When was your first cruise?

kkmonga

I started in 2001

Love cruising

Both my boys started Very young .Jeff was 5 Jer was 8

Jer and I are now Platinum with Princess .need 1 more for RCI and 2 more for Carnival.Been on NCL,Celebrity,Msc,Costa

Would like to try HAL ,Oceania,Azamara

Would like Europe ,Mediterranean ,New Zealand ..my son wants Far East /Japan

I would like NFLD,Iceland Greenland Norway finishing in London out of New York this summer but it is SOOOOOOOOOO expensive

I still want longer cruises 12-16 days .Southern Carib is good

Panama Crossing East to west

Hawaii

Transat plus Med ports out of New York or Montreal ?????

PLus NO SMOKING IN CABINS OR INDOORS ANYWHERE!!!!

My first cruise was on the Fantasy when she first started sailing. It was a short Bahamas cruise out of Miami. I guess I was around 16 or so and I was so excited about it. I remember looking over the brochure for it and being mesmerized by the ship's "futuristic look" (look at all that neon! lol). It was a family cruise and we had a blast. Kathy Lee Gifford was on board shooting commercials. They would block off certain areas of the ship when they were filming. If you tried to go by there they would yell "Sorry!" and throw free drink tickets at you. I remember going to the old Carnival hotel in Nassau and spending the day there.

After several years of telling my wife how STUPID it was to go on a cruise we went on the Majestic ( The Big Red Boat)

Booked our second cruise the day we got off the ship.

Now we do at least one Cruise a year

You sound like my boyfriend, the first one in 2007 he was not excited at all and was sure that he would not enjoy it. At the end of the trip he was ready to go on another one - we are heading out on our 4th one in June. Our two boys - both 16 - pick a cruise over any other kind of vacation.

DH and I took our first cruise in January 2001, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We took a 7-night cruise on the Disney Magic. We loved it and were hooked on cruising from that point on. I just wish we could afford to go every year. I'm trying to talk him into booking the Carnival Dream for January 2011, balcony rooms are only $779 right now. Wow!

September 2005 on the Conquest. When I booked, the Conquest was leaving out of New Orleans, then Katrina hit and the Conquest was moved to Galveston. Then, we leave and Rita decides to cause some trouble and the Port of Galveston was closed down, so my 7 day cruise became a 9 day cruise. I'm now scheduled for a second cruise (4th overall) on the Conquest in May.

Wow talk about bringing up memories. I actually pulled out the old photo album. First cruise May 31, 1980 on the S.S. Doric from Home Lines Company Cabin 186 Upper Deck out of NY. Decks all wood, guests allowed on board for bon voyage party, deck chairs reserved for entire cruise in same place with towel waiting everyday, formal nights very formal tux etc, entertainment fabulous, ship had theme song that you remember for a life time. Food to die for and crew outstanding. Cruise for one with port charges and taxes for 8 days $786.00!!!!! Thanks for the memories!

Now that I think about it, all our our Fantasy cruises have been first.

In 1991, we sailed with a couple of our dear friends from Miami. Seems like every time you turned around, there was a rum swizzler party. I also remember that the souvenir glasses were really glass.

In 1997, it was the first time that our dear daughters cruised. They were hooked and sailed with us on the next four cruises.

On our last Fantasy cruise (2009) was our first by ourselves, which we discovered that we can cruise alone. :D

My first cruise was on the Carnivale 9/16/85

my second was on the Festival 10/11/87.

When I was recently checking on my cruise status as to the number of cruises not matching I was told that Carnival did not have any records of my first two cruises and they told me it was up to me to prove that I was on them by producing a ship key to my cabin or a picture of the ship in port with my picture in front of it.

Has any one else had this same experience since some of you have been on both ships?

Is it even worth it to follow up with proving it?

I have 8 cruises with Carnival.

I also have 5 with Princess and 10 with Royal Carib.

I had a picture of us boarding the Carnivale in Feb 1991 and emailed it to my PVP. She added it to our cruise history so now it shows 5 bookings. That much closer to Platinum! Give it a go.

This pic was taken from the deck on one of my first "cruises" - we lived in Nassau at the time and 'cruised' back and forth to Miami to shop and visit family. This was on either the Bahama Star or Yarmouth Castle, in '59 - we got the pics developed when we got to my grandfather's house in Florida .... ( I was REALLY young!!!!)

2701941020059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

(my aunt and uncle, waving 'bye!)

I remember throwing streamers and confetti when the ship sailed and dressing up for dinner - which meant white gloves for little girls back then. Dining rooms were based on what class of cabin you had, as well as some areas of the ship.

July 2003 the Pride out of NYC for a 7 day Bermuda cruise for our 20th wedding anniversary. Wound up being upgraded to a suite for free! She is the source of our addiction. Still remember being driven down the west side highway to the pier and saying how huge the ship was. Have been fortunate enough to do a cruise every year since then (no more luck on upgrades though:rolleyes:). This year is up in the air as we own a retail mom and pop store and economy here upstate is non-existent, so many people out of work. Basically feel so fortunate that we've been able to go as much as we did so if this year doesn't happen that's the way it goes. Like so many others right now, just have to worry about paying bills, vacation not a thought right now.

My first cruise was a one day trip on SeaEscape from Miami to Freeport around 1986. Can't remember exactly what year. Anyone know how many years they operated out of Miami? The following year we cruised over to Freeport and spent 2 nights at the Holiday Inn and then sailed back to Miami. It was a great way to see whether you might like cruising. We found out we didn't get seasick because almost everyone else going to Freeport was ill. We had great service in the dining room. Unfortunately, our son did get seasick. Fortunately, it was only a few hours over to Freeport. The seas were calm coming back to Miami so most passengers did just fine.

We took our first official 4 night cruise on Carnival Ectasy to Cozumel and Key West. It was such a bargain. We've taken so many cruises now on so many different cruiselines I can't remember them all.

Our first cruise was the Elation in 2005. Neith DH or I were at all interested in cruising. We sat through a show called "Christmas with the Kranks." Thought it would make a very different, surprise type of gift for Christmas for our 4 sons. Before this, we were the Disney, Colorado ski/summer mountain bike, backpack type of people and knew it would totally surprise our boys.

I will never for get the screaming from our 11, 15, 18, & 22 year old! They continue to say that was the best Christmas ever. We pulled a similar act this Christmas, only this time since our family has expanded- one son with a wife, one with a fiance, and one with a serious girlfriend, we need four rooms for the 9 of us! :eek:

Needless to say, we are all hooked now. After getting everyone through college in a few years, we will be taking at least 2 cruises a year!!:)

Archived