All I Can Eat...

JohnMI

So, I realize it is "all you can eat" -- but I guess I want to make sure that really isn't a problem if I just get hungry at 3pm or 3am or whatever. I mean, if I order room service at 3pm and get a grilled cheese -- and then, after I eat it, I decide that that was good and I'd like another, I can just call and order another, right? If I want to eat 7 times a day, I can, correct? :D

What about this: I'm eating dinner in a restaurant and, just as I finish, I decide that I'm really going to want some more of that -- can I just ask to order something else off the dinner menu "to go" and take it back to my room? Or will that come off weird?

I'm just not used to this "meals are included" concept -- so I feel the need to confirm how "it really works."

One last question, if my wife wants a banana split at, say, 10pm -- would there be a place to go and get it? I realize that room service is 24/7, but I don't think desserts like that are on the room service menu. Would there be a place to go and just get a dessert at that sort of hour?

Thanks!

- John...

1st, do you actually "get hungry" at 3am at home?????

But yes...you can eat as much as you want, as often as you want....

The buffett usually has some sort of "munchie" out...even if a full meal isn't being served at the time.

You will not be hungry...and it sounds like you may even gain a few pounds!

Oh I plan to gain a few pounds. I've been running a 5k 2-3 mornings a week for the past few months -- so I won't feel guilty for what I am about to partake of! :D

Thanks for the answers. What about the ice cream question? Do you know if I can get some sort of a dessert thing at like 10pm?

Also, I believe that soft-serve is available most of the time, right?

Thanks again!

- John...

Top Ten Tips to Get Fat on a Cruise

Published by upay2much in Travel

March 31, 2008

If you need to gain weight then make sure you follow these tips. Conversely, if you need to lose weight, make sure to do the opposite. Either way, bon voyage.

1. Order more than your fair share – Thank God, there are no prices on the menu so live it up! Order two or three appetizers, chase it down with a soup and don’t forget a healthy serving of vegetables or salad. Can’t decide on the entrees? Take them all.
  2. Say yes to everyone who offers you food – The assistant waiter will constantly ask you if you want bread, say yes. The waiter will recommend the house specialty each night, say yes. When they are done asking, add to your order any of your second and third choices.
  3. Call Room Service before you turn in – Don’t go to bed hungry. Order a light snack such as a steak sandwich, buffalo chicken wings or a pasta. Since delivery is free, ask them to throw in a slice of cake or a orange flan for dessert.
  4. Grab a slice of pizza to go – After lunch, be sure to stop by the pizza parlour and grab a slice or better yet, the whole pizza. Don’t forget the parma cheese and chili flakes.
  5. After dinner, go upstairs to the buffet and check out the selection – See what you missed out by eating in the dining room. Grab a plate and fill “er up.
  6. Go to every event that serves food. Once you get there, hound the server and pick one of each item that looks different.
  7. If you”re going to eat, make sure you drink fluids. Go to every art auction and drink the free champagne that they give out. Go to every Captain event because where the Captain goes, there will be free drinks and there is no limit to the number of drinks you can have.
  8. Room service is open 24 hours a day. Along with regular meal service, you can call room service for delivery in between meals.
  9. The buffet upstairs in the lounge is almost always open. Make sure you go around and pick up everything that looks good.
  10. Be sure to print this list out before you go on your next cruise.

Bon Appetit!

I'm unsure which cruiseline you are going on, but order what you want. With that being said, you usually cannot order "off menu" without any kind of arrangements made in advance. If you want a banana split, odds are room service will not be able to deliver. Same with a grilled cheese ... if it's not on the menu, you might not be able to get it. Also, while you may order room service all you desire, it is generally a service you provide a gratuity for. On Royal Caribbean, they charge 3.95 for room service between 12-5 AM in lieu of gratuity.

Anyway, the concept of "food included" is generally limited "current menu" only, especially with mass-market cruiselines.

Erm... do people actually order more than one of anything like starter /appetiser or even main courses? I am also a Little confused over what courses you can choose, is an Entrée what we call in the UK a "main course"...on P&O for instance you have starter, soup, main, dessert, if lucky cheese too. How does this work on =X=?

So, I realize it is "all you can eat" -- but I guess I want to make sure that really isn't a problem if I just get hungry at 3pm or 3am or whatever. I mean, if I order room service at 3pm and get a grilled cheese -- and then, after I eat it, I decide that that was good and I'd like another, I can just call and order another, right? If I want to eat 7 times a day, I can, correct? :D At 3 am room service'll be your only option. The Promenade cafe and pizza place are open late, but not quite that late. Since you seem intent on eating all day, every day, you could bring something back to your room for later. You can take some fruit or cookies from the buffet to your room.

Eating this much, however, you're going to burn out and not want to eat anything -- ever again -- sometime around Wednesday. When you eat three big meals in a day -- unless you're Scooby Doo -- you're not going to want loads of snacks.

What about this: I'm eating dinner in a restaurant and, just as I finish, I decide that I'm really going to want some more of that -- can I just ask to order something else off the dinner menu "to go" and take it back to my room? Or will that come off weird? Yes, it'll come off as weird. It's okay to say, "I've eaten so much dinner, but I still want dessert -- may I have it wrapped for later?" More than that, yes, they'll let you do it, but it'll be socially awkward.

If you want something after your meal, I'd suggest that you go to the Promenade Cafe, get something from the pizza place (which serves more than pizza), or order room service.

I'm just not used to this "meals are included" concept -- so I feel the need to confirm how "it really works."

One last question, if my wife wants a banana split at, say, 10pm -- would there be a place to go and get it? I realize that room service is 24/7, but I don't think desserts like that are on the room service menu. Would there be a place to go and just get a dessert at that sort of hour? I don't remember banana splits onboard. The soft serve ice cream is usually available on the pool deck in the afternoons, not all day long. Ben & Jerry's ice cream is available for sale in the Promenade most of the time. The buffet has lots of desserts almost all day long, and you could take some back to your room; use a soup bowl to cover your cake so it won't dry out; keep your room service "silver bowl lid" in your closet so you can store future munchies.

Erm... do people actually order more than one of anything like starter /appetiser or even main courses? I am also a Little confused over what courses you can choose, is an Entrée what we call in the UK a "main course"...on P&O for instance you have starter, soup, main, dessert, if lucky cheese too. How does this work on =X=?
Yes, people do order two starters or two desserts sometimes . . . but people do not order two of everything at every meal. Have you seen the online menus? They'll bring you whatever you request; obviously, good manners dictates that you should eat what you order, and while at home you might eat a HUGE HUGE dinner every now and then, you probably don't do it on a day when you've also had a full breakfast and a buffet lunch.

Yes...you can order as many as you want of any of the dishes on the menu in the main dining rooms of most cruise ships heading out of the US. I've seen people order "one of everything" -- wasting most of it, mind you, as they "take a taste" and set it aside..but if you want more of anything..including the "main course", or entree (same thing)..you can order it.

And then go to the buffet, any of the smaller eating venues, and eat there, too.

include_main_dining_menu.gif

Quality is the main ingredient in Celebrity cuisine, rather than simply quantity. Promising to satisfy any appetite and palate, Celebrity cuisine offers something for everyone. Foods are especially designed to complement each other and every creation reflects our dedication to fresh, gourmet cuisine prepared just for you. For a taste of our breakfast, lunch and dinner selections, we have included the following sample menu:

a p p e t i z e r s

Chilled Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

with Horseradish Cocktail Sauce

Escargots à la Bourguignonne

with Shallots, Garlic, Parsley and Pernod Butter

Celebrity Antipasti Platter

Selection of Cured Meats and Artisan Cheese with Marinated Olives and Roasted Red Peppers

s o u p s & Salads

Baked French Onion Soup

with Herb Croutons and Melted Gruyère Cheese

Creamy Lobster Bisque

with Cognac Cream and Finely Chopped Tarragon

Caprese Salad

Vine Ripe Tomatoes, Layered with Buffalo Mozzarella, Peppers and Arugula, Tossed in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinaigrette

Classic Caesar Salad

Crispy Hearts of Romaine Lettuce with Garlic Croutons and Parmesan Cheese also available as entrée-size with Grilled Chicken Breast or Poached Shrimp

A selection of Domestic and Imported Cheeses. Served with Crackers and Biscuits.

e n t r é e s

Broiled Atlantic Salmon

with Boiled Potatoes and Grilled Asparagus, Served Plain or with Classic Hollandaise Sauce

Herb Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast

with Red Bliss Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli, Honey Glazed Carrots and Thyme Jus

Grilled New York Sirloin Steak

with Loaded Baked Potato, Caramelized Shallots, Tender Green Beans and Beurre Maître d’Hôtel

Choice of" Side Dishes:

Baby Peas, Steamed Green Beans, Broccoli, Rice Pilaf, Mashed Potatoes or Loaded Baked Potato with Traditional Toppings

D e s s e r t s

New York Cheesecake

with Fresh Homemade Berry Compote

Apple Pie à la Mode

Our One of a Kind Blend of Golden Delicious Apples in Seasoned Brown Sugar, Baked in a Crispy Dough

Crème Brûlée

Delightfully Balanced Vanilla Infused Custard with Caramelized Sugar Topping

What I would like to know...we choose one of each of these courses..?this is how it works on P&O, have been on =X= before but can't remember.

Just to clarify, my "3pm or 3am" was just a "what if?" thing. I don't ACTUALLY plan to be eating at 3am. I was just asking the extremes to get an idea of what to expect.

Also, I really don't eat like crazy. I'm 6'1" and 180 pounds -- certainly not a guy that is going to eat 4 main courses or something. Again, I was just curious about how it worked.

I'm also a guy that hates to waste food. So, I won't be ordering "one of each" and then letting most that go to waste -- so no worries there.

Plus, I love pizza. So, a much more realistic situation is that I'll eat dinner in the dinning room at, say, 7pm -- and then, around 11pm, decide that I'm a bit hungry and go grab a slice of pizza. I get the impression that that wouldn't be an issue at all. So, I think I'll be fine.

The ice cream question was just a question from my wife. She doesn't eat like crazy either -- but she just wondered if, when I'm having that slice of pizza at 11pm, if she'd be able to get some hard ice cream anywhere. It doesn't really have to be a banana split. :D

Thanks for all the great responses!

- John...

Oh -- and I am on the 3-night Imagination -- that goes from Friday evening until Monday morning. So there won't be any chance of the "by Wednesday, you won't want to eat or do anything if you eat that much" thing. :-)

- John...

Quality is the main ingredient in Celebrity cuisine, rather than simply quantity. Promising to satisfy any appetite and palate, Celebrity cuisine offers something for everyone. Foods are especially designed to complement each other and every creation reflects our dedication to fresh, gourmet cuisine prepared just for you. For a taste of our breakfast, lunch and dinner selections, we have included the following sample menu:

a p p e t i z e r s

Selection of Cured Meats and Artisan Cheese with Marinated Olives and Roasted Red Peppers

s o u p s & Salads

Baked French Onion Soup

Creamy Lobster Bisque

Caprese Salad

Vine Ripe Tomatoes, Layered with Buffalo Mozzarella, Peppers and Arugula, Tossed in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinaigrette

Classic Caesar Salad

Crispy Hearts of Romaine Lettuce with Garlic Croutons and Parmesan Cheese also available as entrée-size with Grilled Chicken Breast or Poached Shrimp

A selection of Domestic and Imported Cheeses. Served with Crackers and Biscuits.

e n t r é e s

Broiled Atlantic Salmon

with Boiled Potatoes and Grilled Asparagus, Served Plain or with Classic Hollandaise Sauce

with Red Bliss Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli, Honey Glazed Carrots and Thyme Jus

with Loaded Baked Potato, Caramelized Shallots, Tender Green Beans and Beurre Maître d’Hôtel

Choice of" Side Dishes:

Baby Peas, Steamed Green Beans, Broccoli, Rice Pilaf, Mashed Potatoes or Loaded Baked Potato with Traditional Toppings

D e s s e r t s

New York Cheesecake

Apple Pie à la Mode

Our One of a Kind Blend of Golden Delicious Apples in Seasoned Brown Sugar, Baked in a Crispy Dough

Crème Brûlée

What I would like to know...we choose one of each of these courses..?this is how it works on P&O, have been on =X= before but can't remember.

You can choose one of each course. Or more than one of each course. Or you don't HAVE to order one of each course -- some folks will skip one or two, or not order dessert, or whatever.

For Celebrity-

As previously stated, you can order anything you want from the menu in whatever quantity you want - besides the regular menu which changes day to day, there is an always available menu - the items under that category are available everyday.

Room service on Celebrity is available 24/7 - and the menu is quite varied - sandwiches, salads, pizza, desserts, etc. If you are hungry before dinner, you can always order a fruit plate and a cheese plate from room service while you are getting ready. Or you can stop up for sushi in the buffet area.

It looks like you are sailing on Carnival, so I will speak to that:

What about this: I'm eating dinner in a restaurant and, just as I finish, I decide that I'm really going to want some more of that -- can I just ask to order something else off the dinner menu "to go" and take it back to my room? Or will that come off weird?

It's not so much that it will come off weird, but courses are coming out in sets from the kitchen (to the MDR--Main Dining Room) so you will need to order extras of each course when you order. If you are in early seating you will need to eat and get out so they can reset the table for late seating. Ordering another entree (main course) will realllllyyyyyyyyyyy delay that.

If you decide that you are still hungry, you can go to the buffet, the pizza kitchen, or one of the other speciality corners (Tandoor, Mongolian wok, deli) if they are open. Self service soft serve ice cream is usually available 24/7.

Room service has its own menu and can be ordered 24/7 on Carnival. Don't forget a generous tip as they are not included in autotips.

One last question, if my wife wants a banana split at, say, 10pm -- would there be a place to go and get it? I realize that room service is 24/7, but I don't think desserts like that are on the room service menu. Would there be a place to go and just get a dessert at that sort of hour?

Not really a banana split on room service menu. It is available on the kids' menu in the MDR so she can have one for dessert then. Other than that, she maybe able to find desserts later at night for awhile or settle :cool: for soft serve.

Hope this helps.

Yes...you can order as many as you want of any of the dishes on the menu in the main dining rooms of most cruise ships heading out of the US. I've seen people order "one of everything" -- wasting most of it, mind you, as they "take a taste" and set it aside..but if you want more of anything..including the "main course", or entree (same thing)..you can order it.

And then go to the buffet, any of the smaller eating venues, and eat there, too.

I am happy to say that I've not observed the "take a taste" crew. I'm sure the wait staff hates that, and everyone knows that you should never antagonize people who handle your food. Honestly, if I were seated with table mates who did this kind of thing, I'd change tables or hit the buffet for dinner.

I've heard (on these boards) about people taking loads of food in the buffet just because it's available, but I can't say I've personally observed it in the buffet either. Perhaps I'm not very observant of other people's behavior.

a p p e t i z e r s

s o u p s & Salads

Baked French Onion Soup

Creamy Lobster Bisque

Caprese Salad

Classic Caesar Salad

e n t r é e s

Broiled Atlantic Salmon

Choice of" Side Dishes:

D e s s e r t s

New York Cheesecake

Apple Pie à la Mode

Crème Brûlée

Typically people order one appetizer, one soup OR salad, one entree, and one dessert. You can order two appetizers and no salad . . . you can request that a larger portion of an appetizer be served as an entree . . . you can request two desserts. They will bring it to you.

A first-time cruiser might be surprised by the SIZE of the meals on a cruise. We're so accustomed to extra-large portions in restaurants that normal-sized portions appear skimpy at first. Remember that you're not taking home a doggie bag for tomorrow's lunch.

When I cruised for the first time, I made a rookie mistake at our first dinner: We'd enjoyed a nice buffet lunch, and dinner followed not too far behind. The waiter came and we ordered appetizers. Great! Next it was time for bread. Yummy! Then he brought soup/salad. Wonderful! The he brought the entrees, and I was already slowing down. Uh-oh. By the time dessert time came, I couldn't manage it. Oh, no. I quickly learned that being barely 5' tall, I can't eat these meals 3xs a day. So now I have an appetizer OR a salad OR a soup. No bread -- it's not special, so I save those calories for something else. I always enjoy the entree, and I never skip dessert. I also stick to water because -- as I said -- I can only manage so many calories, and I'm not wasting them on soda.

On our first cruise (Carnival Sensation), I was a bit amazed when the teenaged young woman across from me at the table ordered every item on the menu at dinner. She would have the steak and only eat a few bites of it, then call the waiter and ask if she might have the lobster. The lobster was tasting good to her; so she ordered it twice more and told him she didn't want to wait, but please bring her double order at once. She got all that she ordered and much good food was "wasted". If that's the kind of food orgy one desires, it's there for the enjoying.

Usually there will be an "appetizer", then a soup or salad, followed by a meat or fish and vegetable "entrée", and finally, dessert with coffee or tea.

On our first cruise, to Alaska, the thought of eating all you wanted was overpowering. The first day was a sea day, and we ate all we could. By bed time, we were so full, that it was hard to go to sleep. After that, we ate what we wanted, but we didn't stuff ourselves. We would order an entree apiece, and maybe one that we would share. On one cruise, I didn't like much of what they had, so ate beef almost every night with a baked potato. The waiter would bring a couple of potates after a while, and anyone who wanted one, could have one. Portions are small and the extra potatos got used. Desserts I would order 2 as they were small. If I couldn't decide, the waiter would bring me small amounts of each one even though I didn't ask for them. Someone at the table always ate them.

On one of our cruises, by the third night of a 14 night cruise, the whole table was sharing. We all got what we wanted, and if someone wanted to try something else on the side, they would ask if someone wanted to share. When it came, and looked so good, more people wanted just a taste. So, no food was wasted, you didn't eat the whole thing yourself, and no food was wasted.

I had heard that people always gained weight when they cruise because of the unlimited food. In my case, I ate all I wanted, didn't waste food, and managed to lose between 5 to 8 pounds per cruise.

There is plenty of food for you to eat, Have what you want, be sensible in what you eat. And enjoy your cruise.

On our first cruise (Carnival Sensation), I was a bit amazed when the teenaged young woman across from me at the table ordered every item on the menu at dinner. She would have the steak and only eat a few bites of it, then call the waiter and ask if she might have the lobster. The lobster was tasting good to her; so she ordered it twice more and told him she didn't want to wait, but please bring her double order at once. She got all that she ordered and much good food was "wasted". If that's the kind of food orgy one desires, it's there for the enjoying.
Did her parents sit there and allow that?

I understand that the waiters are in a no-win situation. They know this is bad behavior, but if they say anything, it'd be goodbye tips!

Since I only eat fish and vegetarian, it is not unusual for me to order three or four appetizer/soup/salad and no main course or some other night order two main courses, one served as an appetizer. I've never had a problem with that on RCCL or Celebrity or Princess. Haven't sailed Carnival.

No problem on Carnival, either.

Whatever you want to order, they will bring. If you wanted 3 starters and dessert, whatever.

I find that I really need to pace myself. I will eat a normal amount in the MDR and then someone will suggest soft serve and on the way there we pass the dessert bar and...................you get the picture.

I like the way some restaurants now call it, "all you care to eat" instead of "all you can eat".

Archived