Caribbean Princess Jan. 24th-Thoughts and photos

mnbruce

:) You photos are absolutely amazing in quality and content. My husband heard me oh-ing and ahh-ing from the other room and came in to see them' date=' too.

Together we decided: Why take our camera when we can sit back, relax, and enjoy pics such as these? We've been to those same ports.... Just kidding.

Thanks for the review and great pics.[/quote']

Wow,I'm blushing! Thanks for those comments.

Amy, the camera is a Canon 30D.

RockNosalt,thank you

mnbruce- In San Juan did you take the Princess transfers from the airport or a taxi? Or neither? Just trying to see if it is worth the $ for Princess transfers. We will be going roundtrip to and from the airport to the ship.

How about help with luggage? Princess transfers are $28. roundtrip per person and there are 2 of us. I heard a taxi is about $20. + luggage + tip.

Great photos. I hope my even older Canon EOS 10D can do half as well. It might with you behind the lens! Nice review too.

Scruffy,you've got a great camera there. It will do everything my camera does. Just take advantage of your surroundings and don't be in a hurry to shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Compose your shot in your head before you take the shot because if it doesn't look good in your head it probably won't look good on your screen either.

mnbruce- In San Juan did you take the Princess transfers from the airport or a taxi? Or neither? Just trying to see if it is worth the $ for Princess transfers. We will be going roundtrip to and from the airport to the ship.

How about help with luggage? Princess transfers are $28. roundtrip per person and there are 2 of us. I heard a taxi is about $20. + luggage + tip.

Arizonaperson,we just took the cab to the pier,it's simple. It was $19 plus $1 per large piece of luggage. $21 plus tip for us and there was no waiting for anybody else. When you get to the pier they will take your luggage as soon as you get out of the cab so no worries about lugging it around. The whole process worked quite well.

At the end of the cruise our flight did not leave until late afternoon so we spent about 4 hours roaming around Old San Juan. Our airline was not participating with the EZ Check program ,but I got a great tip from someone on this board about a restaurant that holds luggage for free if you have a late flight. The restaurant is Barrachina's and it has very good food and great Pina Coladas.

We took the same ship and itinerary in November and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I enjoyed your pictures which brought back some great memories but also suggested that there were a lot more sites to be seen.

Your pics seemed a little brighter and clearer than mine so I may have to upgrade from my Canon SureShot before my Baltic cruise in June.

For those interested in more pictures from this itinerary here is my link

http://neilloomer.smugmug.com/Travel/Caribbean-Princess-November/10270263_Q2TNL#709022468_guS7z

We took the same ship and itinerary in November and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I enjoyed your pictures which brought back some great memories but also suggested that there were a lot more sites to be seen.

Your pics seemed a little brighter and clearer than mine so I may have to upgrade from my Canon SureShot before my Baltic cruise in June.

For those interested in more pictures from this itinerary here is my link

http://neilloomer.smugmug.com/Travel/Caribbean-Princess-November/10270263_Q2TNL#709022468_guS7z

Great photos eetonaee. That's a nice camera you have there,not sure if you really need to replace it unless you really want to.

The St. Thomas Synagogue was quite amazing.

I notice you live in Vancouver B.C.,what beautiful country. We visited there this summer for the first time. Awesome!

Bruce or anyone else, did anyone notice if there was much of a price difference for liquor in either St Thomas or Antiqua. Since I'm going to be doing the repositioning back to NY in May and don't need to worry about airport problems I'd like to bring some back.

Thanks.

Great photos eetonaee. That's a nice camera you have there,not sure if you really need to replace it unless you really want to.

The St. Thomas Synagogue was quite amazing.

I notice you live in Vancouver B.C.,what beautiful country. We visited there this summer for the first time. Awesome!

Thank you- it was my second visit to the St. Thomas Synagogue. I also have pictures from the synagogues in Curacao and Barbados. There are two stories about the reason for the sand floors. One is to recall the wandering in the desert when the Hebrews left Egypt, but a more likely reason is that many synagogues in Spain and other countries where Jews were oppressed had sand floors to muffle sound so that authorities wouldn't hear people praying.

You'll see lots of Vancouver for the next few weeks on NBC. They are broadcasting the Today show each morning from Grouse Mountain beginning at 4:00am our time.

I work for a charter bus company and had to come in to the office for the weekend to help with dispatch services for our buses. The games start in 5 days but its already very busy with media and athletes arriving.

Most of our work is for the police and military who are staying on three cruise ships - 2 HAL one Carnival at the Ballantyne pier.

Bruce or anyone else, did anyone notice if there was much of a price difference for liquor in either St Thomas or Antiqua. Since I'm going to be doing the repositioning back to NY in May and don't need to worry about airport problems I'd like to bring some back.

Thanks.

Jeepers,I wish I could help you but I really don't know anything about liquor prices . I do know that while in St Thomas waiting for my wife to get some wine I did notice the price of the only liquor I drink,Don Julio tequila. It was not any cheaper there than at home. You might want to post your question as a new thread because this one has run it's course.

Thank you- it was my second visit to the St. Thomas Synagogue. I also have pictures from the synagogues in Curacao and Barbados. There are two stories about the reason for the sand floors. One is to recall the wandering in the desert when the Hebrews left Egypt, but a more likely reason is that many synagogues in Spain and other countries where Jews were oppressed had sand floors to muffle sound so that authorities wouldn't hear people praying.

Thanks for the info. I had heard the first story but not the second.

While wandering around Whistler and the Olympic Park up there I was picturing what it would be like during the games. I was lucky enough to get some photos of your Women's Biathlon team. The Peak to Peak was fun. It will be a crazy couple of weeks in your area.

I enjoyed your review and your pictures were amazing. You did a great job! I really enjoy cruising on Princess and HAL and find them very much alike.

Thanks for the kind words Themerle! You must have pulled this thread from a few pages back. The more we look back at this cruise the more we appreciate the great vacation we had. I see you a have trip on the CB coming up,I'm jealous.

Archived