Do I need a passport for my 20 month old?

mochilam

We're going on a cruise for the first time in April....Liberty of the Seas! My daughter will be 20 months at the time. Will I need a passport for her or is a copy of her birth certificate suffice for travel in the Carribeans and Mexico?

I would prefer to take a passport.

We drove up to Canada when my daughter was 18 months old... got her the passport... which did come in handy when we vacationed on a cruise a few months later.

The infant passport is only good for, what? Two years?

I think it's a good investment... carrying around the flimsy paper birth certificate gets me worried...

I would prefer to take a passport.

We drove up to Canada when my daughter was 18 months old... got her the passport... which did come in handy when we vacationed on a cruise a few months later.

The infant passport is only good for, what? Two years?

I think it's a good investment... carrying around the flimsy paper birth certificate gets me worried...

It's good for five years. I agree with you, and never understand why getting a passport is such a problem.

We're going on a cruise for the first time in April....Liberty of the Seas! My daughter will be 20 months at the time. Will I need a passport for her or is a copy of her birth certificate suffice for travel in the Carribeans and Mexico?

I would get a passport. Just worst case scenerio. If you, or anyone in your group gets hurt and needs to stay behind in a port,, or ,, you miss ship( both unlikely btw) then you may not be able to FLY home with child . You mentioned Carribeans,, and unless on an American Virgin Island,, I could see difficulties.

People will spend hundreds of dollars on ships photos, gamboling, or drinks,, but then think getting a passport is a 'waste of money" surprise me. Look at big picture. Prepare for the worst,, BUT expect the BEST!!

Get a passport and relax.

thanks for all the feedback. i''m printing out the passport application now!

Good for you! When my grandkids were born, I got each of them a Passport (Well, I sent money to their parents to get them). When they each turn five, they'll get a new one, and so on. I think you made a great decision!

Archived