruise about 4-5 yrs ago that went to the port near Caracas. As part of the ship's excursion we were taken to a glass factory/glass blowing place high up on a hill/mountain outside Caracas. We were told it has a connection to Murano glass - I forget exactly what the connection was, but it was high quality glass, similar to that found in Venice. Also fairly pricey.

is anyone besides me planning on bringing lots of small bills for shopping? grab a stack and run! lots of small bills for drinks and trivial items - does anyone know if there is Diet Pepsi in the Caribbean? in Mexico they have Pepsi Light, etc.....I'll be traveling with a stash....

I saw a travel show featuring Caracas yesterday and was amazed at the size of the town - I never expected it to be that large of a city with that much of development

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned Sat. 11/19 from my cruise, visiting Isla Margarita on Thursday. My daughter did the kayaking excursion with Princess and enjoyed the experience, though it was rigorous and lenghthy, leaving at 7:15 and returning just before last boarding time at 12:30, so she had no time for shopping on Isla Margarita.

However, I planned to stay in the shopping/beach area, and had a great time. Good bargains, and a pleasant beach, with palapas, beach bars, massages given in open areas at $20-30. I asked about Murano glass and most vendors did not know of it, though I learned it was available inside a shopping building at the port. However, I purchased a piece of painted glass which I love and which will be my personal souvenir for the cruise - at only $8 from a vendor named Marina. Also some hand-painted icons of the Virgin, as well as the local pearls - real pearls priced by the size and quality and match - $10-$50. Also met the lovely klouised. The time there was too short.

thanks for you comments, my wife an I will be there the first week of Jan .06

Can you tell me please, if I want to buy a pearl necklace to my wife, what would be the appr. cost. and are there different quality?

Is there any woodcraft? like mask?

I am looking forward to meet KouiseD too!

Thank you in advance

Francois

A stated above, pearl necklaces range from $10-50, and perhaps more, depending on pearl size (small - large, regularity and irregularity of size), clasp quality, whether or not & degree to which pearls match one another, length of strand, number of strands, and probably much more that I don't know about. I know very little about this and opted for 2 $10 necklaces for $18, but you may wish a more superior one for your wife.

Wasn't looking for woodcraft, other than the hand-painted religious icons I purchased, but believe you will probably find some there.

Good luck shopping, and have a wonderful trip.

As for earlier question on "pricey" Murano glass, I can't be exact as it was 5 yrs ago that I went to the Murano factory outside Caracas, but I believe items were $30, $50, & up into the $100s, most too large to conveniently carry and risk breakage. If I recall, they probably would have shipped directly to your home, but I didn't have time for all that, nor want it badly enough, though it was most attractive. At the time I purchased a clear glass fish with a colored fish inside, relatively heavy in weight; don't remember price, but probably not more than $10-15, and it may have been a second. I didn't visit the Murano glass shop at the pier in Isla Margarita, so can't comment on current prices; perhaps someone else can.

is anyone besides me planning on bringing lots of small bills for shopping? grab a stack and run! lots of small bills for drinks and trivial items - does anyone know if there is Diet Pepsi in the Caribbean? in Mexico they have Pepsi Light, etc
Jackie, bringing small bills with you is always a great idea. Just about every port day we start out with everyone handing us $50 and $100 bills first thing. The change runs out fast. There is Pepsi Light, Pepsi Twist, Coke, Diet Coke, and 7up. There is also a drink called Chinnoto that is like Sprite. I sooooo miss Dr Pepper. I can't wait for the day when they start carrying the Dr. Sodas, chips, and such are not a problem here. There is a resteraunt here, and at the end near the beach bar is a grill.

I got to meet Susiesnow last week. She was nice enough to hunt me down and give me a big hello. I thought that was special. Thanks Susie!! I met another couple from Cruise Critic about a month ago that I was talking to for awhile before I realized that they had been on this forum. Sorry, I don't remember their names. They were the ones who let me know about the Murano glass still being sold here. When you get off the ship there is a building right there to the left. It's the only building around there. Upstairs is where all the offices are for the officials of the port, but downstairs in the front area are some shops. That's where the Murano glass is sold. I hope that makes it easier to find.

They would be wise to open a cruise pier closer to town instead of gouging passengers w/ a $20pp charge to shop. Shop right off the ship--plenty of vendors, a beach, bar w/ music, a few air conditioned shops. You're only there abou 4-4 1/2 hrs off of the Golden Princess. Take some dog treats or a snack to help the homeless but friendly dogs that no one seems to take notice of or give a hoot about.

They would be wise to open a cruise pier closer to town instead of gouging passengers w/ a $20pp charge to shop. Shop right off the ship--plenty of vendors, a beach, bar w/ music, a few air conditioned shops. You're only there abou 4-4 1/2 hrs off of the Golden Princess. Take some dog treats or a snack to help the homeless but friendly dogs that no one seems to take notice of or give a hoot about.
There is a new port that is downtown, but it has been sitting there waiting to open for about 3 years, now. They have had one problem after another to get opened. Everyone agrees that the new one needs to open, but the current port is trying it's best to make things nicer until it does open.

I would like to explain something about the dog situation. I hear complaints all the time from the tourists, and I would just like to take a moment to explain OUR situation here. The dogs are one of the biggest complaints about the island. I agree. It's a great tragedy. It took me a very long time to get used to it, but it still hurts a lot to see the starvation. We're not the only country with that problem, though. Venezuela doesn't have a government paid program to create dog pounds or shelters, so the ones that are around are privately owned and paid for. The shelters don't believe in killing the dogs like how the dog pounds in the States do, so most of the shelters are overflowing. That is very difficult for a country that has a hard time just keeping their people fed, much less the dogs. There are some people who don't care about dogs, like anywhere else, but for the most part people feed their lunch scraps to them. I took in one homeless pup many years ago, and many of my friends took in kittens or pups, too. You just can't take them all in. I now have a house full of dogs (5), so I can't take in anymore. It's a problem that will take years to resolve, but first let's work on feeding the people and getting them work to help them survive. That's what this port does. Many of the artists out there in the 130 booths are from poverty stricken neighborhoods. We are made to wear certain quality of clothes, so you can't really tell how hard up they are. The dollars they receive from the tourists are like gold to them. A tourist comming to visit for a day can't really take in the full meaning of this. Bring some scraps from the ship, though. The dogs love to get them. Anything can help. Thanks for thinking of them.

The name of the artisan from whom I purchased a piece of fused glass is Marijo Ruiz, located in the vendor stalls at Isla Margarita. She designs, cuts & fires the pieces herself, according to insert included with the ware. She also spends time in CA Pacific coast

Last week we were on Isla Margarita. We had had three days of ports with tours etc. previous to our arrival. We didn't make arrangements to take any shore excursions. I thought it would be like a sea day.

Wow, was I surprised. I had a great time shopping the vendors while my husband sat in the shade drinking local beer. There is a very nice beach within walking distance from the ship and there were quite a few people taking advantage of it.

I would go again to Isla Margarita--really at the drop of a hat. All vendors and all other people we met there were very friendly and polite. I thought we were going to be tendered, but it turned out that our ship docked and that made it even more enjoyable. It turned out to be my second favorite island.

I can't wait until we get to go there again. It is nothing like Caracas. Thank goodness.

Katie

Caracas is completely different from relaxed Isla Margarita, but, as a national capital, full of history and meaning in contemporary history. I would advise going there only on an excursion sponsored by the cruise line, as they will not risk passengers safety in any way. If you are intellectually curious, it could be a worthwhile, though not relaxing, day.

We just returned from our cruise and one of our ports was Isla Margarita. We had arranged a private tour...unfortunately it poured rain while we were there, but we still managed to have a nice tour and get an overview of the island and still have time to shop at the pier when we returned!

We had a nice and inexpensive lunch at the beach (indoors due to the rain). We would have been able to see more if the weather had cooperated, but we are very glad we took the tour and got to see a lot of the island. We had a young couple as our tour guides...they only take four people, but provide an excellent tour at a good price...only $25 p/p for a 6 hour tour. Lunch was on our own, but it came to only $10 p/p with tip and was quite good.

This was the first time we were there and we always like to get a good overview of places we haven't been to before, so it worked out very well in spite of the weather.

Liz

Archived